PDA

View Full Version : M-1 tanker grand dont work.

sethwyo
11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
There is an M-1 tanker grand that throws a two foot group at 100yrds, It is a springfield armory 30-06.

Has the barel being shortened to '18 destroyed the twist of the rifling? Its as bad as the mini14's with the non existent acurusy.

Whats the problem?

madmac
11-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Without knowing a little more I am not sure. Has the crown been bumped or damaged in someway. It would only take a small dent in the crown to mess up accuracy. Are the sights tight, if using a scope, is the scope secure as well as scope mounts and bases. Not much left to look for. Springfield armory is as good as it gets and the garand is a fine rifle. I personally love the tanker.

Mr.B
11-30-2008, 01:18 AM
I don’t know much about the M1 Garand. But it always seems to throw me off when I see a rifle labeled as a “tanker issue rifle“. Most of these “tanker” rifles are after market alterations. *I’ve seen Mausers, Mosin Nagants, Garands, that’s about it.

Most tankers where issued pistols or SMG’s.

I wish there was actully some tanker issue rifles when I was in cause crawling out of a tanker with a full sized
M-16a2 and getting hung up on the hatches was kind of annoying, more so when you where in a hurry!

So what am I trying to say? Well..I’m just a little skeptical on after market alterations on surplus rifles & what they really do to the rifle besides making it look cooler. *It dose look like a super handy rifle, just my 2 cents.

Are you shooting from a rest? From the prone or what, are your shot groupings next to each other or all over the place?

-B

sethwyo
11-30-2008, 04:18 AM
orignal sights, both tight, I am shooting from a bench rest on sand bags, I dont kow if the crown is ok, It doesnt look damaged, but mabey the angle is off.

I fired some surplus in it when i first got it, it had 6in groups at 100 which is normal for surplus ammo. Iv been working some reloads for it and tryed it today, I couldnt hit a 12x12 *with it, the trigger feels like its bound up and wont release the hammer, and it dont kick the clip out, I have dissisimbled it and cant find any problems. I am refering to my offical military manual for information.

The rifling was wrong on the eary mini 14's ruger sold, these sorry rifles threw a 1 to 2 foot group, Does the rifling twist differnce now make a difernce in the m1?

Mr.B
11-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Bring it to a gunshop and have them look it over. Might be worth it. Thats what I would do.

-B

madmac
11-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Ok, maybe it's your reloads. No I am not suggesting you don'y know what your doing but I have reloaded for years and have found that some guns just don't like some loads. based on my experience let me suggest a 165 grain boatail with IMR 4350 or 4064 powder. I don't recall the load now but I have had great results with 4350. I know I got the load out of the Speer reloading book and it was pushing around 2750 FPS. I stayed 3 grains below max load. I was getting 1 inch groups out of an 1903A Springfield bolt action rifle. I have used the load in other 30.06 rifles with as good a results. That tanker is gonna want heavy bullets that's why I suggested 165 grain. 180 may work pretty well also.

sethwyo
11-30-2008, 11:29 PM
The first thing i did when it wouldnt hit was to try some of the surplus in it again, But when the same ammo wont group like it did a month ago, there is something wrong either with the rifle, which has been hanging on the wall, Or with my head.

I can still make figure 8's with my other 30-06, But its been suggested that my eyes cant zero the front sight in the middle.
I have also been told that the short barrel wont affect the rifling twist for accuracy.
I burned up alot of expensive shells today, And i cant figure it out.

jim
12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
That load is 57 gr. of IMR 4350 under a 165-8 gr. spitzer. It's a honey load for the 06, and requires little if any tuning to get great groups. Most rifles shoot it well.

Take the Tanker to a smith and see what he says.

jim

Tim Horton
12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Howdy

Only "tanker" model I have been around was owned by a guy at work. I got to shoot it and it was really accurate, but really loud. Was very reliable, but it was also in 308 Win caliber, not 06.

Wonder if the combination of short op rod, 06 chambering, and load make it finicky ? I would rule out something being loose, bent, nicked, then work on ammo issues.

Good luck
Wyo

sethwyo
12-02-2008, 02:37 AM
These are korean surplus, HS HXP 77. 150 grn fmj with 54 gn of ball.

By pulling the bullet and dumping 6gn of powder to make a load of 48 rn it makes a 2in load for my remington bolt gun.

I generaly reduce the powder charge by several grains to make more accurate ammo from surplus.

I took some of my LC out and also DEN, the lc wusnt accurate, and the den wont go off.

I turned down a .308 tanker because i wanted the 06.

Iv taken the whole thing apart several times and cant find anything wrong.

rice paddy daddy
12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Shooting any ammo in a Garand that does not have the same burn rate as M2 Ball is asking for trouble. Bent OP rod, if you're lucky, ruined reciever is possible.
Go to www.surplusrifleforum.com
or *www.m14tfl.com/upload/
Both places have excellent info.
And MrB is right - tankers were issued M3 Grease Guns, even up to Vietnam. I know, I got one from a Marine tanker in 1969, when the 3rd MARDIV left Nam ;D

sethwyo
12-02-2008, 10:56 PM
This korean ammo was made for the m1, Packed in m1 clips in bandileros. I sure didnt want to risk ruining it with other ammo, Like off the shelf hi power hunting ammo. Or that Fail safe stuff that is blowing guns up.

madmac
12-02-2008, 11:08 PM
That load is 57 gr. of IMR 4350 under a 165-8 gr. spitzer. It's a honey load for the 06, and requires little if any tuning to get great groups. Most rifles shoot it well.

Take the Tanker to a smith and see what he says.

jim

Thanks Jim, that's the load. Real nice load and cup pressure is not high as it is not a max load. Can't imagine that load hurting any rifle. Slow burning powder with mild recoil. Funtions in autos as well.

Tuckahoe
12-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Back about 15 years ago (may have been a little longer) I had a fit for one of the new M1 tankers on the market at the time they were going for about $500. I went to the Fayetteville NC gunshow found one and plinked down the money. I got it home and it shot just fine. It was loud and threw a ball of fire as big as a basket ball. I wished that I had gotten the .308 rather than the 06 because they had both at the time. I know M1's are suposed to be in 06 so I went with that school of thought too. I always liked it and it was handy in and out of the truck hunting. Accuracy was about 5 inches at 100 yds about as I expected. Would like to have another one if it came along.

Mad_Professor
12-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Has the barrel been cleaned? If so is it free of copper fouling too?

Many "shot out" guns have been had cheap due to neglect and all they needed was a proper cleaning.

Clean it well with a bronse brush/solvent followed up with wet patches. Use a solvent that removes copper. Leave the barrel wet a few days then hit it again with wet patches, if you blue/green gunk, you've got a copper mine and need to keep cleaning til it's gone.

jim
12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks Jim, that's the load. Real nice load and cup pressure is not high as it is not a max load. Can't imagine that load hurting any rifle. Slow burning powder with mild recoil. Funtions in autos as well.

Once I spent the afternoon humiliating young shooters useing brand new rifles. My rifle was a Springfield 03' and the load was 55 gr of IMR 4350 under a 150 gr. FMJ. I was doing far better at 300 yds off hand and open sights than they were doing off the bench with scopes. I let a few of them shoot the wonder rifle, and the recoil and that steel butt-plate was a bit much for them.

jim

sethwyo
12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Its not really a tanker, The m1 was experimented with in WWII to make a more suitable rifle, The main want for changs was it was too long and clumsy, Men liked the carbine, but it didnt have the power and range, so some m1's wore shortened, Some in the pacific, Where the flash even in daylight, In the jungles was like a flash bulb going off and dissorented the shooter and people on either side of him, it also gave away the position of the shooter. Some wore done stateside and in europe and used by some paratroopers, But the OP rod had not been shortened, And caused malfunctions. I have been told these malfunctions wore a failure to kick the bolt back properly. Also that it wusnt untill '66 that the army began doing it again and properly. I dont know if the one this post is of is one done by the military, or by some one in his shop or garage. There are '18 .308 barals made for converting any m1 to a tanker 308.

sethwyo
12-04-2008, 02:13 AM
So i tried it at 50 yrds today, and get a 2in group, fire it at 100 and 3 rnds are 20in apart, I wonder if its the front sight, At 100 yrds the front sight is bigger than a 12in wood post, To my eye it looks ON target, but by only a few thousands of an inch one way or the other on my end are more than a few incher out at 100yrds.
What looks like the same place on the bullseye is not. Maby a narower front sight?