PDA

View Full Version : So, does anyone grease their balls....?

hunter63
09-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Had to check, didn't ya.

Been working with my melt pot, processing wheel weights, and, wow, are there ever a bunch of different kinds.
Need to do the "scratch test" to see how hard they are before melting.

Anyway, I though I would clean out the pot and melt up some pure (or reasonably pure lead) for some .490 round balls/Maxi's etc.

Going thru my muzzle-loader shooting bags/boxes I am finding a bunch of balls/Maxi's that a buddy and I poured back in the '80's....
Some of them were stored in a shooting box with a can of powder and they are oxidized.

A little rubbing w/ wd-40 cleaned them up, should be alright, but there are a bunch of balls, from guns that I had given away/sold, don't own that cal. any more, so I melted them down.

Now the question:
What do y'all coat the balls with, so as to prevent oxidation for long term storage? or just nothing?

gunsmoke
09-08-2009, 05:28 PM
LANOLIN

Makes the very best patch grease as well, does wonders for your ML's bore as well eventually "seasons" the bore just like bacon fat in a cast iron skillet.

Either use pure lanolin or mixed with beeswax.

TC's bore butter is VERY best commercial purpose-designed product.

hunter63
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
It that for storage, shooting, or both?
I heard of T/c Bore butter, haven't used any yet.

madmac
09-09-2009, 02:19 AM
OK. Here is my lifelong secret to ball lube. It's cheap. I use it on the entire rifle after clean up and it will season your bore real nice. I am sure it would do a fine job on stored round balls as well. Take equal parts of crisco and toilet bowl wax rings. I usually buy one wax ring and mix equal parts of crisco. Anymore than that will take you a lifetime to use up. I heat them up in an old coffee can to get everything melted, mix them together and let it cool. Try it. It won't cost much and you will be set for a long time. Makes great patch lube as well as for maxi balls. I use this on my custom built .50 cal and it just keeps getting better shot after shot.

kawalekm
09-09-2009, 04:07 PM
HI MM
What is the composition of the toilet bowl wax? Is it 100% beeswax, or some blend? I was thinking that that might be a good component for making lubesizer lubricant.

gunsmoke
09-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Lanolin can be used in all those ways. I use it for patch lube when shooting round ball and mixed with beeswax 2/3 lanolin 1/3 beeswax BY WEIGHT for minies and for BRCR.

A patch or small coth with lanolin can be used to wipe down a gun just like a silicone cloth.

I only use Lanolin for lubing for black powder, for smokeless I use redrooster. I find the seasoning effect is dramatic after about 80-100 shots crud doesn't seem to want to stick to the bore after that, and cleaning becomes a breeze.

madmac
09-10-2009, 01:36 AM
They use to be beeswax but I am not real sure if they still are. They have a very low melting point. Mixed with crisco you wind up with a very soft almost creamy mix. Perfect of lubing patches, and the grease rings on maxi balls. It is a mountain mans dream come true. Like I say, it even works on rubbing down my rifle when I finish shooting. As for modern arms, I think it's too soft. Alox is the best lube made for sizers. I know some will argue that as many modern lubes have come along but if you read anyone of the NRA bullet casting manuals as well as a few others you will see Alox is the lube of choice. I see were you are coming from asking this question and don't blame you. I think my mixture would contaminate your powder. You would have to load and shoot within a very short period as storing this mix in a cartridge for any length of time would allow the mixture to soak into your powder. haven't tried it but I know how easily the mix melts and how thin it gets when melted. I think Alox is a mixture of beeswax but not sure it is pure beeswax. The toilet rings alone may be worth a try. They cost a few bucks so you still are not out much. Maybe twenty loads, let them set for a week or so and go shoot them. Good luck my brother.

blackpowderbill
09-17-2009, 04:08 AM
Nope nothing, mine don't sit idle for that long. old minnies i either heat up to remove old lube or run through an alox treatment.
if i do pick up some that have turned they get patched and shot like they were new.

hunter63
09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
I sent an E-mail to Lee Precision about the white oxidation on my old balls, and they responded, and assured me that it was only a thousandths thick, just to lube up and shoot.

They sell the Alox, but he , (the Lee guy) didn't think it would matter if I used it or not.