PDA

View Full Version : Your first gun?

hunter63
09-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Reading thru the threads, some of them end up as a discussion on what gun to use, caliber, action etc.

It seems that most of us can just about buy pretty much anything we want or need now.
I can remember my first gun being a .22 SS, bolt, being bought with paper route money.

But it seemed that my father had either inherited, traded for, or in one case won a 12 gauge SS w/ my uncle in a saloon "punch card" during the depression. That gun (which I still have) is very worn and has killed just about anything you can name.

So, his deer rifle was a .303 Savage lever action (from my grandfather) and a Win model 12, 16 gauge,( traded a 12 gauge "Damascus twist" barrel and cash for) and the old Crescent Arms SS 12. Those were pretty much all he thought he needed.
Any thoughts or stories?

DM
09-07-2007, 07:29 PM
My first gun was a pellet rifle my dad gave me when i was 9.... i still have it.

It wasn't long after that, that my brother gave me a single bbl Savage 20 ga... I still have that one too...

Even though when i was young, my dad always let me use his many different guns, i bought myself my first deer rifle about 1970. It was a 700 Rem. BDL chambered in .243 Win., that i also still own... I harvested a LOT of deer with that rifle, and one huge blk. bear...

I've owned lots and lots of guns over the years, but this Krieghoff is my most favorite one, and it's been my "go to" hunting gun for many years now...

http://www.fototime.com/F8BC345CD766244/standard.jpg

I can't even guess how many tons of meat this gun has put in my freezer over the years...

DM

AlchemyAcres
09-07-2007, 09:34 PM
First guns were a .22 and a .410.

The .22 met it's demise one night while I was coon hunting as a very young lad...I dropped the clip shortly before a coon came down outa the tree and attacked the dog.. :o....I ruined the gun trying to beat the coon to death. :'(
That was a VERY bad night!!!

The .410 burned up in a truck fire....LOL

The first gun I bought for myself, when I was 13, was a .22-250 Remington...I still have that!!!!

~Martin ;)

Pitdog
09-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Is that a Drilling DM?
I hear that to get through Austria's premier European Gunsmith school Ferlach, you have to make a gun by hand, using hand tools, and a VERY rough premade barrel. Been thinking of how I am going to go about making a Stalking Rifle just to see if I can do it.

My first gun was a .25 acp home made pistol I made as a YOUNGSTER. I got a beat up old unknown manufacture 12 GA Single shot when I was 11 to kill squirells with. Than I got a Marlin Model 60 .22 at 12 and at 13 I built a .31 cal blackpowder cap and ball revolver from a kit.

DM
09-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Is that a Drilling DM?
Yup,

It was made in October of 1935, and then was brought back to "better than new" in the early 80's when i bought it...

DM

http://www.fototime.com/35A1F5A52508463/standard.jpg

BIGGKIDD
09-25-2007, 02:04 AM
My first was a 20 gage single shot Italian made job. It was real lite and kicked like a mule. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Took it back to the local dealer and found the barrel was bent. It was hitting 3 foot to the left at 25 yards and you couldn't find it at 50.

LARRY

Pitdog
09-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Pretty snazzy old piece there DM. Don't see a whole lot of those kicking around, but they sure are versatile and well made.

tufhelp
09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
J.C. Higgins 22 single shot rifle from Sears & Robuck.

DM
09-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Pretty snazzy old piece there DM. Don't see a whole lot of those kicking around, but they sure are versatile and well made.

It's been an amazing tool for me, i've harvested all kinds of meat with it from big to small!! From moose to turkeys and much more!

DM

http://www.fototime.com/71D5748CCA76B2C/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/29711E271F1326C/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/FCA4029ABA44E24/standard.jpg

Pitdog
10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
What's the rifle caliber?

DM
10-03-2007, 11:15 PM
The rifle bbl. is chambered for 8x57JRS, and if i slide one of the two removable rifle bbls i have for this gun into the right shot bbl., it becomes a 22 Win. mag... OR 22 LR depending on what bbl. i slide in...

I hand load all the of the 8mm ammo with 200 grain Nosler "partition" bullets, to a respectable 2,550 fps, and that's the only bullet/load i use in this gun...

I've taken everything from moose and bear on down to javolina and coyote with this bullet/load. It is a "perfect" one load for everything, in this gun!

DM

22 Win. Mag. bbl. in place,
http://www.fototime.com/3307385D2BCD845/standard.jpg

Mac_Muz
10-06-2007, 06:17 PM
My God! You have liner barrels too! I remember that gun from a ways back. Whats that weigh with liners installed?

You know around here we hate you for havin' that fine gun don't ya? :'(

I can't even stand to look at that pic for long. Currently there is a mess on my keyboard from drool.... You rat! ;D

Mac_Muz
10-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Oh yeah.... My first gun was a .22 single shot bolt, my Dad gave on my 6th birthday. I remember because I went out and shot a chicadee and he made me eat it.

Ever since I make pies from them little birds, but they tend to be crunchy.

I inherited a Win Mod 12 in 12 Ga. and another in 16 Ga. Go figure?

Nickathome
10-08-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm not going to count bb-guns, so my first "gun" was a cheap Brazilian made 20 gauge single shot that I bought at K-mart when I was 16. I paid a whopping $35.00 for it. The gun was pretty poorly constructed and was a real P.O.S. in so many ways but, I was able to hunt with that little gun for several enjoyable years before saving up enough to buy my Mossberg 500 and my Marlin 336. I gave the single shot to my father when I got tired of it, and he still owns it. When he passes I am sure to inherit all his weapons and plan to give the little 20 gauge to one of my boys, hopefully they will still show an interest in hunting at that time.

DM
10-08-2007, 11:27 PM
My God! You have liner barrels too! I remember that gun from a ways back. Whats that weigh with liners installed?

You know around here we hate you for havin' that fine gun don't ya?

ha ha ha.... it weighs just over 7 pounds with the insert in place but without the scope on it... 8)

DM

Mac_Muz
10-10-2007, 06:30 PM
You are really bummin me out. I hope yer havin' a good time doing that! Just 7 pounds!??? Man, if I could get away callin you all sorts of nasty names on here you would learn some new words! ;D

Rancher
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
My first gun was a Stevens, single shot .22 LR. If I remember correctly, it cost all of $8 in 1936. My second gun was a Colt revolver in .44-40 caliber. Believe it or not, it's true that I regularly kept both guns in my locker at school during the day in school years. I and many of my friends kept our guns in school to use after school, hunting and running our trap lines on the way home.

flatwater
10-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Mine was an old 16 ga. western shotgun. It was a single shot break open. I learned a valuable lesson with that gun " hit what you shoot at with the first shot.
Flatwater

Kevin
10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
My first was a Model 37 Ithaca in 12 ga.

DM, very nice, two things come to mind.

Jeff Cooper "Beware the man that has only one gun he probably knows how to use it."

It also seems to be the definitive answer to the question "If you could only have one gun what would it be?"

Now if it only had a folding stock so you could put it in your pocket.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kevin

eshetney
12-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Ruger 10/22, bought by me shortly after my 18th birthday. I had a philosophical difference opinion with my parents regarding the 2nd Amend.

LeatherneckPA
12-22-2007, 06:33 PM
My first rifle was a hand-me-down Mossberg Model 42B that my Dad bought for himself on his 16th birthday (1946). He gave it to me "to use" on my 16th birthday and never asked for it back. Evenhe recognizes it now as mine. I think he's just glad that I value it.

I bought my first gun, a police .38 Special S&W Model 10, when I started in law enforcement back in 1984.

First shot gun was a "factory reconditioned" 12 ga single H&R. I'm STILL searching for one of the .30-06 or 30-30 rifle barrels to go with it.

About eight years ago I bought a Mossberg 500 Realtree camoed 12 ga.

Five years ago a friend got me into BP and I currently have a .50 cal left handed flintlock that is going deer hunting with me the day after Christmas.

Too many others to list.

Would like to get a nice lever action rifle in something like a 45 Long Colt or maybe even .45-70.

swedishfish
12-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Actually I just bought my first gun ever this afternoon. It is a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. You have to start someplace right?

DM
12-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Actually I just bought my first gun ever this afternoon. It is a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. You have to start someplace right?

Mossberg 500 is a decent shotgun... You did just fine!!

DM

WRTN
12-30-2007, 09:30 PM

The Mossberg Model 500 was my very first shotgun my Dad gave me went I was about 12 as I remember and I still have it and used it to this day. An outstanding firearm. Ya done good!

mike82934
12-30-2007, 11:28 PM

I have a 500, too, and it's my favorite shotgun. Second favorite is my H&R/NEF 12 gauge single shot.

Anyway, my first gun was a single-shot .22 (don't even remember the make or model) that my granddad let me start shooting with when I was about six years old. A few years after that, he gave me a bolt-action .22 that was missing the magazine. He meant to find one for it at a gun show, but I don't think he ever got around to it, and I just ended up using it like a single shot. Funny, but I killed a boatload of rabbits with that thing.