PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 12

Av8rTx
03-13-2008, 03:46 PM
My grandfather, 94, gave me his old shotgun and 2 barrels. He has had this and others for as long as I can remember. He hasn't used it in years due to failing eye sight etc. I discovered that the bolt/carrier assembly is stuck all the way back and wont engage with the part that pulls it forward to pick up the next shell etc. He also mentioned it wasn't always ejecting the spent shells back in the 80's or whenever he used it last. Was wondering if anyone could advise me on getting this thing to at least function moderately until I get it to a gunsmith. Thanks

remington
03-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Maybe a good cleaning is all it needs. Sometimes the gun is only gummed up. Break it down and give it a good cleaning.

Av8rTx
03-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks Remington. I did just that last night, spent a little more time with it and allowed myself to be a bit more "persuasive" than I had been and sure enough I freed up. Now I'll have that extractor looked at.

OzarksJohn
03-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Howdy.

Had a similar incident with my Grandfather's M12. It was so gummy once at 20 below that I could barely pump a second shot into it. Tore it down and scrubbed out about 60 years worth of crud, replaced a firing pin, and it hasn't hiccupped in 20 years. Those old Winchester 12's are almost bullet proof given a little maintenance.OzarksJohn