PDA

View Full Version : Rain/Pickle Barrel lids

springbrook
05-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Hello All,
I have found a few of pickle shipping barrels that I want to make rain barrels and storage grain storage out of. I am in need of finding a source of lids for these.
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/33galrainbar.html this is the kind of barresl I am refering to. Can anyone please help out?
Best Regards,
John

MooseToo
05-10-2009, 07:00 PM
sorry - there is no "standard" - i have about 20 of those plastic barrels, all same size and color, and there are five different style lids in the bunch - and none (zip,zero,nada) are interchangeable -
you have just entered into "search" mode -

CarolAnn
05-10-2009, 11:14 PM
John,
If you can't get lids from your barrel supplier, I wonder if you could try making your own? I'd cut a piece of plywood a bit larger than the opening, put several layers of plastic wrap over the barrel lip and then use silicone caulk on the inside and top of the lip. Settle the plywood lid onto the silicone and let it set up for 24 hours. The plastic wrap will make it so you can get the lid off of the barrel and you should be able to carefully peel the plastic wrap off of your lid. I'd then coat the lid with a layer of silicone to seal it and reinforce the ring (inside only, so it'll still fit down into the lip). Let this silicone dry a day before trying to fit it back on the barrel.

I used to build aquariums and have had fun playing with silicone sealer - it's pretty versatile stuff! Of course, you'd have to tinker a bit more to develop a way to lock the lid down, but possible a heavy weight on top would be enough.

springbrook
05-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the help! I have noticed that the lids are very picky to which berrel they are on, even though they all look the same. I will try to make my own. I bought the barrels from a guy who bought them from a local pickle factory...prior to it's closing. I was wanting to use a few for grain / emergency supply storage, and the others to catch water. I think I see if I can piece enough lids together to accomadate my storage and make lids for the rain barrels.
Best Regards,
John