PDA

View Full Version : Crappy trigger on Ruger 10/22

Penny_Plinker
11-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Bought Ruger 10/22 three years ago. It shoots okay except the trigger is too hard to pull. So i ordered a replacement trigger for 80 bucks or so from Midway. Husband put it in and there didn't seem to be any improvement. We recently took it to a gunsmith to try to get a trigger job. He said Ruger bought out the companies that used to sell the replacement triggers and the one we'd put in there was nuthing but a factory trigger. You have to pay 300 to get a good trigger and i just won't pay more for a trigger than what the gun's worth. The gunsmith won't just fix the factory trigger, he said he could get sued for that. He said the trigger has about an almost 9 lb pull! That's F#@ked up! So i'm going to try sell the stupid thing, it's worthless like that. I'm getting a .22 savage magnum with an adjustable trigger! Yeah BABY! Can't wait.

Penny

Wyobuckaroo
11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Howdy

Penny, don't have a stroke over that trigger......... Yet......

Most 10/22s are pretty good as they are. Some of the new ones, not many, but some are real bad.

Seems the simplest, cheapest, is to get a hammer, trigger and sear (be sure to get all three) off gun broker.com or some place like that.

Then go to rimfirecentral.com and there is all kinds of info how to make it nicer yourself. I think you are more than capable of any of the modifications they detail there.

Many times getting the replacement part, that are just older standard parts, and replacing the ones in your trigger group helps a lot.

Also, if you have had your gun apart, and taken the hammer spring out, the way you put it back in can make a BIG difference. Go to rimfirecentral.com and check for sure, but the open side of the washer that holds the spring on the strut must be in the right position. Can't remember, up or down, now.

Good luck
Wyo

Penny_Plinker
11-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks Wye, but the gunsmith had it apart and he did try some different springs in it but he said nuthing worked but he didn't want to do anything else because of the sue factor. But i'm sure he'd of put it back together right. We have two of the old model glenfield LR's that shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards, so we don't need the 10/22 and that whole ruger thing makes me mad, that they sell something like that. I could maybe try the mods, but heck two 22.s are enough, i'm going sell the semi and get the Savage .22 mag for something a little different. Gotta sell one though, because we're running out of corners to prop them in, LOL.

Penny

tufhelp
11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Have you thought about sending it back to Ruger. Their reputation for backing up what they sell is very good, and from what I hear, free... Might be woth filling out their online request for service or calling/wwriting them:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/Contact.jsp?Group=PS#

Best of luck with your problem...

OzarkMtnDaredevil
11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
No, Penny! NO! Don't go getting drastic, yet. The 10-22 is awesome and so easy and fun to work on. Go here...
www.ruger22.com
You should be able to solve the problem yourself.

In todays litigeous society, I can understand why 'smiths, and even Rugers factory, won't lighten it. It's a sad time. When I 'smithed back in the 80's and early 90's, I didn't think much of it. I did so many that I could probably do it blind-folded. I knew the majority of my customers pretty well, though.

backlash
11-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Go here.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

These people live and breath 10/22.
If they can't help no one can.

If you are set on selling it and buying something new look at the CZ line.
I have both and my CZ452 will shoot way smaller groups and it is easy to do trigger jobs on.
AC

Dawgus
11-14-2008, 09:15 AM
It's been a few years, but I put a Volquartsen trigger kit in my 1022 as well as my mk2 Ruger. Both made an incredible difference in pull weight and are much smoother. Not sure who carries them now, but I got both of my kits from Brownells at the time.

madmac
11-20-2008, 01:17 AM
I am a member of rimfirecentral and these guys know the 10/22. I put a Volquartsen hammer in mine and got the trigger pull down to a little less than 2 1/2 pounds. Got it at Midway USA about a month ago. Best money ever spent. The problem is not the trigger so much, it's the hammer.

Penny_Plinker
11-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions on this. You guys are obviously talented when it comes to tweaking and tinkering with mechanical things. And those guys on the Rimfire site know their stuff. Me, i'm real dumb about fixing guns, i only shoot them.

So the gunsmith is gonna sell the gun on e-bay and see how much he can get for it. I took the scope off and put it on the new Savage. (I can at least mount scopes and site them in pretty good. That is a sweet little shooter with an acu-trigger. It was shooting cloverleafs at 50 yards and splattering full pop cans turned bottom forward at 100 yards. Didn't try it any further out than that. Didn't get to kill anything with it yet, it's been too cold for the squirrels. I just love the Savage acu-trigger, it's a hundred dollar trigger, comes with the gun, and it has built in safety features that don't allow it to fire if it gets bumped.

Penny

ArmySGT.
11-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Where did this gunsmith go to school? Doing a trigger job is what gunsmiths do. Means cutting sears and triggers until you get the pull you want with safe engagement. Not one of those AGI gun plumbers I hope. Get a new gunsmith. *rant off

The volquartsens are nice triggers. I am sure you could have polished up the sides of the trigger and hammer (were they pivot) by putting some 800 grit flat on a piece of glass, then polish in a figure eight pattern. Check if the pins are straight, and some parts jobber at the factory didn't just beat them in to make quota. Check for burrs on parts and remove with a diamond hone.

Hangups and such that maybe a problem (like burrs) show up as shiny new metal, scratches and gouges ofcourse. Take it apart, clean with a solvent that doesn't leave a residue, (I like brake cleaner). Go over the parts in areas where they contact each other or the receiver with a black sharpie, reassemble, cycle the fire arm several times without oil or grease. disassemble and look now at the parts and see where the ink from the sharp has been rubbed off.

Atleast on the next 10/22 you by. QC has been slipping in all manufacturers.

rice paddy daddy
11-21-2008, 07:03 PM
A Savage 22 Mag bolt action is one sweet piece. :)
I've got an older one, before they put the Accu-trigger in, it's still nice.
I keep my 10-22 for a knock around rifle, for accuracy my Marlin 60 has it beat 6 ways to Sunday.

backlash
11-22-2008, 02:17 AM
So the gunsmith is gonna sell the gun on e-bay

Guns can not be sold on Ebay.
If he told you that I would wonder about him.

Penny_Plinker
11-22-2008, 10:06 AM
So the gunsmith is gonna sell the gun on e-bay

Guns can not be sold on Ebay.
If he told you that I would wonder about him.

Yeah, i was on E-bay to see if it was on there yet, and there doesn't seem to be any guns on there ??? So he must have meant Gunbroker.com. It might take him awhile to get it on there. I don't wonder about him though, this is a small community and he;s has a honest reputation.

Penny

Penny_Plinker
11-22-2008, 10:15 AM
A Savage 22 Mag bolt action is one sweet piece. :)
I've got an older one, before they put the Accu-trigger in, it's still nice.
I keep my 10-22 for a knock around rifle, for accuracy my Marlin 60 has it beat 6 ways to Sunday.

RPD, i have a old (seventies maybe) Glenfield model 20 and and also a model 25. Like em.

Penny

Penny_Plinker
11-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Where did this gunsmith go to school? Doing a trigger job is what gunsmiths do. Means cutting sears and triggers until you get the pull you want with safe engagement. Not one of those AGI gun plumbers I hope. Get a new gunsmith. *rant off

Don't know how he learned his business. I think he's capable but afraid of getting sued. Anyway, problem solved, i was never that interested in rapid fire. I'll stick with bolt action and Savage with a trigger good from the box.

Penny

OzarkMtnDaredevil
11-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, Penny. As long as you're happy, we're happy! :)
Some of us just get a bit disturbed when someone doesn't like our favorite football team (GO FALCONS). ;D

You done good. A 10/22 can lead to an addiction once you start messing with it.

Clem
12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
As they come from the box, 10-22s tend to have crappy triggers and casual accuracy. Their biggest strength is the aftermarket parts available to improve things.

I tried improving the trigger of my 10-22 with parts kits. I was never happy with it. I rebuilt the gun with a Green Mountain barrel and put it in a Hogue stock. I finally broke down and got a Kidd trigger. IMO, it is the best, bar none. I now have an accurate gun that is easy to shoot well with a terrific trigger.

dksac2
02-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Brownells, www.brownells.com (http://www.brownells.com) sells several different trigger sear combos that work excellent. The other problem is slop in the trigger group because it is too wide. I have had several 10-22's come into my shop where there was so much slop, the sear would not fit the hammer due to the two not being parrellel to each othe and the sear and hammer would hang up. Brownells sells shim kiits made by ron powers. These shims take the slop out and allow the hammer and sear to mate correctly. This will not lower the weight of the trigger pull, but will give a cleaner breaking trigger. Be advised that you will need to make or buy a slave pin to re assemble the trigger group. Even if you do buy the aftermarket trigger/sear combos, get the shims. They make a world of difference.

Best Regards, John K

docsoos
02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Even if you do buy the aftermarket trigger/sear combos, get the shims. They make a world of difference.

Best Regards, John K

+100.

DocSoos

NHForester
04-20-2010, 01:10 AM
In my opinion, all a stock 10/22 needs is to drop in a Volquartsen Competition Hammer. It will reduce the trigger pull to a very crisp, 2 1/2 pounds or so.