PDA

View Full Version : " The Thumper"

hunter63
07-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Well boys, things getting a little boring at the range?
How about this to liven things up:
The "Thumper" conversion .450 conversion for the Bushmaster.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=28286

What do you think?
Guess the link just directs you to the home page, so for anyone intrested the "key word box, enter xx-22-9166-016

Florida_boy
07-20-2008, 10:32 AM
I've looked at them before and even thought about it for a while. It looks to me like you're getting a semiautomatic .45-70 on a AR-15 platform.

It looks like it would have to be a reloading project as well. It would be nice to hear someone tell about their reloading experience with it as well.

Happy Trails and God Bless,
FB

wy0mn
07-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Never cared for large recoil semi-autos, if ya gotta take time to get back on target ya got time to work a proper, stronger action.
Sort'a like some bird hunters, overgunned with a auto 12ga. After the first round they are just making dangerous noise in the general direction of the target.
Just my thoughts...
Lex

rAcErRicK
07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Yea, wy0min, me too, kinda' like a p!$$ ant with a loaf of bread. If I got recoil, I want some steel out there to share it with me first. :o

hunter63
07-21-2008, 08:10 PM
It would centrally add another dimension to the old AR, as they actions are interchangeable...........
I just thought it was cool.

ArmySGT.
07-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Bushmaster .450 Upper Complete Kit
It's called "Thumper" and it's capable of taking any game animal in North America. Engineered to mount on your mil-spec AR-15 lower, this 16" model hurls the 250-grain Hornady SST/FT .450 Bushmaster bullet downrange at 2,200 fps. Though not designed as a long-range caliber, there's nothing on this continent capable of standing up to the firepower of Thumper and inside 200 yards its accuracy is outstanding. Recoil has been compared to that of a 20-gauge shotgun. A tubular-aluminum forend allows the barrel to free-float from the nut forward to enhance accuracy. Chrome lining in both the bore and chamber makes the .450 Bushmaster easy to clean and extends barrel life. A five-round magazine is included.

Doesn't sound like it is very heavy recoiling to me, with the heavier carrier group, recoil spring, compensator, and the straight line for recoil............. I don't think it would be harsh and would be fast for a follow up shot as well.

wy0mn
07-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks Paul, that explained it pretty well.

Redneck translation:For your shooting enjoyment, and enhanced accuracy, much of the power has been bled away by damping devices.
chuckle

I'd like to shoot one too. I'll bet it would be a hoot on wild boar!

ArmySGT.
07-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I just copied and pasted the ad. The last sentence is mine. I agree it would be black magic on hogs too.