PDA

View Full Version : truck cap coop?

idrathergarden
10-01-2009, 01:03 AM
We picked up a used truck cap for free. In the book "Chicken Coops; 45 Building Plans for Housing Your Flock" by Judy Pangman it shows a truck cap coop. I was wondering if anyone has built a coop or some type of portable coop out of a truck cap? I tried searching online but have not found any other ideas other than the same book I read already. Seeing pictures would be nice if you have built one.

Thanks

cinok
10-01-2009, 09:57 AM
I am not sure if you are looking for plans but I have used capsin the past as a shelter when i put chickens out roam. I just put it on the ground with some shavings in it. I have also used it as a "roof" for a small coop, I built the walls out of some spare lumber i had and just bolted the cap to the top plate.

Mom5farmboys
10-01-2009, 12:54 PM
My friend has a coop made out of a truck cap that she uses in a temporary summer run for her chickens. She just stacked up some cinder blocks 2 or three layers high (I can't remember off the top of my head) and placed the truck cap on those. She disassembles it and stores it behind her barn in the winter.

flatblack
10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I built a goose coop out of an old truck cap. I put it up on a coulple old bales of hay to raise it off the ground some. It's actually pretty nice. Stays warm and dry even when it's nasty out. I actually spent a night underneath it when I first built it, just as a "proof of concept".

Try that...get some hay, or like another poster said, some cinder blocks, and put it on that. Great expedient and semi permanent critter shelter.

Anon001
10-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Since chickens are not "livestock" we're moving to "Other Animal Issues".

flatblack
10-12-2009, 03:02 AM
This is not my thread, but I thought for sure that chickens were a type of livestock. Is that term restricted to cattle and other types of large herbivores exculsively?

Anon001
10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Livestock generally refers to the 4 legged type as a descriptor at the top of the forum.