PDA

View Full Version : NASTY WATER. Need Help

Badger55
06-07-2008, 07:00 AM
I live in North Dakota. Our water is nasty, brown, smells bad and has arsenic along with other farm run off poisons. The Pur and other tap water filters do not work to make this drinkable. I have to travel 80 miles to buy six 5 gallon jugs of filtered water each week. I've tried a couple of whole house filters but the filters are overrun in a week. These filters are expensive. I can boil it, add bleach and filter it multiple times and it is still smelly and tastes bad. Maybe I'm a spoiled baby since I grew up in Ohio where the aquafier is sweet and tasty but I need help to figure how to make mud into crystal clear, non-stinky drinking water. My dogs don't even like this water. HELP!

WRTN
06-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Our well started out pretty dirty. So we put a PumpTech on the well pump and I hooked up a garden hose on the hose faucet and set the faucet to run at an amount that would allow the faucet to run 24 hours a day.

If you have a pond, run the hose up to the pond and let it run for several weeks or longer. This process may take longer, even months but eventually you will hopefully run the impurities out of your well to the point that it is drinkable. This will also increase the well production output over time.

http://www.wwpp.us/pumptec/pumptec.shtml

It is not the ideal solution but it worked for us. Sometimes you gotta make the best with what you have.

Shamrock1121
06-07-2008, 10:24 AM
It sounds like you may need to purify, rather than filter your drinking water.

I'd suggest a distiller. We've distilled our drinking water for over 25 years. I think we on our 6th or 7th distiller.

I use an electric distiller - http://www.amazon.com/Water-Distiller-Countertop-White-Enamel/dp/B00026F9F8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212837120&sr=8-1.

I also have a non-electric model - http://www.naturalsolutions1.com/waterwise1.htm.

You could also make a solar water purifier or solar distiller for larger quantities for non-drinking uses. You can find all kinds of do-it-yourself instructions on line. I have a friend who taught at a small college near here who made his out of an old water heater.

-Karen

jott
06-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Another option would be reverse osmoses. With water as bad as you are saying you will probably want several steps. Perhaps a large holding tank to let the mud and other solids settle out, then a filter to get the other stuff, finally the reverse osmoses to get rid of chemicals and arsenic.

Badger55
06-09-2008, 04:04 AM
WOW. Since reading my replys, I noticed that several of the old farmers selling out are auctioning off various water distillers and reverse osmosis kits. Some look beat up and heavily scaled at the weekend auctions I went to, but asking around to get info from the older folks up here has proven to be a good resource for how to make potable water. A distiller and reverse osmosis seems to be my way to go and forget the filtration idea that didn't work. Thanks so very much for improving my knowledge. I raise my glass to y'all.