PDA

View Full Version : nef single shot

moontrapper
01-06-2007, 01:36 AM
just a question i am thinking of buying an nef pardner single shot in 12 gauge and i was wondering if you could shoot slugs through it?
since i am looking for that one gun solution for a survival gun im into more of the minimalist thing so the least that can go wrong firearm for the boonies is what i am looking for range is a non-issue for me as i am really nearsighted ,but shotgun range is good so any thoughts?

ZOOBEAR
01-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Yep.

scoutinlife
01-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Yep Single shots are great the only one I would't shoot is slugs out of a full choke barrel moddified ect good to go! Just my two cents worth and it will be a great all purpose gun for ya! ;)

Tuckahoe
01-06-2007, 01:53 PM
I believe the NEF's are all choked Improved Cylinder this would be your best bet for an all around shotgun. I have an H&R single shot that I got back in 1975 that I still use from time to time. I added one of those elastic shell holders to the stock for five quick rounds.

hunter63
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Yes you can.
The first one I ever bought was cyl bore and came with a peep sight just for slugs, 'corse I used it for almost everything.
Still have it, it's the "truck gun" now.
Also have a couple of rifles and a nef/h&r 10 ga.

clawhammerdan
01-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I had a NEF .12 ga. (single shot). The thing was so light, it was the most brutal shotgun I ever owned. Sold it. Took it rabbit hunting (as a spare) and an extra guy showed up at the bunny party. He didn't have a gun, so I told him he could use it but I warned him about the kick. He took a "practice" round with it, and then declined. He was the "beagle" for the rest of us that afternoon!!!

hunter63
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Repost from the bench/ loading thread
(Hardest hitting gun I own)

Bought a H&R 12 ga, for shotgun deer season.(1970's)
Cyl bore, peep site/front blade (like a rifle).
Back then, the forearm was just pressed on to a clip under the barrel.( They now have a screw, good thing!)

So, bought some Brenneke slugs, (supposed to be the "hot set up at the time), and out to the range we go.

Set up my target @15yds just to see how it shot. Loaded it up, aimed and pulled the trigger.

It kicked up, pulled the forearm off the barrel, thumb sticking out, caught my nail on my eyebrow, cut it open.
From the recoil, didn't realize I had pushed the break button after the shot, so with the forearm in my left hand, when the gun came down,(no forearm) the barrel fell off at my feet.

It was laying on the ground, smoke coming out both ends.
Forearm in my left hand, stock and action in my right, blood running down my eyes.
I thought it had blown up!
After I gathered what was left of my self, checked the target and found that I had drilled 10x.

Only gun I own the makes it a toss-up, who gets up first, you, or what you shot at! ( still have it)
P.S. Not your "stop sign gun")

Star1pup
01-20-2007, 04:35 PM
I think you can get a rifled barrel for NEF so you would have both if you want it. I've heard that the 12 gauges kick the snot out of you with slugs, but that the 20 gauges are great. I Have an H&R Hunstman in muzzleloader and it is deadly accurate.

hunter63
01-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Yes you can, 12 or 20 ga (have the 20 ga rifled barrel, haven't shot it yet)
Their $60 bucks each.
http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Look down the page.

Eli80Cal
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
An interesting thing about them also is that you can put a shotgun barrel on a rifle frame, but you cannot put a rifle barrel on a shotgun frame. Dont know if you are even considering the rifle version. Great little gun. Recoil is stiff, but manageable, and slugs shoot just fine.

ozarksnick
04-26-2007, 08:58 PM
I love my NEF 20ga, and they now come in whatever choke you want.

I had a 12ga once, and I miss it now. I think I'm gonna stop in the pawn shop to see if they have any in stock.

Yeah, it kicks a bit. But not too bad. Specially if you put one o them slip-on rubber butt pad deals you can get for $10 at WalFarts.

bigswamp
06-20-2007, 12:50 AM
If I was you I would buy an NEF rifle, and later a shotgun barrel. I've had an NEF 30/30 for years, and just ordered a 20 ga barrel. As I get older, a little less kick matters.

BigSwamp

jjspirko
12-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Just a comment about the statement that most NEFs are IC choked. I beg to differ most are modified and you can get full chokes as well. I agree I would not go tossing slugs out of a full choke but other wise have at it.

I love NEFs own two rifle frames an many many barrels.

mike82934
12-31-2007, 08:02 PM
I have the 12ga, and yes, it kicks like a mule. My wife shot it once and has never shot it since. I shot it about ten or twelve times before my shoulder turned into hamburger.
Shortly after, we got a Limbsaver pad for it...I would recommend the same for anyone. Now I can shoot it all day and have only minor bruising. ;D
That said, the 20ga has hardly any kick to it at all.

remington
01-03-2008, 10:55 PM
I had the 20 ga slug gun with rifled barrel and sights. It didn't kick that bad. You knew the gun went off but it wasn't that bad.

dannistim
01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
there is a yahoo group devoted to nothing but ner/hr1871 rifles

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/nef-singleshot/

This is sort of off topic but, I bought a .223 survivor rifle for my son when he was 12. I really appreciate how deeply recessed the crown of the muzzle is on that gun since my son is not very coordinated and the muzzle has hit the dirt on more than one occasion with no damage to the crown. Also the rifle makes NO noise when cocked.