PDA

View Full Version : Re: What can be done on 35 to 40 acres??

rivahmom
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
If I had 40 AC, I would put in a 1-2 acre pond. Up my number of livestock and include a cow or two. Raise most of my own feed grain and hay. Leave some forest for firewood. Plant an orchard and mini vineyard. Set up a produce stand. By my estimates 20 Acres would leave us fully independent, 40 would give us enough to make money off of as well.

MissouriFree
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
It is not what you can do ,.... it is what you must do!!

Hide from the obamation and become self sufficient.,grow/hunt/fish your own food. Try to live with as little connection as possible with the outside world. Hide your guns as you will need them. *Develop a cirlce of friends that you can really count on- with your life..

austin
03-03-2009, 07:16 PM
It is not what you can do ,.... it is what you must do!!

Hide from the obamation and become self sufficient.,grow/hunt/fish your own food. Try to live with as little connection as possible with the outside world. Hide your guns as you will need them. *Develop a cirlce of friends that you can really count on- with your life..

innnnteresting

ryanmercer
03-04-2009, 09:48 AM
ALL of my dreams!

Anon001
03-08-2009, 04:11 PM
If I had 40 AC, I would put in a 1-2 acre pond. *Up my number of livestock and include a cow or two. *Raise most of my own feed grain and hay. *Leave some forest for firewood. *Plant an orchard and mini vineyard. Set up a produce stand. * By my estimates 20 Acres would leave us fully independent, 40 would give us enough to make money off of as well.

Hi Rivahmom.... hey, by "estimates would leave us fully independent", what exactly does that mean. Do you mean that it would enable you to be self-sufficient without having to have a job in town? or.....? I would be interested in estimates for 20 or 40 acres, as well. I have more ground than that, but I just can't seem to make the homestead support itself without my cattle herd for the majority of income... Just curious what you had in mind....

I do have ponds, a couple fruit trees, but want to add more. I also want to put in grape vines, etc.... near my garden......

rivahmom
03-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi Rivahmom.... hey, by "estimates would leave us fully independent", what exactly does that mean. * Do you mean that it would enable you to be self-sufficient without having to have a job in town? *or.....? *I would be interested in estimates for 20 or 40 acres, as well. *I have more ground than that, but I just can't seem to make the homestead support itself without my cattle herd for the majority of income... *Just curious what you had in mind....

I do have ponds, a couple fruit trees, but want to add more. *I also want to put in grape vines, etc.... *near my garden......

I meant that 20 acres would feed us and provide for all of our needs without needing a grocery store or fuel bill. It may even be enough to cover the land taxes if we are creative enough with extra resources. 40 Acres would provide us with enough livestock and garden space to make an OK living and still provide for us. With 20 Acres we could have 10 in forest land for wood harvest for heat and cooking in winter months ( I want to look into methane generation for summer cooking), Enough space for livestock such as dairy goats, rabbits, poultry and pigs. Enough space for a large veggie garden, bee hives, small orchard and brambles. It still leaves enough land remaining to grow grains for feed. With 40 acres I could increase the amount of animals to include more livestock to include dairy cows to start a small dariy operation and extra space to grow the extra grain. More fruit trees to start a U-pick operation, a pond with a section for crawdad farming, a hydroponic greenhouse for all year round produce for a simple produce stand. I know I will never get rich doing it but it would provide more than enough for my needs and allow me to save for emergencies.

Anon001
03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Sounds like one of the best and most thought out I've read in a long time! LOL.... Bee hives take almost no room whatsoever. I have four of mine here at home in a 16 x16 spot. I have cattle panels up to keep the cows from rubbing on them and knocking them over. It also seems to help keep the skunks away. An acre of vegetable garden would be more than plenty to feed you for a full year.

Something else ...... I have no idea where you are, but check with your local extension office, if you haven't already. They can tell you almost exactly what the ratio of any animal is to the acre for grazing. They can also tell you how much hay and grain you can raise per acre.... for example where I was raised, you need about 10 acres for every cow/calf pair. Where I'm at now, they say 1 1/2 acres per cow/calf pair. We basically know how much hay it takes to feed an animal in the winter and plan for that.

If I was considering a new homestead, and had to limit it to 40 acres, I would probably be tempted to put at least 20 acres into hay. Excess hay can always be sold for taxes or for the grain to feed. Then again so can excess vegetables, excess eggs, butter, milk, etc. Goat milk sells really high here.... about 9.00 a gallon. To me that's high but I know some areas it sell even higher.

Also, depending on where you are, 10 acres may not be enough to heat your house for a full winter season.

I hope you get your 40 soon!
Paul

txplowgirl
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
So say 60 acres if land can support say 2 acres per cow, 20 acres for 10 head, 5 acres for a few head of hogs and goats, 1 acre for garden, 1 acre for house, 20 acres for wood and 13 acres for hay. I know i have to downsize that to get started but that's what I would love to have.

Anon001
03-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Txplowgirl... that sounds good but you wouldn't need 5 acres for hogs. unless you just wanted to give them that much. but otherwise, sounds like you know what you want.

So......you can always start with 1/2, or what you can afford, and get it paid off quickly and move up... or buy a place with an option on the ground next to you (in writing)... However, these days there is really no money in hogs unless you create your own market. But, I would just have a couple butcher hogs, keep one and sell the other to a neighbor at just a hair above the current market rate and it will pay for the costs of your own butcher hog unless you pay someone to butcher yours. That would give you 5 more acres for cattle. And cattle will make a lot more money than hogs and do less damage. Hogs are rough on ground, buildings, etc.

Also, I run my goats with the cattle and horses,.... you don't want goats with hogs. Hogs will eat the kids as small as they are. I've seen it happen with a friend that didn't believe my warnings. lol... he learned. lol If a hog ever gets a taste of blood or meat, you have to basically get rid of it because it is then dangerous. Hogs are supposedly the smartest domesticated animal and can actually reason unlike most animals. Once they know where meat and blood come from they will even kill a child, a dog, or worse.. even an adult. I know of one instance personally where a man at a sale barn was on the railing looking at some hogs to buy in a pen and had a heart attack and fell over in the pen. They had him eaten before anyone could try to get him out. Terrible nightmare.

. So... you don't want your goats in with your hogs. I would keep hogs in their own place. Not only that, goats get along with any animals just about... especially cattle and horses.

MooseToo
03-08-2009, 10:22 PM
interesting to research and find out just how much money can be made from just one acre of blueberries - and how much more can be made from just one acre of ginseng - and, one acre of potted horticultural plants for annual spring sales can astound you -

Anon001
03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
MooseToo, I would love to be able to do those things, but mind just don't think that way... it's stuck in livestock mode! LOL

MooseToo
03-08-2009, 10:35 PM
MooseToo, I would love to be able to do those things, but mind just don't think that way... *it's stuck in livestock mode! LOL
always seemed to me time invested in livestock was a hurry up and wait kind of thing - frantic activity and then coast - blueberries can take advantage of that slack time and pay for a lot of feed when your meat market is in the slumps -

txplowgirl
03-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks Paul,
I grew up with hogs, never had goats before so will be learning something new on that. The hogs didn't really mess with the horses and cattle, but my dad kept them separate. I know that they will eat meat, definetly likes snakes and chickens.
Seen my dad shoot an unwanted jack that somebody gave him to get rid of. Took him in the hog pen and shot him. They had him ate in in 24 hours. That was 35 hogs. I was 8 yrs old at that time and before that happened I could go in with the sows and piglets, help feed, water, dr. etc. anytime. But after that my dad wouldn't let me anymore because he said that they would attack me. He had planned on selling all of them that week anyway. He said that they had been ruined. At the time I just couldn't wrap my little brain around why. :( I was with them almost constantly when I wasn't in school. Could ride them, pet them, They were mainly yorkshires with a few hampshire crosses.
Even after all these years I still miss them. I had one special one all my own. His name was Grunt. He was the runt of a litter and my dad was going to put him down and I talked him into letting me have him to raise all my own. My dad locked him up from eating any of the jack. Anyway, I kept that boy for 5 years, lost him due to a hole in the fence and neighbor accidently ran him over. :( :'(
Whew, talk about bringing back memories. ::)

Anon001
03-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Ok... then you know what I'm talking about with the hogs. I miss keeping them all the time. I only raise butcher hogs now, but sure do miss having them around. Just like kid goats, hogs are fun to watch. They can have such antics at times.

silvergramma
04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
first,, test soil.. find flood records.. have someone walk the land for finding water..check for poisonous plants..
plan or plant for firewood lot
make sure of zonings
check gun and hunting laws
then plan on building human shelter then animal shelter..
get off the grid..
learn to farm with horses...
let the land inspire me.. and pray pray pray