PDA

View Full Version : I fixed that old .22

Tuckahoe
01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
I have a .22 that my dad bought at an auction way back around 1974 or so. It is a Savage/Springfield 187N it is a semi auto tube feed and shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle. As far as I can remember this old rifle never worked anywhere near reliable. It would always shoot the first couple of rounds before jamming. A few months ago I found it under the seat of one of our farm trucks that had been junked. I pulled it out of the 70's era vinyl case. It was fairly clean dispite all the years of riding around under the seat of a pickup. I took it home and wiped it down with a good coat of oil and loaded 15 rounds of ammo. It did just as I remembered. It started double feeding and jamming.It would double fire from time to time. I figured it was just worn out and put it away. Well today I was thinking about that old rifle and why it didn't work like it should. I took it out of the stock cleaned it good. I cleaned the bore. The insides looked just fine I saw a screw and decided to tighten it up. When I touched it I found that it was about to fall out. I did a good tighten up on all of the screws. Maybe this is why this rifle never shot good. I didn't have anything to loose. I loaded 15 rounds walked outside and it did all 15 without a problem. I went back and grabbed another double hand of ammo and reloaded it again. About 80 round later this rifle has yet to jam or give any trouble.
Was I tickled? you bet. Just to think of all the years we all thought that rifle was a junker and how well it shoots now for just a loose screw.

clawhammerdan
01-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Way to go! 22s are fun and fixing up one so it's good as new with nothing more than a turn of a screw is icing on the cake.

scoutinlife
01-17-2007, 07:42 PM
It's amazing what a little tinkering can do! ;) Happy shooting with your old but fixed plinker Tuckahoe!!! :)