PDA

View Full Version : Shoot Trap?

JeffColorado
11-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Does anyone here shoot trap? If so, what do you shoot? Does it really matter to have a special trap gun or is it just the person or does the trap gun make the good shooter better? I see a whole lot of people shooting 25's just with their field guns, but then I see the crowd with their $4K+ trap guns shooting the same.

ZOOBEAR
11-20-2006, 09:08 AM
I shoot a little trap. ;)
I think the shooter is the most important part of the set up. That being said the gun will have some effect on your scores. A fitted trap gun will break more birds for you than a stock field gun. Last year I shot in a 500 round shoot (250 16s & 250 27s) and 5 guys shot perfect scores. 1 or 2 birds make a big difference in the long money class. ;D

Win-12
11-20-2006, 12:13 PM
I've shot alot of trap, both with field guns and trap guns. Both will work, but a trap gun that fits you, will allow you to make small mistakes and still break the target. A gun designed exactly for the sport will also seem easier for you to shoot.

blackpowderbill
11-25-2006, 10:58 AM
the higher end firearms are made to fire tens of thousands of rounds and not fall apart.
My Browing has over 100,000 rounds thru her and I have only replaced the firing pins once.

JeffColorado
11-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Good to hear about the Browing - I just bought a XT Trap and love it. Not the $4K+ that many at the range use, but it does shoot better than my Franchi field gun. Just practice, practice and more practice. Couldn't ask for anything more - wife thinks it's a good thing to do on a weekend, and I could not agree more.

Eli80Cal
12-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Why do you shoot trap? If its just to shoot trap (which is fun and a great habit), buy whatever suits your fancy. I shoot trap to brush up before bird season, so Ill shoot whatever i'm going hunting with.

JeffColorado
12-03-2006, 07:36 PM
I shoot it because I like to, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, and there are some good people there. It takes my mind off work and lets me get some stress out, plus it's fun just trying to get good at it.

Shot my first sorting clays meet today, not very good score, but as with the trap, good stress reliever walking through the woods turning some clays into dust. Was a good time.

Eli80Cal
12-13-2006, 10:10 PM
I shoot it because I like to, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, and there are some good people there. It takes my mind off work and lets me get some stress out, plus it's fun just trying to get good at it.

I can think of no better reason. Enjoy!