PDA

View Full Version : I have a spring on my property

LyndonStation
01-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a spring on my property and would like to inquire what others have done with their springs?

Native87
01-09-2010, 09:07 PM
First off that is a wonderful thing. Did you just find it or aready know it was there? The one here is a simple system. A concrete dam was built to hold the level at about two feet. There is a 12" spillway that was made into it for the overflow. The water goes no farther than 4' from the bottom of the mountain and then gravity feeds into a septic tank baox where it is a good 3-3.5' of water at all times. A pump is mounted to the inside of the box under the water (no freeze) and is then pushed on to the house. Besides the water it provides it is also used at times to keep or get things cold. Milk, watermelons for picnics, and yes, I have to admit beer back when I used to drink.

It has been harnessed that I know of for 100+ years and thank goodness has never run dry. We had a horrible drought here a while back and it slowed only a little but no disturbance at all. That spring supplies my moms place plus my house. I had a cousin that usd to live here and his place was also provided for with this spring. They are a blessing indeed!! :)

SPIKE
01-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I can not help you, but I wish I had one on my property!!

SPIKE

LyndonStation
01-10-2010, 12:55 PM
We've had this property for 12 years. That spring has always watered the livestock Summer & Winter. It is approximately 30 feet below house and 150 feet away. Our current water to house is supplied by a well and in my humble opinion is the best water I've ever tasted. I'm looking to take advantage and secure this most valuable of free resources we have. Can you point me in a direction to research (web site or books) what to do from scratch? Thank you for all your input it is very much appreciated.

kawalekm
01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Can you give us more details about your property, the terrain, and how much water you need. Are you thinking of some kind of hydro power generator, or just using the water for irrigation, ect? Unless you have a steep dropoff, or an unusually large water volume spring, I doubt you could use it for power. Could you plant an orchard or garden patch below the spring and use the water for irrigation? Dig a pond? At what rate is water being produced? What is the overall climate in your area? These questions should be answered for people to give realistic ideas as to what you can do with your spring.

CastIronCook2
01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
LyndonStation, the first thing to do in the development of a spring is to gently dig it out (with a backhoe, if possible). Don't be too aggressive or you may find your spring has sprung a leak.

When you've cleared all the debris, you need a spring box designed to keep out all surface water. Hubbest has used 3- or 4-foot diameter steel or concrete culvert set on end with holes punched into the metal culvert below the water line. An easy and fun way to punch the holes is to set it up as a target and have some fun shooting holes into it.

Once the culvert has been set in place, surround it with gravel to the depth of three to four feet. On top of the gravel, place a few layers of roofing paper, then surround the spring with concrete, sloping it away from the culvert. Cover the concrete with earth, make a wooden box to cover the top of the culvert, and you can place your pump in an insulated box on top of this or mounted underneath, to protect from freezing.

(Instead of a culvert you could use cement blocks or redwood to make the spring box. Of course, redwood won't last as long as the concrete blocks or the metal culvert, but it will still outlast you.)

Hubbest pumps water from our spring, which is just ten feet above house level, to a 300-gallon tank well above house level. This gives us 47 pounds of water pressure at the house.

Those truly blessed in springdom have a spring at a high elevation whereby gravity provides water pressure to the house. Hubbest had such a spring at a former location.

MelleeRN
01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
We found a spring on our property. It runs right under our driveway.... How it runs is parallel with the main road, which means that no matter where we place a driveway, the spring will be right under it. It had sprung a leak:) caused a giant sink hole where are driveway is. We are also debating what to do with it. Good luck with your spring.

CastIronCook2
01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Are you on city water? If so, it could be a leak in a pipe, not a spring.

LyndonStation
01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Hello all, 1st thank you for all the valuable input. We live in Wisconsin on 30 acres, house is in a valley. We are surrounded by mostly hilly and wooded land with little pockets of farm land. No city water and very few people within 5 miles thank goodness. Volume and distance from the spring is not enough to justify power but flows contantly through out the year. CastIronCook2's comment is pretty much what I was thinking about when I posted comment. Idea is to have emergency water supply and irrigation. Many thanks for your helpful comments.

Pokeberry Mary
01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
We camped out at a place called Lyndon station in Wisconsin once when our kids were young. Just wondered if that's where you're at.

Anyhow--we used to have a spring it was great when our wellpump died we used it for a while.

Hubby just used a pool pump I think and a jacuzzi filter--but it was a temporary thing.

I believe one of the Firefox books has an article featuring old spring houses which were used to keep food cold among other things in the area we live in now-- carolinas.

Good luck--springs sometimes can also be made to feed a nice pond. My neighbor did that- it was wonderful.:)

LyndonStation
01-13-2010, 06:55 PM
We are 10 miles from Lyndon Station Wisconsin which is another 12 miles from Wisconsin Dells site of the largest concentration of T-shirt shops. Nice aspect of the area we live in is it only has 4.5 people for every square mile so even thou we are close to a tourist area we are still lightyears away. Just the way we like it. You might very well have camped in the area. I will look for the firefox box that has the article on old spring houses. Would be a nice read while we prepare to develop the spring.....this spring. Thank you for the suggestion.

DM
01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
I have numerous springs here on my place. Before we dug this one out this big, it supplied all the water to our old house, barn and milk house,

http://www.fototime.com/32D16C002EB265B/orig.jpg

We had a big half bbl. over the spring with a big rock on it to hold it down, and a pipe to all the buildings. Even though it didn't have a lot of pressure, it did do the job. These days it's just a nice pond...

Here's another one we dug out,

http://www.fototime.com/01D6AB39638896C/orig.jpg

but these days we have a artison well, and it has a big cement box we cast over the pipe. The water shoots out of the ground, filling the box, with the excess going out to a stream. You can see the "extra" coming out here, and the frog that guards it... lol

http://www.fototime.com/4FCA3884FBE3E36/orig.jpg

I have a pump in the basement that pumps what water i need out of the box to supply the house. It's GREAT water, and works out very well.

DM