PDA

View Full Version : Instruction

MissouriMrs
01-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi Ladies and Gents, Okay DH is into hunting and has quite a stash of firearms. I never remotely was interested excep that I loved to cook his haul. Our kids are now no longer iterested in hunting and as they move on I thought it would be wise to get some more instruction in the safety and use of firearms. I might not sit out in the 10 degree weather for deer, but I might head off to hunt grouse and pheasant. How do I start to find someone to instruct me, i would like to do it on the sly and and then surprise him.

ArmySGT.
01-20-2009, 05:43 PM
The firearms counter at you local Walmart, Big R, or Tractor supply usually has the current hunting regulations and call numbers for a hunter education class. A local gun shop may offer a firearms safety or hunter safety course too.

MissouriMrs
01-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for your reply ArmySgt. It was very helpful!

Mr.B
01-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I recently took hunters saftey.

Having been in the military I was thinking that that class was going to be a boring time, it wasnt! I was quite impressed with the class.

Flathead
01-23-2009, 05:26 PM
If you want to learn how to shoot a rifle accurately then attend an Apple seed shoot!!! For 2009 women, active duty personnel, and anyone under 21 shoot free!! There should be a shoot coming up close to you you can look at the schedule at www.rwva.org.

MissouriMrs
01-23-2009, 06:36 PM
To Mr. B -

My son is 16 and needs his Hunter safety course so I think I am going to attend with him. Then move on to some courses at our local firing range. Found one through a guy at our local walmart. Go Figure!

MissouriMrs
01-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Flathead, Apple seed shoot sounds interesting, so I will look it up. Thank you for the heads up!

MissouriMrs
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Again Flathead, They have an Appleseed Shoot in my town in March!

Mr.B
01-24-2009, 09:56 AM
To Mr. B -

My son is 16 and needs his Hunter safety course so I think I am going to attend with him. *Then move on to some courses at our local firing range. *Found one through a guy at our local walmart. *Go Figure!

This class only cost me $5

Boris859
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
if you are interested in pheasant or grouse hunting I would also recommend skeet shooting,this will sharpen your skills in leading and quick shots,all very useful in bird hunting,believe me,them little suckers are moving when you kick em up,and a hunters safety course of course,because none of us here would want ya to pull a Dick Cheany :)

MissouriMrs
01-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Very funny Boris,

We actually have a skeet shooting set up, but I was a St. Louis born gal and just starting to get into it! Maybe that could make for a fun day with hubby. Thanks for the idea!

Pitdog
01-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Look for classes that NRA certified instructors teach, basic Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun etc. They are informative and basic, but they will teach you much needed information, and give you an opportunity to learn about different firearms and handle them. Also the Basic Pistol fulfills requirements for CC Permits in many states. Hunter Ed is great, I teach it, but it is lacking for much Firearms specific training other than safe carrying technique and the fundamentals of gun safety which is great and necessary, but the NRA courses allow you to pursue slightly more specific training.

AARTY
01-31-2009, 06:19 PM
All fine ideas, folks! MoMrs, I think your hubby will be tickled pink to have you along on hunts or just skeet shooting! It is good to see another lady step up and look into firearm safety and use we need more women to do this. Have fun!!

Tim Horton
01-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Howdy
Having taught Firearms Safety for about 30 year in 5 states, I can tell you Moms are VERY valuable in a class. There presents says to the rest of the class this is a thing valuable to anyone. And they have the most fun on range day.

I have always advocated that women, moms, grandmas, and all girls take the class. Even if they never hunt or shoot the rest of there lives, they will have the knowledge to keep them selves and others safe in a home where firearms are present. Whether that is there own home, where they are visiting, babysitting, or any other situation you can think of.

Take the class, and enjoy.

Best wishes
Wyo