PDA

View Full Version : bought a reloader

silvergramma
11-24-2009, 02:23 PM
i saw this in a consignment shop where they sell everything, its a MEC 600 Jr 12 gauge reloader set up with books and instructions and a few accessories that were in a box.. got it yesterday... for 150 bucks.. never reloaded in my life but with the way things are I'm prepping my heart out... did I pay too much....?????

DM
11-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't know if you paid too much for YOUR area or not, but i do know the 600jr is an excellent reloader. I have 5 or 6 of them, and i bought the first one in 1971, it's still going strong.

DM

kawalekm
11-25-2009, 03:14 PM
That should be the new in the box price, at retail, not on sale. I think you were taken advantage of. I bought this Pacific reloader at the flea market for 20$. Third press from the left.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/reloadingstation.jpg

silvergramma
11-25-2009, 04:00 PM
oh well but at least its in my possession.. up here you pay for what you want i guess...

docsoos
12-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about what you paid for the press, silvergramma. If things do go south some day, that press will be worth more than it's weight in gold.

Learn all you can, and get started reloading for some of the homestead guns your family owns. I think you'll find it it's a relaxing hobby, and will save you a boat-load of money in the process. Better to learn now, then when you HAVE to.

Enjoy, and be safe!

DocSoos

hunter63
12-02-2009, 01:16 PM
SG, I agree, don't worry too much about price, although it's good to get a DEAL, it's also good to get the tools.

The more you use it, the more you will come out ahead.
Good source for supplies and info:
http://www.midwayusa.com/reloading

Intrestingly enough, I buy a lot of "Lee" stuff, good product/prices, but the Lee factory pricing is a lot higher than the retailers like Midway, or Mid South.
Have fun.

silvergramma
12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
know of any sites with videos on these things just in case i cant get a buddy to help me learn..?

Teg
12-18-2009, 01:54 AM
You might find some good info at the site below:
http://www.handloadersbench.com/

blackpowderbill
12-20-2009, 07:26 PM
i saw this in a consignment shop where they sell everything, its a MEC 600 Jr 12 gauge reloader set up with books and instructions and a few accessories that were in a box.. got it yesterday... for 150 bucks.. never reloaded in my life but with the way things are I'm prepping my heart out... did I pay too much....?????

Try the MEC web site they use to have videos on how to operate a press.

deeker
12-20-2009, 11:29 PM
That should be the new in the box price, at retail, not on sale. I think you were taken advantage of. I bought this Pacific reloader at the flea market for 20$. Third press from the left.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r55/kawalekm/reloadingstation.jpg

I have one of those Pacific presses, and a hornady and a Herter's, and a lee...and....

NHForester
04-22-2010, 06:52 PM
The price may have been reasonable, depending on how many accessories and such came with it.

I used to have one when I was shooting trap but have since sold it. It was a great machine.

cmdan
05-22-2010, 04:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zljerM8bMv0

cuppajoe
02-10-2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zljerM8bMv0

THANK YOU!!!!!:yes2:

For thI have had a 600 jr for 2 years...someone gave it to me and I just didnt know how to work it....this explains the cycle on the 12 ga. that is what mine is set up for......

Now...just another question...how to do 20 ga. and others like .38 spl .40 s&w... and 7.62x39.....do I need to get more attatchments?

Mike LI
02-11-2011, 04:20 PM
You need a different press for bullets. Shotshells in the mec and bullets in either a single stage press like a rock chucker supreme or a lee press.

I don't reload the bullets you mentioned but I would imagine they all take different dies.I load mostly 223 and 306 as well as 12ga.

Quick brief guide to bullet reloading

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/

I don't reload any 20 gauge but the same rules have to apply different dies etc.

Tooldummy
02-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I just happened to have the new Midway USA catalog on my desk, so I looked up the price of a new MEC600 JR press. The price on a 12 guage model is $155.99 plus freight. I imagine freight would be $12 to $15. If you got a decent manual and if the press is in tip top condition I don't think you got hurt too bad. I have had one for close to 38 years (bought it when I was a freshman in high school and just turned 52 this week so it's been a while!) The MEC600 JR is a great press and I've loaded a lot of shells with mine.

A WORD OF CAUTION: Depending how old it is, your charge bar is either bored for a certain size hole for powder or has changeable bushings. BE CAREFUL selecting the correct combination of bar or bushing and powders. Your press manual should have this information for you though.

As Mike LI said, you will need a different set up to load rifle and pistol ammo (metalic rounds). I prefer RCBS single stage presses and highly recommend them. If you plan on loading a lot of rounds, the Dillon progessive presses are hard to beat.

As far as loading different guage shells, rather than swithing everthing around I would suggest picking up another used press. I bought one that had only loaded about 10 boxes of shells of a guy at work for $40 and sold it for $75 a few weeks later and still gave the guy a good deal. Deals are out there but you may have to look a while. By the way, I've seen them sell on E-bay for more than you paid, plus freight, so I don't think you got hurt.

Mike LI
02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Tooldummy I looked at that Dillon progressive and the price made me cringe. By the time I was done with all the stuff I needed it was in the 1200 to 1600 dollar range. That's when I went for the single stage rock chukker. Takes a bit more time but once you set up your run its fine. I enjoy loading so 2 or 3 hours at the bench clears my mind. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Mike

gunsmoke
02-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Just a note from my personal experience a tip if you will that has worked for me for years.

It seems to me at least the single most time consuming part of loading metallics on a sigle stage press is the priming process. More than 30 years ago I got an idea and bought a LEE priming tool. The only drawback to using it is that it does not us the standard shell holders you have to buy the proprietary ones but they are very inexpensive. I have used nothing but the LEE for priming since. I find using the LEE tool speeds up the process considerably.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/primtool.html

Your mileage may vary, but it has woeked very well for me for years.

Handloading is a rewarding adventure and is fun as well. Good lucck and let us know how things work out for you!

Mike LI
02-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Gunsmoke you may laugh but this is the priming tool I use, and it works great.

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Universal_HandPrimingTool.pdf

It's not as rough on the hands as folks think. You can sit and watch TV and prime up 100 shells without realizing it. It's a little confusing to set up the first time because the directions aren't great. But if you sit and look at it then change out the parts it works fine. You just have to be careful when you take it apart because it's spring loaded and will come apart if you don't use the set screw. Been there done that ;) But it really is a great tool.

Mike

Tooldummy
02-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Mike, did you post a picture you wanted me to look at? I'd enjoy seeing your set up.

I started off with a Rockchucker, then decided I really needed two. I loaded for a good friend, who told his boss about me. He had bought a Thompson replica sub machine gun (in semi-auto form) in .45ACP and he had bought two boxes of ammo from Wal-Mart and was telling my friend about the expense of it. He asked how he could afford to shoot and he told him I reloaded for him. So my friend called and asked if I would for him too. I told him no, that as much as I would like to it was just to time consuming. If I had a Dillon progressive I might, but since I didn't and didn't have the money I couldn't. They call back and ask what one cost and I told them maybe $600, I didn't know for sure. Then they call back again and ask if they bought the press and what I needed would I load for them. And I told them most assuredly! The found a really nice one used on Gunbroker or othewise I'd still be using my Rockchuckers.:D The first time they came down from the city to shoot they paid for 1/2 of their investment. The second time they had re-coupled their investment. From now on it's just inexpensive shooting for them and I get to use their stuff I want. I think it worked out well for everyone. By the way, I knew my friends boss well and considered him a friend before this all happened.

Mike LI
02-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Tooldummy

No I didn't post a pic I was just suggesting you look at a dillon set up and see if I was correct in my price. I did quote for a new set up. A buddy of mine suggested it to me and when I looked it up I almost fell over, that's when I went for the RCBS single stage.

I have a fairly large bench, one for the mec 8567n which I have set up for 12ga. I do allot of bird hunting and that's the shotgun I have. I have another bench for the rcbs which I load my 223 and 306. I'm looking to pick up another gun, maybe an A10 in 762. I want a large magazine and a bigger round. The deer rifle wont cut it. When that happens I'll go for new dies :) Its a nice comfortable set up. I link some pics. Trying to post here with the size restrictions wouldn't do it justice :)

It's nice that ya got a deal to work a progressive bullet press, everyone wins in a set up like that.