PDA

View Full Version : background check

martinemyers
01-23-2009, 06:06 PM
how long does it take to do a background check once you purchase a firearm? is it done right there in the store or does it take several days?

Flathead
01-23-2009, 06:21 PM
It should be while you wait, depending on state laws. Some states do require a waiting period for hand guns. And other states require a permit even before you can buy a hand gun. Go to a dealer in your area and they should be able to tell you every thing you need to know.

MissouriFree
01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
In missouri it takes about 5 minutes *max.
Give your drivers license while you are filling out the form and they are usuallty done before you are done filling out the form. pay'em and walk out with you gun.

rice paddy daddy
01-23-2009, 07:19 PM
On the federal form you fill out, your social security number is optional. I always put mine on there, it speeds things up. In Florida, the clerk calls it in while you're standing there, as soon as someone answers on the other end, it only takes a few seconds to get approval. At least, that's the way it happens with me. I've never had more than a traffic ticket.

duckidaho
01-24-2009, 05:29 AM
In Idaho, where I live now, it is a 5 minute process and you're out the door with your gun. I used to live in Illinois, where it took 3 days and you had to have a state permit to even look at a gun at the store. serious. Apperantly in Illinois they want to keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, and only in the hands of criminals.

snake
01-24-2009, 11:03 AM
New Jersey is the same way. 3 day waits, and permits to purchase a handgun that take quite some time to get. Glad i don't live there anymore :)

martinemyers
01-25-2009, 05:37 PM
yea a i know illnois has awful and absurd gun laws..i've heard horror stories about people being arrested and guns confiscated for simply have them in plain view in their trucks. it seems like the states that have large population, large government and consider themselves more "civilized" have much stricter gun laws.
---------------------------------
on a different note does anybody know how much transfer fees cost ballpark figure?

MissouriFree
01-25-2009, 10:12 PM
New Jersey is the same way. *3 day waits, and permits to purchase a handgun that take quite some time to get. *Glad i don't live there anymore :)

Snake,
and that after the months process of getting your card right ! I work there and thought about bring one or two of my guns out while I was there . I can use the range at Ft Dix. but gave up after I read all the rules.
where were ya at in the garden state?

Mr.B
01-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Yup it takes about 5 min's after all the paper work is filled out. Ive picked up firearms in Vermont & New Hampshire. Both the same.

snake
01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Snake,
and that after the months process of getting your card right ! I work there and thought about bring one or two of my guns out while I was there . I can use the range at Ft Dix. but gave up after I read all the rules.
where were ya at in the garden state?
I lived about 25miles north of Atlantic City, on the Barnegat Bay, nice area but WAY too crowded

docsoos
01-29-2009, 11:02 AM
QUOTE: "..... it seems like the states that have large population, large government and consider themselves more "civilized" have much stricter gun laws.......

........and massive amounts of violent crime to go along with it.

DocSoos

rice paddy daddy
01-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, doc, the states with the strictest gun laws have the highest crime rates. But then, gun control is not about reducing crime, it's about control.

snake
01-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, doc, the states with the strictest gun laws have the highest crime rates. But then, gun control is not about reducing crime, it's about control.
You got that right! 8)

crafty2002
01-30-2009, 01:57 PM
In Virginia they have up to 24 hours to complete it and if it hasn't cleared by then they have to give you the gun anyway.
I forget how it went when I bought my 30.06 but when I bought my first 9 mm I stood there waiting for about two hours and gave up and told him to just call me. The phone was ringing when I walked in the door and he said to come and get it. ::)
The second 9 I bought I didn't get until the next day.
I recently bought a .22 rifle and was at the store/gun shop when they opened and waited maybe 30 minutes and gave up again and they called me just in time for me to get there before they closed.
When I fell off the scaffold and went for broke I had to pawn a couple of things while waiting for my disability to come thru and I had to jump thru hoops to get my shotgun back. I didn't realize I had let my drivers licence expire and couldn't find my birth certificate and I had a go around at the DMV and pawn shop both.
I have never heard of anyone not having to wait in Va. But I would rather wait 24 hours if the law will keep some pee'd of dumb butt from getting a gun before he calms down and keeps him from killing someone or even not get one period. Some people just don't need guns. Every time I turn around lately there was a shooting here or there.
I know it doesn't keep the guns from all of the jerks but it helps some.
JMHO
Dennis

crafty2002
01-30-2009, 02:30 PM
I think you are also right about the laws and criminals. The states that have the strickest laws are the ones with the most violent crimes but at the same time they are the most crowed also.
I took a black guy home from work one day and after he got out of the truck there was a little traffic before I could back out and there I was setting in the middle of (insert) town, and when I turned from looking from the right back to the left I had a .38 stuck dead on my nose. They robbed me of $300+ .
That's when I bought the first 9 mm. I rode back through that place for a month looking for that??????.
Never did find him, thank God. I would probably still be in prison if I had.
I don't understand the deal about a gun in sight in a car. In Va. if you have a gun in a vehicle, it has to either be locked in the glove box or trunk, (OR) in plain site.
Shortly after I bought the first 9 I was pulled over for rolling thru a stop sign. I didn't come to a dead stop. It was one of those places that needed a yeild sign instead. ::) But I had the pistol on the center console and the officer is writing me a ticket and we wer talking when he seen the gun. He backed up, unsnapped his holster and grabbed his pistol. He didn't pull it, just held it and I mean yells, get out of the car. Again yelling he told the guy with me to put his hands on the door window.
He had us both spread eagle with our hands on top of the car in 30 seconds flat. Then he reaches in the car with his ink pen and picks my pistol up but the trigger guard and calls in the serial number to see if it belonged to me.
Then when everything checked out he popped the mag out and clearen the chamber and handed me the bullet, the mag and the pistol. I popped the clip right back in it and chambered a round, removed the clip and put the round back in it and the mag back in the gun. ;D
Then he actually backed back up to his car without taking his eyes off of me. He was scared to death just because I had a loaded gun and he had already called in and knew there weren't any warrants on me and the gun was store bought as I told him to start with.
Come to think of it, that was the fastest background check I ever had done on me.
Now that's another way of looking at the background checks. If he can do that in 5 minutes why doe they need 24 hours at a gun store??? That is the first time I thought about that. He wanted to know fast if he could lock me up for something and he found out fast that he couldn't. ;D I don't know. I give up.
Dennis

duckidaho
01-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Here in Idaho the police are pretty used to personal firearms, but I do make it a point if I get pulled over to hand the cop my concealed weapons permit when I hand him my Drivers license an let him know if I am carrying. i also keep my hands on the steering wheel. Then he knows I'm on the up and up and can decide if he wants me to step out of the car and such. But, half the state has a gun under their seat in Idaho.

crafty2002
01-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Here in Idaho the police are pretty used to personal firearms, but I do make it a point if I get pulled over to hand the cop my concealed weapons permit when I hand him my Drivers license an let him know if I am carrying. *i also keep my hands on the steering wheel. *Then he knows I'm on the up and up and can decide if he wants me to step out of the car and such. *But, half the state has a gun under their seat in Idaho.

If they find a gun under the seat here you are headed down town in a hurry. As long as one is in plain sight you are ok. Under the seat is concidered a concielded weapon and I have never bothered with getting a permit yet but thinking about it. I just hate to pay 50 bucks a year for it.
I can keep the .380 in my pocket as long as I am on my property and leave it on the console ot seat in a vehicle so I just don't worry about it.
Any time it looks like I could have a problem I just pick it up and lay it on the dash board. Problem solved. ;D
As long as it's visible I can strap a pistol on my hip and walk up the street, which I did several times when we first moved in here. I didn't know there was a drug gang that hung around on the corner until it was too late.
I can't go in a place of business with a gun even with a permit so when we first moved in, I had a .357 6 shooter and would strap it on and walk my wife to the store.
I had one of the drug dealers laugh and say what's that?
I said .357 Magnum. They put a big hole in a man. They moved on down the road away from my corner of the world. ;D
Dennis