PDA

View Full Version : My "new" FR-8 Mauser

Mr.B
11-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Well heres the newest rifle in my collection. I was looking for one all over, and finally found one. Spanish FR-8 Mauser in 7.62x51 NATO.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/spanishfr8/index.asp

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/supayob/fr8004.jpg

madmac
11-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Now that is sweet. It looks to be nice and short and as for the .308 you can't go wrong. Wouldn't mind one of them myself.

kawalekm
11-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Interesting. My first thought was that it was a "fake" gun that was cut and pasted. Why would a bolt action need a gas tube? Interesting background story. Well, you got your self a great deer rifle. Put a rubber recoil pad on it and you're all set. Do you plan on doing any refinishing or will you keep it stock. I refinished the stock on an ugly Swedish mauser in True-oil and found the prettiest walnut I've ever owned.
Enjoy,
Michael

crafty2002
11-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I thought the same thing, Kawalekm, as soon as I saw the picture. I didn't put my finger on what didn't look right at first, and then my grandsons came in to "Worry me" some more, LOL.
The Eli asked me straight out, what is that thing under the barrel and pointed to it. I said it's a gas tube but it ain't supposed to be there.
That was 15 minutes of trying to explain to a 6 and 8 year old what I was trying to say.
I had to tell them I didn't know. Then Braden says it looks like your other rifle (the SKS) and he couldn't understand it was a bolt action. And I couldn't understand why a bolt action had a gas tube.
Kept thinking about it and came back for another look just now, and thanks to your post, I pulled up the sight and there it was.
But it looks like someone cut an sks and a bolt action in half and stuck them together.

It does look like a nice rifle Mr.B ... With some practice and a good rest she will probably drop a deer a ways out.
I bought a couple of old bolts about 6 or 7 years ago for 35 bucks each and sold them both in a couple days for 75 bucks each. And I wasn't even trying to sell them. Wish I hadn't have now. :'(
Dennis

colby1979
11-28-2008, 03:07 PM
These were used in spain to help train troops through the transition to the cetme. If you put one of these next to a cetme or g3 they have the same barrel length, flash hider and sighting system. I have also heared some of their special forces used these rifles. I have one that has been bubbafied, it wsa drilled and taped for a scope and the rear sight was removed. I plan to weld the sight back on and make a little scout style rifle out of it. These normaly shoot very well and are very rugged. Good Score!!!!

Mr.B
11-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Yup when I first saw one online I though "what the heck"? Then I read up on the thing. And learned basically like Colby1979 said its a stopgap rifle. I dont know if Ill use it for hunting. I use a beat up old CHinese Type-53 I bought from Omega Arms for $50 including shipping to harvest deer.

Anyways heres a good review on the rifle, sorry I have to rub it in!! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYpVV3Ebe0

crafty2002
11-29-2008, 07:08 AM
On the youtube video the guy says something or another about a difference between the 7.62 and the .308. I have always been told and everything I read said they are one and the same cartridge.
If there is a diference in them, what is it.

Mr.B
11-29-2008, 12:08 PM
On the youtube video the guy says something or another about a difference between the 7.62 and the .308. I have always been told and everything I read said they are one and the same cartridge.
If there is a diference in them, what is it.

From what I understand pressure and headspacing?

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/308vs762nato/index.asp

Florida_boy
11-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Mr. B.,
Those are really nice rifles. I had one several years ago myself. I found that they shoot 6-10" high at 100 yards. The best cure is to build up the front sight to make it taller TO BRING IT DOWN TO A 100 YARD ZERO.

jim
12-01-2008, 07:01 PM
The CETME used lower pressure rounds than our M14, and the FAL. I think around 2,400 to 2,500 fps or so. It may be safe with factory .308, but I'd ask a gunsmith first.

jim

Mr.B
12-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Ive seen a good amount of surplus NATO 7.62x51 at gun shows. From what Im told its mostly South African.

I picked up 440 rounds off a guy at work who didnt need the stuff anymore for $100.

Just to be on the safe side I go with the NATO stuff. And since its a bolt action rifle I seem to go through the stuff allot slower! ;D

colby1979
12-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I never thought I would say this but thats a great deal on SA in todays market. I put away a good bit of Hirt and Port back when it was under $200 per 1000, sure wish i had bought more as it is over $500 per 1000 now.