PDA

View Full Version : Walnut tumbling medium

Rick
06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Sometimes you can find crushed walnut medium and corncob medium at the local pet store.

Here at out local Petsmart, the crushed walnut bird/reptile bedding is $9.50/7 lbs. They also have crushed corncob bedding. I use the walnut and crunch in a little red rouge to make it go faster.

ldsparamedic
07-05-2009, 03:10 AM
What does the red rouge do? I use straight corncob with great results.

cmdan
07-05-2009, 04:28 AM
I just checked at Harbor Freight, yesterday, and they were selling crushed wallnuts for 25.00 for 25 pounds. I was looking at the tumblers they have to clean brass. Not sure if I am going to buy what they have or go with a system on ebay.

Rick
07-05-2009, 09:38 AM
The rouge gives the medium just a bit more abrasive action.

I don't use a whole lot; a piece half the size of a small walnut crumbled up into a powder. It cuts my tumbling time significantly.

NotSoFast
10-22-2009, 02:41 PM
I found 50 pound sacks at the local farm feed and supply for $18 a bag. It is a little coarser than what you get from a gun supplier, but it has worked well for me. I add a capful of NuFinish Car Polish from Walmart with each load. I also run a used dryer sheet in the batch to pick up the dust.

Kilroy
10-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Dryer sheet...learned something new today. I bet that would kill any static that might build in the tumbler, too. Never had a problem with it, but the dust...good idea.

poacher
10-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Never thought about the dryer sheet. The one word of caution I will point out is that sometimes the strangest things happen to ya. I am allergic to walnuts. I can't eat them but I can be around them no problem. I even helped crack em as a kid I had a blast doing that. I bought walnut media without a second thought. used it pulled off the top started working in it and bam! guess who started having some reaction problems. I took a break from it went back and used a mask to finish everything off. I then offloaded my media to a buddy.

So just a word to the wise. It isn't just the loading that can be dangerous at times.

Take care Be safe Poacher

WWW.handloadersbench.com

Kilroy
10-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Poacher, wow, never would have thought about that, thanks.

The dryer sheets will also make our brass smell all 'mountain fresh'...whatever that is. :sarcastic:

poacher
10-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Kilroy,

Yeah I didn't think of that either. At least not till I had to. It all worked out and truth be told I don't use my that much anymore; unless the brass is just really nasty dirty.
I have put some brass in the dishwasher before when it was really bad. That worked pretty good, just remember to unload it before the better half finds it.

Take care Be safe Poacher

www.handloadersbench.com (http://www.handloadersbench.com)