PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good price for this Mosin Nagant?

Jared
08-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I saw this in the paper:

Mosin-Nagant M91/30 Like New 79.99

It's at Mountaintop Gun Shop, not from an individual. Is that a good price?
Jared

hunter63
08-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I'd buy it for that, local Gander Mountain has one left (picked over) for $129 right now.

Jared
08-02-2008, 05:25 PM
I didn't realize that the bolt on one of these goes straight up when you eject a round. I don't see how a person could scope one without having a new bolt handle welded on and replacing the stock or cutting a detent in the existing stock. (I had planned on replacing it) I don't think I'm willing to put that much money into one when I could buy a new marlin XL-7 for just a bit more than the cost of the M-N and a new synthetic stock.
Jared

hunter63
08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
That's why it's $79 bucks, your call.................

OzarkMtnDaredevil
08-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I didn't realize that the bolt on one of these goes straight up when you eject a round. I don't see how a person could scope one without having a new bolt handle welded on and replacing the stock or cutting a detent in the existing stock. (I had planned on replacing it)
Jared. One of our first projects in Gunsmithing school was to bend and reshape a bolt on an old Mauser. Any competant 'smith should be able to do this for you.
As for the stock, the 'smith should be able to do that as well. It's simply cut a little deeper, swept back and refinished to accept the handle.

hunter63
08-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Was thinking about this :
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=359265
But decided to leave mine the way they are, just funto shoot.............

wy0mn
08-04-2008, 12:00 AM
They make these for Mausers too http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/insta-mount-for-mosin-nagant-rifles-/products_id/441

Well, crap!
Wife says I got more money in my piggy bank than I thought, so I may as well get a Nagant too.
I've talked myself outta it twice at least, once by rationalizing "need" to myself. I figured another 1000rds of 7.62x39 for a gun I already had was preferable to buying another.

Pitdog
08-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Bolt handle on Nagant is too short to bend over. Gotta' cut and weld, I may be able to get a pic of one I just did if someone can post it for me. Got scope mount on it and in a synthetic stock. Gonna' bed it and Cerakote the metal and make a SUPER MEGA all weather truck gun out of it I guess.
Don't forget the safety can be a real PITA with a scope on it too.

wy0mn
08-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Mornin' all.
Hey Pit
Do these things have the palm safety in the buttend of the bolt like an Arisaka does?

kawalekm
08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Another alternative is a "scout mount" used with a long eye-relief pistol scope. Here's a company that sells one.
http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mount.html#mosin
Also check out www.cheaperthandirt.com. They usually have one or two pages worth of Mosin accessories.

By the way, prices around here have been going up recently, and 80$ today sounds like a deal from yesterday.
Michael

Pitdog
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, kinda'. Ya' gotta' pull it out and twist it counterclockwise to engage it, and pull it back and twist it clockwise to disengage it. I'm working on re-engineering a safety for them sos a man doesn't have to work for it. Great hunting round, but who wants to have to play twister to get it ready to fire?
I traded a semi-inlet stock to a firend who needed one for a Weatherby (expensive piece of wood). So I took the Nagant and (m-44 carbine in excellent condition) and am projecting with it. I will probably wind up selling or trading it after I have played a while.

Bruenor
08-04-2008, 10:00 PM
My very first gun of any king was a 91/30 Mosin Nagant. I bought it for $79 at a gun show, and I LOVE it. That's less than the price of most BB guns! I bought 440 rounds of ammo for $85 ($0.19 a round), and I was set. It's a blast to take out to the range, and I liked it so much that I would a carbine version of it as well. You should hear that thing when it goes off!

For that price, I'd get it. In fact, buy a couple. Just remember, most ammo you'll find for it is military surplus, which means corrosive primers, so be sure to clean it well after every time firing it.