PDA

View Full Version : Found an antique

DV8
01-08-2007, 09:47 AM
About 3 months ago while I was in New Orleans as a volunteer, we were removing debris from an old building & I found an antique shotgun. I set it aside, & brought it home with me (which wasn't easy since I flew, I hadda ship it home)

it is in pretty good shape, abliet it has many pits in the steel & some rust which I'm unsure how to remove. Obviously I'm afraid to shoot it !

the bottom is stamped "MANUFACTURED BY THE WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO NEW HAVEN CONN U.S.A PAT. FEB. 16 & JULY 20 1886"

it is a lever action shotgun thats made for black powder.

Any clue what it may be worth, or what I should maybe do to it to restore it or at least preserve it ?

Lemme know
Thanx
~DV8

DM
01-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes it has some value... You have more than enough info to look up it's value on the net, As many collect that model...

Too bad you can't get it back to the owner, as i bet they could use the money about now!

DM

DV8
01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
You're too right. I Don't even know who it belonged to. The area we were working in was like a backwash where massive amounts of debris & mud packed against the outer block wall of a building untill it gave way, then it all washed inside.

at any rate, it was headed to the landfill except for my rescuing it, & well, it was too nice for that.

~DV8

FireMaker
01-10-2007, 11:07 PM
They made them with solid steel barrels as well as twist. We have one with steel barrels. We shoot the light cowboy loads. Tight patterns at 40 yrds. One of the smoothest guns you will shoot. Watch it though when you lower the hammer to half cock. Looong reach. If it slips you will have a sore finger. Prices start about $600 and go up from there.