PDA

View Full Version : Bullet lube question

yardburd
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
I use both conventional lube and the Lee tumble lube systems. My question is: The Lee system is so simple that I ask the question "Why would anyone use the conventional dunk-and-size" method? I don't seem to pick up more than normal lead fouling with the Lee method and frankly, the "ring-lube" system is more time-consuming and messy. Any comments?

kawalekm
11-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi YB
How fast are you pushing your bullets? I think tumble lubing is OK when the bullet is going about 1000fps, but what about much faster? I routinely shoot cast SWC in my .357 and .44 magnum rifles and those bullets are exiting at about 1800fps. I think it is the extra lube in the grease grooves that gets the bullet all the way down longer barrels without leading.

Another bonus of using a lubesizer is that you can make your own custom lubes from household ingredients instead of having to purchase liquid alox from Lee.
Michael

jim
11-12-2009, 03:20 PM
If using a lubrisizer, you can add a gas check when needed. Sometimes this is needed and sometimes not. Paperpatching is easier too.

If what you're doing now works for you then great. Shoot as often as you can! {;^)

jim

blackpowderbill
12-30-2009, 07:11 PM
I sold some 7mm Latchmuler 7mm cast bullets to a guy this past summer. He tumbled them and pressed on gas checks and was shooting 1" at 100 yards. The lee alox does not melt like regular old style bullet lube does.

hunter63
12-30-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't really think that cost is a factor with the Alox, as it's like $5 bucks and if you get the sized die come with another bottle.

I use it, I like it and I don't really see the need to make my own, although it would be good to "know how" if necessary.
My 2 cents

DM
12-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't really think that cost is a factor with the Alox, as it's like $5 bucks and if you get the sized die come with another bottle.

I use it, I like it and I don't really see the need to make my own, although it would be good to "know how" if necessary.
My 2 cents

I agree!

DM

gunsmoke
01-09-2010, 07:39 PM
If using a lubrisizer, you can add a gas check when needed. Sometimes this is needed and sometimes not. Paperpatching is easier too.

If what you're doing now works for you then great. Shoot as often as you can!

jim

+1 on Jim's comment. All the variables and which one is best depends on what you're trying to do with the bullets and guns you have.