PDA

View Full Version : Added an M1 30 carbine to my battery

Tuckahoe
10-15-2008, 01:13 PM
I added a M1 .30 carbine (general motors) to my collection of homeland security weapons. It came with four 15 round mags and a 30 round mag. Anyone else own a carbine?

rice paddy daddy
10-15-2008, 05:58 PM
;D
I like em so much I have three!! One USGI, and two civilians.
#1 - Inland (general Motors) 1943 issue, post war rebuild. post war rebuilds usually have the lever type safety and adjustable rear sight.
#2 - Universal (civilian)
#3 - Auto Ordnance (civilian).
The Universal is my truck rifle with four 15 round mags.
I have found the 15 rounders feed better than the 30's.
For serious social use load your mags with either Remington soft points or Winchester semi jacketed hollow points.
Do you ever go to any of the military surplus forum websites? My favorites are:
www.surplusrifleforum.com
www.m14tfl.com
also try www.m1carbinesinc.com
Have fun!!

Tuckahoe
10-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the links. I have always liked the 30 carbine and have owned a few over the years. I got a good deal on this one. My carbine is dated 2-44. It came with 1-30 round mag and 4-15 round mags.

madmac
10-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Man you guys are lucky. They are getting expensive. I had one many years ago and I am still kicking myself for selling it. What a sweet little carbine.

kawalekm
10-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I thought I was getting reamed a couple of years ago when I paid 399$ for mine. Low and behold, the latest SALE price for one at the local Big 5 sports store was 799$. THATS the sale price! Regular was 999$!
Michael

crafty2002
10-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I've never owned one but have shot a few of them way back. Maybe just 2 carbines I think and I shot 1 regular M-1 wuth the long barrel. But they are both sweet.
Closest I got to owning one of them is the poor mans M-1, a SKS, LOL.
It has been a long time since I shot one, so help me out here if you will.
Am I right in thinking that the regular M-1 came out first, had about a 22" - 24" barrel, and was a 30.06???
And then the carbine came out with that fired a lot shorter bullut than the 30.06 with something like a 16" barrel for the paratroopers???
It has been a long long time since I shot those "guns". I think it was before I even went into the army and I can't even remember who it was that had them now. I remember him shooting them and I shot a few times. But I can't put a face to it.
If I am right about it, what is the difference between the 30.06 and the .30 cal. and what is the range on both of them.
Thanks
Dennis

sethwyo
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM
The military had the M1 grand rifle in the late 1930's that fired the 30-06. *It was/is semi automatic and held 8 rounds in a clip that automanticaly was thrown from the gun when empty. *Some of these wore shortened to 18 inch barrels and used by the paratroopers, and aslo some in the pacific, but never issued very much as thay malfunctioned. Today these style M-1's are called tanker grands. *

The military also had the M1 carbine. It held 15 rounds in a box magazine that was detachable. *The cartrige is about 1 inch in length, And makes the 110 gr slug go about 1900 fps.

later the m2 carbine came out which was the same as the m1 carbine except it was select fire. During the korean war the US military purchased 30 round capasity magazines from japan for the carbine.

The carbine is not a rifle and was built as a subsitute for a pistol. Its good to a hundred yards, and pretty maxed out at 150 yards.

Theyeti
11-06-2008, 03:49 AM
So as a defensive weapon a decent choice as typically the average person has no business shooting at anyone who is beyond 100 yards.