PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Replica as Self-Defense Rifle?

Crash
11-20-2006, 11:04 AM
How about using one of the new Colt Lightning Replicas in .357 Magnum or .45 Long Colt as an intermediate distance (100 yards or so) defense weapon? I'm pretty sure that the pump could be operated a little bit quicker than a lever, especially the ones that don't have a disconnector.

Opinions?

Recommendations?

Crash

gunslinger2006
11-21-2006, 05:35 AM
I think it would work fine as long as its reliable with your chosen ammo. Valid arguments could be made for either caliber. Personally I might go with the .357 as it would have a better selection of self-defense grade ammo. Teamed up with a handgun in the same caliber it would make a pretty slick combo.

Crash
11-21-2006, 08:15 AM
I think it would work fine as long as its reliable with your chosen ammo. Valid arguments could be made for either caliber. Personally I might go with the .357 as it would have a better selection of self-defense grade ammo. Teamed up with a handgun in the same caliber it would make a pretty slick combo.

gunslinger2006,

The only possible problem I could see is that if you were forced to fire it from a prone position with the forearm rested on something you would have to raise it up off the rest to cycle the action. Of course, if you're prone and lying pretty close to the surface you're lying on, the same thing is true of a lever-action. The only repeating rifles that could be operated/could operate in this situation are either bolt-actions or autos/semi-autos.
However, this is probably not something to worry about in a self-defense scenario, unless it's of a really serious SHTF or TEOTWAWKI type....

Crash

gunslinger2006
11-21-2006, 12:36 PM
True, though I think that you could rotate the rifle to one side and cycle the action that way. Also, hopefully, you'd have some cover so you could be out of direct line of sight while you worked the action. I think that if you had to go prone for a defensive reason you'd want to get off a shot or two then move to cover. As you said, that scenario would be uncommon, outside of TEOTWAWKI.

Uncle_Alvah
11-21-2006, 09:40 PM
The original Lightnings were not all that reliable. How the replicas are I don't know, but a pump is a great action. Even if not a first choice, it's still a viable choice.

Kpdpipes
12-08-2006, 10:46 AM
The original Lightnings were not all that reliable. How the replicas are I don't know, but a pump is a great action. Even if not a first choice, it's still a viable choice.

Very true, which is why everyone who rushed out to buy the AWA Lightning copies had lots of problems with reliability. Taurus was Smart however, the Lightning (Thunderbolt) is externally identical to the original, so it will be accepted for use in SASS sanctioned atches, but the INTERNALS are different..so far i havent heard of anyone with problems, with the caveat i haven't handled one myself as of yet.