PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene heater questions


SamS
01-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Hi I'm a noob here and to kerosene heat. We got one last year when western KY got hit with a hell of an ice storm. We got it after 2 weeks of looking and I followed the instructions to fill it and let it set for an hour before lighting it up which I then did to burn off any coatings from manufacturing and storage. I brought it inside and went to work. Our power came on that day so I drained it and put it into the shed. This year the gas co. unintentionally cut our gas line and killed the service to our home so I got it out, filled it and lit it up. I used K1 clear. Shortly after lighting it we began to smell kero fumes and since it really wasn't that cold, about 25, I turned it off.

My questions are,

1. I let it set about 30 mins the second time prior to lighting it up. Should I have let it set longer?

2. How much should I crack a window open to vent out CO and fumes?

3. I'm a So. Fla boy that ended up in KY so I'm new to kerosene heaters. Is there something I should have or should not have done?


Thanks


SamS

cubcadet
01-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey Sam, I nearly always check the wick to see if there`s any built up carbon on it when it burns incompletely. It should not take all that much time to prime the wick. If it`s carboned up, try to get ahold of an old toothbrush and carefully heat up the handle up near the head and bend it so the bristles are facing up. This way, you can use it to gently scrub the carbon from the top of the wick. You may also have to trim the wick as well. It always burns better when the wick is trimmed, esp. after the tip gets gunked up. Sometimes better to trim it than to brush off the carbon. I find it will always smell, even when you use 1-K. This time around, I went and bought the stuff with the red dye. It seems to be functioning well. No unusual buildup, like I was told. One trick I used in the past was to let the heater burn dry. It seems to burn all the residue on the wick. Do that outside though, or you`ll be real sorry. Far as venting away fumes, it is dependant on if anyone in your family has emphysema or something and how tight your house is. My brother can`t stand the fumes. It doesn`t bother me too much. Mine is a radiant heater and isn`t used except when it goes down to below 0. The well water pipes are prone to freezeup when it gets that cold and the heater goes in the utility room overnight to prevent that. Good luck.

NCLee
01-24-2010, 09:20 AM
We have one in storage that I used to use in my shop. As far as I know, they all produce fumes, with possibily the expensive no odor kerosene. Haven't tried that because it costs so much per gallon. Have used it in oil lamps and can tell the difference with those.

I have a lot of sinus problems and can't handle fumes very well, so we keep this one soley as a last resort for heat.

Good tips, above about the wick. Additionally, you may want to buy a new wick to have on hand, if the need arises.

Also, the age of your kerosene may be a factor in the odor. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that, as I haven't used kerosene in a number of years.

Lee

LeatherneckPA
01-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I replace our wicks each year. At about $2.50 a wick that's cheap maintenance. After about 5 years our first one wouldn't adjust/work properly so I sprang for a new one.

We must have grown accustomed to the fumes because we have no complaints.

We use two of them. One in the living room (my wife calls it her fireplace) and one in the kitchen, provided it will be occupied. The one in the living room only burns in the evenings, except weekends when Cindy is likely to be in there a lot.

We have tried the expensive fragrance additives. Don't waste your money. Better to buy nice scented candles.

sbemt456
01-25-2010, 12:06 AM
We have one lil kerosene heater we have had for gosh about 25 years or so. It has never had the wick changed in it. And if I needed kero heat I would rely on that little heater. We have used it a lot over the years, from back up heat in the house to heating the shop. We ALWAYS let it burn completely dry ever time before refilling it. Your best bet is to take the heater outdoors to burn out. This will keep the wick clean and you wont have an odor. At least not anything to worry about. Although the fumes are not good for ya, you will know when you have too much CO2, everyone in the house will start getting headaches. I dont think I would burn kerosene heaters in a really small closed off tight room. Common sense tells ya there will be some CO2 build up with that. This is just my experience with kero heaters.

Have a great day!

stella

cubcadet
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Years ago, our family broke down and bought a new Kerosun Omni heater. It was real good, as you could cook on it, and save $ on fuel. Our dad used to but about 2-3 60 gallon drums of 1-K kero every year. I remember it being said that it cut the cost of heating the house almost in half. Right now, I am looking for a type of kero heater that I saw in upper NY state that was built into the wall of the house and was vented outside, and you couldn`t smell anything. I`d love to get one of them for the garage. It was fed by pressure from a large tank, so you didn`t have to worry about filling a small tank every day.

DM
01-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Years ago, our family broke down and bought a new Kerosun Omni heater. It was real good, as you could cook on it, and save $ on fuel. Our dad used to but about 2-3 60 gallon drums of 1-K kero every year. I remember it being said that it cut the cost of heating the house almost in half. Right now, I am looking for a type of kero heater that I saw in upper NY state that was built into the wall of the house and was vented outside, and you couldn`t smell anything. I`d love to get one of them for the garage. It was fed by pressure from a large tank, so you didn`t have to worry about filling a small tank every day.

IMO kerosene heaters are NOT all the same, and the Kerosun brand are the best kero heaters i've ever used. Back in the day, i sold them and they were the BEST kero heaters made, and perhaps still are. They burn cleaner and are the most efficent.

Anyway, i have a Kerosun brand heater too, and it really works good... I leave what ever fuel that's in it, from one time to the next, and the wick is still origional. You won't buy a Kerosun wick for $2.50 either, as they are expensive, but i believe better made.

DM

cubcadet
01-25-2010, 09:49 PM
I agree. We have had Kerosun, Toyo and Corona and the Omni was the best. The little Kerosun Radiant I have is pretty good. I wish I had the omni back.

SamS
01-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info. Just checked the wick and it has black stuff on top of the wick so I guess thats the carbon everyones talking about. We only used it twice for back up so I guess after winter I'll set it outside and let it burn out. Thanks for the fast replies.


SamS

DM
01-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Just checked the wick and it has black stuff on top of the wick so I guess thats the carbon everyones talking about. We only used it twice for back up so I guess after winter I'll set it outside and let it burn out. Thanks for the fast replies.

SamS

Why let it burn out?? Every time you do that, or empty it out, your burning more wick the next time you use it. That's why it stinks so much.

I let mine burn down so it's easy to move, and leave the rest of the fuel in it. The next time i use it, i fill it, and light it.

DM

sbemt456
01-26-2010, 02:02 AM
Kerosun is the brand of one we have that has the original wick in it. Am thinkin maybe these were some of the first ones made back in the day.


Have a great day!

stella

cinok
01-26-2010, 09:00 AM
What are you'll paying for kero and is easy to find? Arounf here there is only 1 place about 25 miles away and it is almost 6 bucks a gallon there are a few TSC and Atwoods that sell it in 5 gallon cans prefilled for almost $40. At that price it is way to expensive. I can use my propane heater and it only costs me 67.00 to fill a 100 pd tank and it lasts me for a month or so.

DM
01-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Around here, kero is sold at many gas stations, just take your can and fill right from the kero pump just like you would gas or diesel. It's priced a little higher than diesel, but i haven't looked at the price in some time, so i can't tell you exactly what it is right now.

DM

kawalekm
01-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Why let it burn out?? Every time you do that, or empty it out, your burning more wick the next time you use it. That's why it stinks so much.


I know the burn area of the wick of my Corona heater is glass, so burning it dry will not damage it. The lower portion is cotton and that's what wicks up the liquid, but the glass filaments are woven in just below where it is exposed at the burner.

Anon001
01-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Around here, kero is sold at many gas stations, just take your can and fill right from the kero pump just like you would gas or diesel. It's priced a little higher than diesel, but i haven't looked at the price in some time, so i can't tell you exactly what it is right now.

DM

Most stations in this part of the country have stopped selling it and so have most co-ops. It is getting hard to find here.

Paul

LeatherneckPA
01-26-2010, 09:16 PM
We have a gas chain here in PA called Sheetz and they carry it all the time from two pumps (out of the 20 in the station). It's about $2.95 a gallon right now.