PDA

View Full Version : How can you use Canned potatoes?

Pokeberry Mary
01-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Other than soup... Are there many ways to use canned potatoes?

Can you use them to make 'good tasting' mashed potatoes or fried potatoes?

Thanks!

Mom5farmboys
01-01-2010, 06:22 PM
If you like chunky mashed potatoes try making them with half instant mashed potato flakes reconstituted and 1/2 canned, drained potatoes, mashed but not completely smooth. Throw some cheese in too thats good.

I have browned canned potatoes in a frypan with some butter, oil, or lard. Bur rinse them really well first, and pat them dry a little. Also some onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder helps the flavor too. I think they are ok, but I really prefer to fry up cold baked potatoes better.

Mostly I use canned potatoes to add to a quick homemade soup, or stew. I have also added them to chowders too when I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait for raw potatoes to cook.

My mom even used them once to make potato salad. I never personally tasted it but she said it was good. :)

Pokeberry Mary
01-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I guess I was thinking they might not taste the best for mashed tates or fry well.

Its pretty hard to keep them fresh here in our climate--the root cellar is warm most of the year. So-- I'm not sure its worth it to plant more than we can eat when they are fresh. That is twice a year harvests probably so that's something.

But-- well--yesterday at Aldi I bought 10 pounds for 2.49, I may not grow potatoes at all this year. Thinking about it all--what do I do with it when I do grow it--is it worth the garden space--I'm limited in that too.

We shall see. Thank you for the info!:)

nhlivefreeordie
01-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I have quarts of sliced potatoes that I use for either, soups, chowders or mashed potatoes. And I have pints of diced potatoes that I use for homefries, they work very well for me, I think they taste fine.

Pokeberry Mary
01-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Maybe I should try some store canned and see what I think of those-- should give me some idea. If they can work well for mashed potatoes especially its worth canning. I do make potato soup--but not as much as I used to.

AlchemyAcres
01-01-2010, 11:34 PM
While I preserve most of my taters in the 'root cellar'.
I do can a few quarts for home fries during hunting season just to save time!
They're pretty good!

~Martin

nhlivefreeordie
01-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I use the sliced potatoes in chowders too, the best thing about using them for mashed potatoes is that they are mostly cooked, you can have a batch of whipped potatoes in 15 minutes or less.

sissy
01-02-2010, 02:16 AM
I'm in the process of canning 50 lb now. Will get 50 lb tomorrow to can. We love them. Store bought canned do not taste the same. I like to use the red ones the best. They taste better to us. I use them a lot of different ways, & much quicker. I also dehydrate them. I would can a few to see if you like them. I think it is well worth it.
Sissy

nhlivefreeordie
01-02-2010, 02:36 AM
I like the red ones for canning too, the Yukons get stored in the cellar.

iowasue
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I canned plain old russets that I got from my sister-in-law this fall - they canned very well in 1 1/2" chunks - and stayed firm and good. I heat, drain and mash them just like any cooked potatoes, also slice the chunks and fry them - and of course use them in soups, chowders, etc. I use the drained liquid for making bread, substituting it for the liquid in the recipe or adding dry milk to it to make milk for the bread recipe - makes moister bread that lasts longer.

My only regret - they won't last till garden potatoes are ready again. I will can more next year as we didn't know we would like them so much.

My sister-in-law canned sliced potatoes too and says she'll stick with larger chunks next time and slice them if she needs slices.

momma_to_seven_chi
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I canned dozens of quarts of potatoes this year. They work well for everything. I just opened two quarts to make into au gratin potatoes for a family meal yesterday. I have also used them in veg soup, potato soup, fried potatoes, and even mashed them. I really like the convenience of having canned meats and potatoes available for quick uses.

CanNerd
01-02-2010, 01:17 PM
I use lots of canned potatoes, diced, for making breakfast hash browns and also mixed in with refried beans for burritos.

krash
01-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Mary-trying store canned potatoes for frying is a good idea. They work well. A caution on using them for mashed. Remember that the texture of store canned stuff is often not the same as home canned (example: calcium in store tomatoes keeps them much "firmer" than good ole home canned ones). I believe the home canned pototoes will mash much better for you than your "trial" of store ones. Home canned potatoes are wonderful for frying, stews, soups, scalloped, etc but i personally think you might be happier with dehydrating them for mashed. I am going to certainly try the suggestion of mixing canned with dehydrated ones though.

Just my 2 cents worth. Off soapbox now!--Lois

SPIKE
01-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Yes.

I do the canning here, but my lady does the cooking. She has requested that I can more potatoes next year. It is a big time saver for the cook. Storing in the root cellar is still more frugal. IMO

SPIKE

NCLee
01-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Mary, you may also want to consider these if you use a lot of mashed potatoes. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=193850 If memory serves Cooks Illustrated or Cooks Country gave them top honors in one of their product reviews.

Servings: 65 per box = .08 cents per serving, so they are economical. Plus you can use them to thicken soups and such.

When I make them, I use water for both the water and milk ingredients. Then, I add 1/3 c of instant non-fat milk powder to make 6 servings. (Adjust the amount of powder for the number of servings you're making.) Thus, I don't need to have fresh milk on hand, either.

That said, this would allow you to concentrate on canning potatoes for purposes other than for mashed potatoes. This may be overall a more economical approach in terms of time and dollars involved in growing or purchasing potatoes for canning.

BTW, I used to strongly dislike "instant" potatoes. Evidently they have improved over the years. Taste better today. (Maybe it's me that changed. LOL)

Just a thought that may be helpful.
Lee

nhlivefreeordie
01-03-2010, 11:47 AM
BTW, I used to strongly dislike "instant" potatoes. Evidently they have improved over the years. Taste better today. (Maybe it's me that changed. LOL)

Lee

I have always liked instant mashed potatoes, a lot depends on which brand you use, I haven't found one I don't like, but some are better than others.
Don't get me wrong, I like real potatoes much better, but have no problem mixing up instant if in a hurry.

AlchemyAcres
01-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Storing in the root cellar is still more frugal. IMO

Definitely!!!!

~Martin

bjacobson
01-05-2010, 12:30 AM
One thing that I do to use up some small potatoes that don't seem to store as long as the larger ones is I make big batches of mashed potatoes and freeze them flat in seal-a-meal vacuum pack bags. Freeze them flat and stack them up in the freezer, no wasted space. 5 minutes in the microwave and they are ready to eat and taste like you just spent an hour pealing and boiling and mashing. They are great for a quick meal with some canned beef or pork poured over them.

I also can some but I do notice a stightly different taste to them, maybe our water. I store the majority in the cellar where they last almost till next years harvest time for early potatoes.

cartershan
01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I like to can small red potatoes with the skin on. We love them just heated with butter, or in soups and stew. We like them mashed also.

Pokeberry Mary
01-16-2010, 09:04 AM
I just came back to this old post to see what more was added to it since I last saw it. Lots of great info!

As for root cellaring -- in the south it is not as good an option. I literally keep a little 2ND fridge right now for potatoes, apples, oranges and onions--even in winter this stuff doesn't keep well for me unrefrigerated and my root cellar--which would be darn cool up north is only cool a short time here.

Drying--I was happy to get that link for the Sam's club potatoes. I'll try them. I actually like the Aldi store brand--but its a small box. I'd like something I can store. There are only 2 folks in my home that really enjoy mashed potatoes. Yesterday I made rice pilaf and mashed tates. Hubby abhors mashed potatoes for some reason--I think he must have been severely frightened by meatloaf as a child too. ;-) Anyhow, I'm half Irish and I just get to craving them myself. Instant dry might be good.

I could see the idea of canning some for home fries or au gratin and using dehydrated for mashed--that makes good sense. I think I'll go with that! Thanks all!:)

NCLee
01-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Mary, I suspect that the combo of things you have in your second refrigerator are causing some of your storage problems. Some things can't be stored together. The "fumes" from one can cause another one to spoil faster.

Potatoes and onions are one of those combos. I had to stop storing mine together in a combo wooden potato/onion bin.

Apples are another "troublemaker" when stored with other foods. One way to speed up the ripening of some items is to store them in a plastic bag with an apple.

I don't have the info handy on what can be stored with what, so you may want to spend some time with google, to see what will work in your refrigerator with your potatoes.

Couple of other things that go hand in hand. Those are the temperature requirements for best storage and the humidity needed for best storage. For example, some of the things you have in the refrigerator may actually store longer outside it it. Slighly warmer and dryer than the conditions in your refrigerator.

Just some thoughts that may be helpful.

Lee

Pokeberry Mary
01-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I knew about that--I meant I can't keep those things very long unless I refrigerate them. When we moved here that was one of the first things I noticed is things would go bad much faster. In the north I never refrigerated any of those things, now I have to. (but I don't usually store them together in the fridge)

firegirl969
01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
We can potatoes and use them in stews, cooked with roasts, make homemade mashed potatoes, make casseroles, and boil them with a little butter. I probably do more things with them, but I can't think of them right now.

cwatson
01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
I love the canned potatoes with a beef recipe we call million meal meat sauce. I can the meat sauce when I get a super deal on ground beef and it is great over the canned potatoes and in a soup.

Mom5farmboys
01-17-2010, 06:04 PM
You could mash the canned potatoes and make this recipe with them. Its my husbands favorite homemade candy. It taste like the filling in a Mounds bar.

Mashed Potato Candy

3/4 cup mashed potato
4 cup powdered sugar
14 oz coconut-shredded
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix well form candy into balls and let set to dry then dip in melted chocolate.

I have also used this filling in candy molds. Simply coat the mold with melted chocolate and pop into the freezer for about 5 min, then pack the candy directly into the mold. Cover the bottom with melted choc and freeze about 5 min more until set, remove from molds.

sissy
01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Mom5farmboys,
That sounds soooo good! I will have to try that.:yes2: Who would have thought of potatoes as candy.:D
Last night I used a jar of potatoes for mashed, added sour cream & chives. Hubby loved them. Wants me to use the leftovers for potato cakes. The other night I took some & drained, put in dehydrator for a few min. Then deep fried. Very good. So many ways to use them.
sissy

nhlivefreeordie
01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
I used two pints of cubed in a chicken pot pie I made this week, it came out awesome, lower and upper crust made with lard, lots of mixed veggies and thick white sauce.

cartershan
01-18-2010, 12:52 AM
This sounds great! I have heard of it before and always wondered what tater candy would be like. I'm going to try it tomorrow. Thanks! Shannon You could mash the canned potatoes and make this recipe with them. Its my husbands favorite homemade candy. It taste like the filling in a Mounds bar.

Mashed Potato Candy

3/4 cup mashed potato
4 cup powdered sugar
14 oz coconut-shredded
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix well form candy into balls and let set to dry then dip in melted chocolate.

I have also used this filling in candy molds. Simply coat the mold with melted chocolate and pop into the freezer for about 5 min, then pack the candy directly into the mold. Cover the bottom with melted choc and freeze about 5 min more until set, remove from molds.

pcrowder
01-18-2010, 01:01 AM
I love the canned potatoes with a beef recipe we call million meal meat sauce. I can the meat sauce when I get a super deal on ground beef and it is great over the canned potatoes and in a soup.

Sounds yummy! Can we get the recipe please?

debbie-bountiful
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM
One thing that I do to use up some small potatoes that don't seem to store as long as the larger ones is I make big batches of mashed potatoes and freeze them flat in seal-a-meal vacuum pack bags. Freeze them flat and stack them up in the freezer, no wasted space. 5 minutes in the microwave and they are ready to eat and taste like you just spent an hour pealing and boiling and mashing. They are great for a quick meal with some canned beef or pork poured over them.

I also can some but I do notice a stightly different taste to them, maybe our water. I store the majority in the cellar where they last almost till next years harvest time for early potatoes.

Been following some of your canning suggestions and this one I'll definitely be doing. Husband has probably way too many red potatoes planted this year though. What would you do with a couple hundred pounds of red potatoes?

I have a large storage area but unfortunately no basement so storing root crops is out of the picture. Thanks, Debbie at Bountiful Ranch in Eastern OK

pcrowder
04-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Can them whole when they're still on the "small side", or cut in half or quarters if they're on the bigger side. For a quick dinner, I mix them with canned green beans, bits of ham, and some powdered ham soup base, and, then serve with cornbread. Yummy! I've also canned them WITH the green beans in the jars and served them that way too. I've sliced them and canned them with plain salt water and then drained and used them in "camp potatoes". Fry some bacon, leaving the grease in the pan. Remove the hot bacon, crumble, and set aside. Put the drained potatoes in the grease and cook till hot with some finely diced onions or onion powder. Put the bacon back in, drizzle with BBQ sauce, mix till well coated, top with shredded cheese. Turn burner off and cover with lid till cheese melts. YUMMY! I've even used the canned potatoes in mashed potato rolls and bread and homemade mashed potato donuts. There are tons of way to use canned potatoes.

DM
04-28-2010, 07:11 PM
I use them anyway i use boiled potatoes.

DM

bjacobson
04-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Been following some of your canning suggestions and this one I'll definitely be doing. Husband has probably way too many red potatoes planted this year though. What would you do with a couple hundred pounds of red potatoes?

I have a large storage area but unfortunately no basement so storing root crops is out of the picture. Thanks, Debbie at Bountiful Ranch in Eastern OK

You can still store potatoes for a couple months without a cellar if you can keep them in the coolest part of the house and keep them in the dark. Make sure to select a variety that is known for good storage qualities and harvest them after the plants have completely died and dried up, then dig the potatoes and let them dry comletely out in the sun and brush off any dirt. Then select the nicest potatoes for storage. Small potatoes and damaged potatoes do not store well. Generally red potatoes are not good storage potatoes, of the reds, Red LaSoda is probably the best. Russet Burbank and Russet Norkotah are good storage and I have had good luck with Yukon Golds also. One other thing you could try is an old refrigerator in the garage to keep the potatoes in, set it at its warmest setting because if potatoes get too cold they convert their starch to sugar and won't taste good.

Well I hope that helps you, good luck. Don't forget about dehydrating also.

debbie-bountiful
04-29-2010, 11:23 AM
My luck with dehyrdation is bad. I have an excaluber but I really do not have a sence on dehydrating. Maybe I'll go ahead and try some for the heck of it. Mostly it is storage, I dehydrated some of my blueberries and stored them in canning jars and put them in my canning room shelve. They didn't look right and I got scared so I dumped them. They seems to have moisture still when I put them in the jars they were perfectly dry.

bjacobson
04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
My luck with dehyrdation is bad. I have an excaluber but I really do not have a sence on dehydrating. Maybe I'll go ahead and try some for the heck of it. Mostly it is storage, I dehydrated some of my blueberries and stored them in canning jars and put them in my canning room shelve. They didn't look right and I got scared so I dumped them. They seems to have moisture still when I put them in the jars they were perfectly dry.

Check this site out http://www.dehydrate2store.com/videos/ it will answer a lot of your questions about dehydrating.