PDA

View Full Version : 10/22's

traper
12-07-2009, 10:57 PM
i have a 10/22 made by ruger its a semi auto an latly i have bin haveing trouble with it not fireing right almost all the time i would load it with several rounds in the clip an one in the chamber an when i pull the trigger it will fire an load another in the chamber but when i pull the trigger for the seconde time it wont go off untill i pull the action all the way back untill it clicks like its a singal shot or somethin i tried switchin ammo an that dont make a difference so i was wounderin if any one had any suggetions of what it could be an how to fix it

velojym
12-07-2009, 11:28 PM
i have a 10/22 made by ruger its a semi auto an latly i have bin haveing trouble with it not fireing right almost all the time i would load it with several rounds in the clip an one in the chamber an when i pull the trigger it will fire an load another in the chamber but when i pull the trigger for the seconde time it wont go off untill i pull the action all the way back untill it clicks like its a singal shot or somethin i tried switchin ammo an that dont make a difference so i was wounderin if any one had any suggetions of what it could be an how to fix it

Well, for one thing, I'd get rid of those clips and buy some magazines for that gun.
Have you had it cleaned? .22 ammo ain't the cleanest stuff out there, so it'll gunk up the
works after a while if you aren't on top of it.

backlash
12-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Ask these folks.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

docsoos
12-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Have you had it cleaned? .22 ammo ain't the cleanest stuff out there, so it'll gunk up the works after a while if you aren't on top of it.

What he said. :)

If the bolt does not go full-forward, the weapon will fail to fire. A lot of unburnt powder and residue collects around the chamber face, and possibly some of that is in the extractor cut-out in the barrel, and that is keeping the bolt from closing fully after recoil. I've seen some particularly dirty .22 ammo even jam the firing pin up a bit on well-worn 10/22's (like mine!), and it will make a 'light strike" on the rim of the ammo, preventing ignition.

Every 1000 rounds or so, I completely disassemble my 10/22's, as far as removing the bolt and charging handle assembly, the firing pin, the extractor, plunger and spring, and the barrel from the receiver, and scrubbing it out really well. It's amazing how much residue and junk gets in those tight spots. If you don't feel comfortable with a complete disassembly, ask a friend that is knowledgable, look it up in the owner's manual, or take it to a qualified gunsmith, and he can check it out/clean it, and re-assemble it correctly.

DocSoos

traper
12-08-2009, 10:12 PM
one of the things i am sure to do is clean it after i am done shooting an i do disasemble it compleatly every once in a while an the gun aint to old or well worn i got it brand new 2 years ago an hardly ever used it until this year

Pitdog
12-08-2009, 11:54 PM
It's short stroking is what it sounds like. You are not generating enough pressure to reset the hammer. Shoot it. Cycle it manually. Shoot it. Cycle it.
Sound familiar?

Scrub the chamber specifically. Take the barrel off- if you are completely disassembling it to 'clean' it anyway- then using a hex wrench to pull barrel off is not much more labor intensive.
It sounds as though it may be having trouble extracting the fired case out of the chamber and the excessive drag may be causing it to no have the zeal needed to fully cycle. If it has been dry fired more than a few times a burr could be aiding in keeping your brass trapped in the chamber and thus making it sluggish.

docsoos
12-09-2009, 10:00 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is: what brand of ammo are you using? Some lower-velocity rounds might not have enough "oomph" to cycle the action properly. You might want to try some high-velocity stuff (CCI Stingers or Velocitors come to mind), and see if the problem goes away with the hot stuff. Like pitdog said, could just be a burr or a rough chamber causing a drag in extraction.

Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.

DocSoos

traper
12-09-2009, 10:02 AM
that sounds exacly like what is going on how would you fix a burr if the rifle was dry fired to many times

TackKS
12-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I had a similar problem with my 10-22, and the problem was simple to fix (if it is the same problem).

On mine, the forward screw for the scope mount went too far into the receiver draging on the internal components. When I turned them out a bit, the problem stopped.

NHForester
04-20-2010, 12:25 AM
I had a similar problem with my 10-22, and the problem was simple to fix (if it is the same problem).

On mine, the forward screw for the scope mount went too far into the receiver draging on the internal components. When I turned them out a bit, the problem stopped.
Something is making the bolt drag. This could be one reason. Check your magazine also. Make sure the lips are clean and not too worn. Make sure you are loading LR and not longs or shorts. Hey, it could happen. Make sure the chamber is clean. Make sure the bolt spring is not damaged or kinked.

CountryGuy
06-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Don't want to hijack this thread but since it just says 10/22 I'll ask here...

I'm wondering if any of you have or have tried the ProMag 50 round drum mag for the 10/22?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=797630

I've been thinking about getting one but last time I got some plastic lipped cheapy mags I regretted it. I see this has metal lips and I saw one at a show once and they looked well built.

Just wanted to see if they are all show and no go...

NHForester
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
that sounds exacly like what is going on how would you fix a burr if the rifle was dry fired to many times

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=777754