PDA

View Full Version : Food Plot

danville
07-02-2006, 02:15 AM
I want to make a food plot for deer at my home in SE WV. I have a fella coming to till next week. What can I plant now ( have water on site to get it going) that will attract deer this fall and winter and what else can I plant to keep them coming back, perenials and self seeding annuals? What time of seed do you suggest? Any websites out there to help?

Wyobuckaroo
07-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Howdy

This has been brought up before. Don't remember if it was on animal board or firearms.

Think any of organizations like Wild Turkey Federation, Whitetail, what ever these organizations are. They should have good advice for your area.

Also, your local Game and Fish department should be able to help.

Good luck
Wyo

Txanne
07-03-2006, 03:57 AM
The deer in this part of the country Love rye grass--we just sprinkle the seeds and poof--here come da deer.

also--alpalfa hay---but thats an expensive deer garden.

annie

oldnndway
07-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Winter wheat maybe ?

Don't know much about WV but if you plant peas they WILL come eat them.

Cabellas and Bass Pro have all kinds of deer food plot mixes if you want to spend the money (some are expensive)

I know Pennington Seeds has that kind of stuff.

swampcedars
07-06-2006, 01:54 PM
If you have a Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain near you they sell all sorts of 'game mix seed' by the bag.

I have seen good results with regular alphalfa/clover mix.

Good ideas to put out a salt lick (check your game laws on this), deer suckers, and Stump Syrup...my favorite though is a few wild apple trees that are transplanted to the side/corner of the food plot...provided your climate can support fruit trees without needing weekly watering.

...and remeber no trash, cigarette butts and such in the area...

-Swamp

DM
07-06-2006, 11:46 PM
I also plant rye grass in my animial food plots. Deer, turkeys and other animials really like it, and for those of us that live up north, it's great feed for deer in the winter too. Deer will dig through the snow to get the green rye grass all winter.

The best part is, i can cut it in the late spring and sell it for "horse hay" and also use some of it for mulch in my gardens!!

Here's a buck i harvested last fall that was in one of my food plots.

DM

http://www.fototime.com/{8103543B-7DE5-4DD9-A628-358432CD24B9}/picture.JPG

oldnndway
07-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Pretty place DM ... and a nice buck too.

Penny_Plinker
07-07-2006, 10:04 PM
...and remeber no trash, cigarette butts and such in the area...

-Swamp

Always a good idea not to litter, but, you don't think litter spooks the deer do you? *Because human items left in the fields don't spook the deer in this area. *They'd probably eat cigarette butts, i know horses like them.

Nice deer, DM!

Penny

oldnndway
07-08-2006, 12:04 AM
"They'd probably eat cigarette butts"

Knew a guy that had a deer in a pen.
It would eat all of a cigarette except for the butt.
It was a kind of a treat for her.

ozarksnick
07-08-2006, 12:49 AM
They'd probably eat cigarette butts, i know horses like them.

When I lived in Colorado, a teacher once told us that many deer vs auto accidents occurred because deer were hooked on eating cigarette butts and would get into traffic that way.

Terri
07-08-2006, 12:00 PM
A disabled on-line gent once said that he grew alfalfa to attract deer. He had the patch set up so that he could shoot while sitting in an easy-to-reach spot. He also put out salt.

Plains_Scout
07-10-2006, 03:00 AM
Where you are at this time of year maybe clover.

I would go to the whitetail institute site. They have a lot of good ideas and advice.

Shoot straight.

300shooter
09-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Here is what I have been using for years ,its the one I have come up with for my Ranches that I have managed for W/T Turkey, and Exotics

as I do this for a living and have a Ph.D in Wildlife Biology and I can up with a few foodplots for deer.

Here is mine and its time tested to make deer healthy and big in both Body and Antlers .

Fall Mix

WHEAT 15%
OATS 10%
RYE 8%
BARLEY 7%
ALFALFA 5% if needed
TURNIPS 5%
AUSTRIAN WINTERPEAS 10%
HAIRY VETCH 10%
MADRID CLOVER10%
HUBAM CLOVER 10%
YUCHI ARROWLEAF CLOVER 5 %
RAPE SEED 5%
COST PER ACRE
COST PER LB. $ 1.32
POUNDS PER ACRE 50

Spring mix,

SPRING DEER MIX
CATJANG PEAS 15%
IRON & CLAY COWPEAS 15%
RED RIPPER COWPEAS 15%
SOYBEANS (FORAGE) 15%
BUCKWHEAT 10%
BLACK-EYED PEAS 10%
OKRA(SPINELESS) 10%
PIGWEED 5%
MUNGBEANS 5%
COST PER ACRE 100%
COST PER LB. $ 1.25
POUNDS PER ACRE 20

Dr. Paul N. Nees

jim
09-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Hey Doc

You stopped using Oreos?

Plains_Scout
10-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Post back and let us know what you planted and how it worked.

I did 8 acres of corn this year. Oats mixed with sunflowers in 5 acres, corn mixed with oats in another 5 and 5 more of just straight barley. This is not all mine, but a combination of mine and a partner and my brother the farmer.

The corn gets nibbled on and some cobs taken after it is ripe, but winter is when it really gets hit.

I am doing some peas and oats next year. We also just took 40 acres and planted to alfalfa with a oats cover crop. The deer are loving the second growth oats as the first growth was harvested as hay.

Rye grass is a good idea. I may have to put some of that in next year.

All of this works great for deer, pheasants and turkeys.