PDA

View Full Version : can anyone recomend a good pistel?

traper
05-08-2008, 11:11 PM
i want to get a pstol but i dont no what kind to get because i want it for pretection but i dont want something that kicks like a 45 i want to be able to fire fast and acurat but something stronger than a.22

GreatDane
05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Erm... A 9mm?

High_Desert
05-09-2008, 10:34 PM
May I ask why you think the .45 "kicks" too much?

Also, this is a difficult question for people to help with unless they have more information about your situation, if you plan to carry concealed. ect...

Everybody loves to help but really need more info.

Best regards,
HD

hunter63
05-10-2008, 12:15 AM
My brother got circumcised and can't "pistel?" next week.
Sorry couldn't resist.

My vote

Ruger GP100 .38/357, won't kick much with .38's, but can do some serious damage with .357.

Less to go wrong with a revolver, will fire most any thing the fit's in the chamber and you don't have to chase brass.

jim
05-12-2008, 12:32 AM
I've had bad luck with the last four Rugers I've bought. Got rid of them because they all shot so far to the right, that the adjustable sights couldn't bring them to a zero. I've never had this problem with Colts or S&W's, so I recommend them. Get a 4" bbl .357 and practice with the .38 Spl target loads.

jim

wy0mn
05-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Come on hunter63, its probably pestle. However a pestle is useless without a mortar, and if you got a mortar who needs a pistol?

MooseToo
05-12-2008, 12:43 PM
can you do concealed carry with a motor - ?

wy0mn
05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
With a large enough muffler! lol

Hey Trap, its all in good clean fun.
I'm a big bore fan in most everything. I want WMD effect downrange and am willing to pay the price in recoil @ my end. Hits count for sure, but I want fewer hits (or only one) with enough oomph to settle the matter fast, whether it be a hombre or an elk.

Lanark_Sixgunner
05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Get yourself a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 in .357 Mag. *If that has too much kick, load it with .38's for a while.

yodersmart
05-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Lots of good advise here so far - my 2 cents worth would be to spend some quality time at your local gun range trying out several weapons. every person is different - what is "too much" recoil for one may be "just right" for another. The important thing is to be able to use your chosen pea shooter when your adrenalin is pumping and you are so worked up you couldn't spell you name, let alone remember how to disengage 3 safeties, work the action, and place a round on target (and usually at 3am when the sugarplums are still dancing in your head).

find a weapon you are comfortable with, then practice with in until you can operate the weapon without thought - this way your concentration is on your target and the decision you must make about putting holes in it rather than thinking about which button releases the slide.

As a side note, a large dog has a lot fewer moving parts... ;D

Hope this helps

FotoTomas
05-25-2008, 06:10 AM
My personal favorite as a self defense pistol is the GLOCK 26. High capacity magazines are available, same consistant trigger pull, small size, extensive aftermarket support, easily concealed but effective as a belt gun. VERY ACCURATE!

If I were limited to only one pistol for all of my police and personal defense needs then the G26 would be my pick.

Once I retire from daily badge carrying the S&W Model 19 will be my "goto" gun for personal defense and utility purposes.

madmac
05-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Glock 22 It is a .40 cal. Plenty of stopping power, works great and is easy to tear down to clean. I have two of them and it's all the gun you need. Recoil is not too bad and you can carry 15 rounds in the mag. I carry one as a duty weapon as well as one when I am out and about. Accuracy is very good as well. Good luck with your choice, be safe and it wouldn't hurt to take a concelled weapons course as you will learn a lot about your gun as well as the laws.

Stinger
06-27-2008, 10:50 PM
:) Sure!

But, first, I've got to ask: How does a 45 (acp) kick? ;)

For people (mostly women) who are genuinely concerned about recoil and, still, want something with a little, 'smack' to it, I usually recommend a pistel (Now, you've got me doing it!) :P chambered in 38 special and stoked with light wadcutter target loads.

Has the thought occurred to anyone that if the OP doesn't want to handle a 45 acp, then, 'Why' would he want something that kicks even worse and is more difficult to control like 40 S&W?