PDA

View Full Version : What type of Tractor do you have on the homestead?

Norcal Steve
04-17-2010, 02:43 AM
I was wondering what others might be using around the Homestead when it comes to the mighty tractor?
We have a 1958 Ford 841 with a front end loader, 6 foot box scrapper, rear blade, Post hole awger with 12 inch bit and a 5' Bush hog.
We use the tractor for mowing/brush clearing, moving logs, fence line building, snow plowing, and grading our long gravel drive up to the house occasionally.

Norcal Steve

patience
04-17-2010, 10:46 AM
When we had a 45 acre homestead, I had a Massey 65 gas tractor with plow, disc, bush hog, blade, boom pole, mounted planter, old 14 ft. wagon, etc..

After we sold that place and moved to our one acre lot (still in farm country), I bought an old 446 Case/Ingersoll garden tractor. For being a tiny thing, it has a useful amount of power (16HP Onan) and the hydraulic drive is about indestructible. NOT a hydrostat. It has a hydraulic pump on the engine that runs a hydraulic motor on a geared rear end through a selector valve. I pulled out some shrub roots with yesterday.

I adapted a shovel plow to it for making potato rows (and digging them), and found a disc hiller attachment to cover and hill potatoes, so that goes FAST now. It has a 42" front blade that will dig a couple inches of packed gravel in the driveway, mounted moldboard plow, a mounted double disc, one row cultivator, small wagon, and a 42" rear mounted tiller, also powered by a hydraulic motor. That keeps me out of trouble in our rocky ground, since the hydraulics will stall (pressure relief valve pops off) if you over load anything. So, no broken tiller tines!

debbie-bountiful
04-17-2010, 10:51 AM
We have a 1980 something John Deere. Hubby only buys John Deere. I think he likes green!

Anon001
04-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I have a straight AC WD and a WD-45. I bought one for $700 and one for $1000. I have a front loader, 3-bottom plow, mower, tandem disk, and a single disk. I can pull my swather, rake, and baler. I had an extra drawbar that a friend helped convert to a bale spear. The maintenance is minor and they always start. They have both been converted to 12v.

Paul

fancifowl
04-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Currently a '58 MF TO35 with a line of equipment. Would really like a Super A with all equipment also. Started out with a WD45, a gutsy old tractor but not too ergonomic & it went to be repklaced by a Oliver Super 66 and a Super 77 which were great, 66 was narrow the 77 was wide had 3ph and rice/cane tires & drank gas by the bucketfull but their hydraulics were very good and loved the pto set ups.
I go to the antique equipment show every year and ogle all the restored old great tractors & equipment and dream.
The new stuff just doesnt trip my trigger, usually.

patience
04-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
"The new stuff just doesnt trip my trigger, usually. "

Same here. I have a machne/welding shop, and get to fix a lot of stuff on modern tractors; things that should not break, IMHO. The newer small ones get a lot out of their size, but just don't have the mass to do heavy work. 4WD helps the traction problem, but costs too much.

When we needed some small trees grubbed out, my neighbor's 4WD Kubota 25 HP was not the answer--we used his Dad's huge old Ford/New Holland. Never got it above an idle, either. ;)

Price is a big consideration, too. I see MF 65 diesels in usable shape at auction here sell for around $3500. The new small ones go for $6000 and up. Each have their place, but for general small farm use, it is really hard to beat the old heavy iron! :D

Mark
04-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Each have their place, but for general small farm use, it is really hard to beat the old heavy iron! :D[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more!

Here's my heavy iron...

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/mdkpac/?action=view&current=April2010047.jpg

ktm rider
04-25-2010, 05:27 AM
Well, I had a little Yanmar 2000BD to mow the fields and plow the road but this winter overwhelmed my little Yannie so I had to bite the bullet and buy a new Kubota MX5100 ( 50HP) It works great and should last me quite a while.

No_Trespassing
04-25-2010, 10:51 AM
The tractor is one item i splurged on. We have a very steep hill and 1/2 mile driveway coming in to our property. After snow plowing with a little '47 Farmall Cub for a couple years and sliding down the hill a few times, I bit the bullet and bought a used 1999 4wd 37hp Kubota. Even with 4wd I have to run rear chains in the winter.

I've slowly but surely been adding attachments and have a pretty good collection now. This year we bought a 6ft. tiller for it. That sure made short work of the garden. I've had the tractor for about 7 years now and have only put on about 250 hours. I think it will last forever at that rate.

duckidaho
04-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Kubota B7510. Sometimes I wish it was heavier and had more power, but we needed something small and maneuverable. Maybe someday we will have a big tractor and a little tractor. We are really pleased with it though.

Loader, tiller, cultivator.

NCLee
04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Here's a link to ours. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/9/292-farmall-super-a.html

Mine doesn't look this nice, BTW. Does need some work on it. I think it's a 1950 model. Need to find the SN and compare to the list to confirm the year.

While looking up this site, ran across an ad for a snow blade. Yikes! $750. We paid $50 for ours.

In addition to the blade, have a set of cultivators, disc row hillers, stalk cutter, and the draw bar. While it's not safe to use (broken teeth) have a belt driven circular saw that mounts on the rear. It probably has a 30" blade.

Have a mule drawn sicle bar mower that was converted to pull behind a tractor. Perhaps one day I can restore that for use. It's probably been 40 years since it was last used.

At one time, we had a single row tobacco planter along with the front mounted water barrel. Sold that to someone who would get a lot more use from it than we would. (Transplanting cabbage plants and such.) Also used to have the fertilizer distributor, but over time the fertilizer residue took its toll.

Found a small disc that could be converted to use the 3 pt hitch. Not very effective, unless the ground has previously been plowed by some other means.

BTW, bought it from my Dad when he stopped farming in 1977. Just realized after seeing the link above that we paid more for it than the original price. And, today, if I HAD to sell it, I'd be asking a heck of a lot more. Periodically, we have people stop by wanting to buy it. NOPE, not for sale.

Lee

Deberosa
04-26-2010, 08:51 PM
I have a Massey Ferguson 1529. Mainly because they had a 6 year no interest deal on them. Just got it last December.

I had a Mahindra hydrostatic transmission in Washington - it did fine for the light work I needed it to do.

I buy new because I am mechanically a novice so not only would it be difficult to determine if a tractor was a good one or not, I need the service support. THat's just the way it is, but it works for me.

Debbie

Eastex
05-02-2010, 09:46 PM
My workhorse tractor is a 46 hp Zetor. I use it to mow, plow and disc. I have a Cub, a Super A and a 140 that I'm learning (very slowly) to build rows and cultivate. My rows look like I was chasing a snake! We plan on working up to 20 acres of crops, the Lord willing.

I bought an International 464 to resell, but if it doesn't sell, I'll put the disc or tiller on it.

Lurch
05-05-2010, 07:56 PM
It's a '77 Thiokol Hydromaster. Has a 200hp Allis Chalmers turbo diesel, hydrostatic drive. Use it mostly for plowing snow, but a little road grading. Oh, yeah, it's a tracked vehicle.

Junie
05-05-2010, 11:42 PM
We've got a John Deere, but that's about all I can tell you about it. I don't deal with the machinery and have no intention of learning. If I did, that would just be one more thing that I'd have to do. I've got hubby convinced that I had no idea my van needed oil or water. I'm not about to mess up a good thing.

firegirl969
05-07-2010, 11:46 PM
We have my dad's fully restored JD 430 with power steering. There were only 200 made with power steering in 1959. We also have a Allis-Chambler D17 with a front bucket. It is also a 1959, well used, but in very good shape for its age.

Boris859
05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
I gotta 1946 Farmall H,it does everything I need it to,I have a John Deere 8 ft disc and an 8 ft drag for it,it needs an overhaul but still gits er done with ease,I am hoping to upgrade by adding a 3 point hitch to it,I need a few other things also,but I am happy for now,I'll post some pics as soon as I resize them

Mad_Professor
05-19-2010, 09:34 PM
9N ford , $1100 initial investment. Came with Dailmer-Benz 2 -bottom plow, tire chains, grader blade, draw bar w/stabilizers and stay chains, and rear scoop/bucket.

That was 20 years ago.

Have added a 5ft brush hog (new 1990 $500) , 6ft disc and spring tooth harrows (used $300).

That was 20 years ago. I put new rear tires/rims on it, replaced the manifold, genny/starter and redid the wiring (about $1000).

So $2900/20 years = $145 per year, that dose not cover gas/oil/tuneups

And it will brush hog all day on a 7 gal tank of fuel, does not use any oil, and I can fix almost anything with a adj. wrench and a screw driver.

Norcal Steve
05-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Gotta love those N's!!! I feel the same way about my 1959 Ford 800 series. Low cost of maintenance, parts a plenty, good on fuel, strong enough for any task, and like you said you can fix most anything with a crescent wrench and a screw driver.

Can't beat SIMPLE!!

Norcal Steve

cinok
05-26-2010, 12:20 AM
I have one of those grey market Mitsibushi picked it up for a good price manuvers great it is not for farming per say buts runs a tiller a plow post hole auger and a box along with a bush hog. It does a freat job on saplings. It paid for it self today they pulled a trailer out from down the street I asked the owner if she wanted to sell a newer 8x12 shed (one of those prbuilt ones that are over priced) she has me if I ha a bush hog I nodded she said I could have anyting off the property I i would hog it an P/u the trash from the trailer removal mosty viynl skirting. There we 2 other sheds small not as nice but they will work for chickens and lawn tools. There was also a 1988 chevy dually that started right up . SO can we say score, Never mind a ton of blocks 125' 200 amp service wire bunch of landscape timbers. We need to get the junk picked up and finish the job in the AM
I also have my JD 450B that is just about put back togheter I am hopping to sell that and pick up an Older TLB

Deberosa
05-26-2010, 08:42 AM
I have one of those grey market Mitsibushi picked it up for a good price manuvers great it is not for farming per say buts runs a tiller a plow post hole auger and a box along with a bush hog. It does a freat job on saplings. It paid for it self today they pulled a trailer out from down the street I asked the owner if she wanted to sell a newer 8x12 shed (one of those prbuilt ones that are over priced) she has me if I ha a bush hog I nodded she said I could have anyting off the property I i would hog it an P/u the trash from the trailer removal mosty viynl skirting. There we 2 other sheds small not as nice but they will work for chickens and lawn tools. There was also a 1988 chevy dually that started right up . SO can we say score, Never mind a ton of blocks 125' 200 amp service wire bunch of landscape timbers. We need to get the junk picked up and finish the job in the AM
I also have my JD 450B that is just about put back togheter I am hopping to sell that and pick up an Older TLB

Wow,that was quite a deal!

NCLee
05-26-2010, 09:44 AM

WOW! Needless to say that I'm absolutely GREEN with envy! :D :D

Congratulations on getting the opportunity to "scrounge" up some really good stuff. Scrounging is one of my favorite pasttimes, but it's rare for it to be more than getting a few free pallets and things along the same line. Sounds like you hit the motherload. I'm happy for you! :yes4: :yes4:

Lee

offgridbob
05-26-2010, 12:08 PM
JD, I love them all though. I didn't know how much life could be so much better untill I got my first tractor. It was an old 9N with a trip bucket. I went through a lot of tractors untill two years ago when I bought my first new one. A JD diesel

KenWood
07-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I have a 4000 Ford (diesel) w/ 5' bushhog, reg. and box scrape blades, tater plow, subsoiler, single and double turning plows, cultivator, lay off plow, boom pole, carry-all, etc...... Still need a few more attachments, ie... disk harrow, auger, etc...... My wife and I have a little farm in the middle of nowhere here in NC. Trying to get all our ducks in a row so we can live off the farm and quit public work pretty much all together. At least cut back to a part time job at the most. The old 4000 Ford is a vital part of our place. Penty of power for plowing, logging, clearing, etc......... Got it and most of the epuipment 7 years ago at a good deal and wouldn't take anything for it, LOL...... Ken

God's Country
09-28-2010, 08:49 PM
We have a Cub/Yanmar 2400 SCUT.
I'm quite amazed what this liitle tractor will do.

Also an old Huber maintainer/grader. Don't use it often but it can be quite useful.

dryflyshaman
11-03-2010, 12:11 AM
ford 3000 and ford 3400 65-75.

the 3000 is a straight agricultural model.

the 3400 is sort of an industrial model having a front end loader and an easily attached backhoe attachment.

they are both three cylinder gas engines. i understand the design started out as a deisel and ford converted em to gas. huge cylinders and they dont like a sudden load, but if ya bring a load in slow, they will lug like nobodys bidness!

i also have a john deere but i dont consider that a tractor.

DM
11-03-2010, 11:20 PM
i also have a john deere but i dont consider that a tractor.

HA HA HA, me too AND me too! lol

DM

ldsparamedic
11-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm looking for a John Deere 430 and some all fuel pistons for it. I know I will lose horsepower, but I will be able to burn almost anything I want such as thinned down waste oil in it. It will drop down to about 23hp. That sure beats 2 horse power and walking up and down a field all day!

chero
11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I have a Mahindra. Bought a used backhoe attachment a while back. Very versatile attachment

buckinghorse
11-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I have a 50s model ford 600 stearing section needs to be replaced

Rickhead
11-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Im going to get an 8N. Had a 9N, all wore out. Had footpegs, this was before ford figured out that hurts when ya slip.
My brother has 5 farmalls. He's a fahmah. He shares, tho.

cuppajoe
11-28-2010, 12:58 PM
9N ford , $1100 initial investment. Came with Dailmer-Benz 2 -bottom plow, tire chains, grader blade, draw bar w/stabilizers and stay chains, and rear scoop/bucket.

That was 20 years ago.

Have added a 5ft brush hog (new 1990 $500) , 6ft disc and spring tooth harrows (used $300).

That was 20 years ago. I put new rear tires/rims on it, replaced the manifold, genny/starter and redid the wiring (about $1000).

So $2900/20 years = $145 per year, that dose not cover gas/oil/tuneups

And it will brush hog all day on a 7 gal tank of fuel, does not use any oil, and I can fix almost anything with a adj. wrench and a screw driver.

That right there is why I need a 8/9 N .....

cameron
01-14-2011, 11:02 PM
I have a kioti dk40 with a FEL. 6' brushhog, boxblade and disc. Have had it for a year and a half now with 170 hours on it. Has been a good tractor so far. First tractor for me and am learning a lot.

DR Prepper
02-24-2011, 01:14 AM
I have a 52 John Deere B, a 49 Minneapolis Moline UTIL, a 47 Uber road grader, and a frankenstien combination of a 64 and 59 International Track Loaders. All of them need some help, but I like rusty junk. Can't say the same for my wife he he
:lol:

squeaky
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
We have 2000 Ford New Holland 3930 with a front end loader, 5' bush hog, 5' box blade, 12" post hole auger, 5' disc and a 5' tiller.
I love it, and it even has one of those protective canopies. It is a pleasure to operate and we use it for pulling up old posts to hauling fire wood and everything else in between.

bacpacker1513
02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Great thread! I have a early 70's Duetz. It has been in the family since 73. It's got about 3000 hrs on it. My dad started having some grinding noise in the tranny and parked it for 3 years. He bought a new JD5103 to replace it.
He was going to give it away, so I took it and had it looked at. We have a Duetz dealer about 30 miles from here and they found a throwout bearing practically in peices.
They were able to find the parts, well at least very close, to replace the throwout bearing, clutch, and pressure plate. They also resurfaced the flywheel. The pressure plate they used is slightly different from the original and is hard to put the PTO in gear at times. I've got about 30 hours on it since then and it's getting better all the time as it wears in.
I currently have a 12" double bottom turning plow, chisel point cultivator, a 5' disk that I just got last fall. carry all, boom pole, & old New Holland Mowing machine that works. It's been set up to pull with a tractor. Just need to find a set of knives and gander teeth for it.
Need to get a bush hog.

Travis
02-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Just bought a Kubota B7800 it was a rental unit and is plumbed to the rear and has the backhoe attached. Bought a 5' Landpride box with mechanically controlled rippers.

Its a bit much for my 1 acre but it was a good deal and I really do not want to spend hours and hours moving dirt which is the primary reason why I bought the tractor.

oldtimer
03-07-2011, 09:10 PM
35 to 85 Masseys are great homestead tractors. So are 8 or 9 N fords, and any little Ferguson I would say they are all the best bang for your buck if buying a used tractor. They're easy to get parts, repair, and will do anything you want it to do.

Sometimes you just live with what you can get. I've got a John Deere B and a John Deere A as well as to 44 Massey Harris's and a TO 30 Ferguson. The latter I couldn't live without. My grandpa bought it new in 1951 and she's a little mighty mite.

SmokeEater2
03-08-2011, 10:04 PM
1948 Ford 8N. Got it and a well used bush hog and a back blade from my FIL for $600.

It's not pretty and I've got some work to do to it (something I enjoy anyway) but it sure makes life easier. :yes4:

Wyobuckaroo
03-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Where is that "we need pictures" smiley that you see on some forums ?
I think we need that.............. So........

PICTURES............. WE NEED PICTURES..............

I would be glad to post pictures of my JD........... Soon as I learn how.........

Wyo

oldtimer
03-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Where is that "we need pictures" smiley that you see on some forums ?
I think we need that.............. So........

PICTURES............. WE NEED PICTURES..............

I would be glad to post pictures of my JD........... Soon as I learn how.........

Wyo
When you figure it out, let the rest of us know, in the mean time, don't fret it. We've all seen green tractors before. :D We know how JD people are, they're color blind and think green is the only shade on earth.:rolleyes:

Wyobuckaroo
03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
When you figure it out, let the rest of us know, in the mean time, don't fret it. We've all seen green tractors before. :D We know how JD people are, they're color blind and think green is the only shade on earth.:rolleyes:
---------------------------------
So ????????????

(snicker, snicker, chuckle, gefaw, Bwahahahaahaha)

Ok.......... I'll start the bad tractor jokes................

Do you know why they paint some tractors red or orange ?

So you can find them in the tall hay fields where they broke down..........
(sound of whip lash)
--------------------
Next............
Wyo

land steward
03-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I have tractor envy. The ground on our property is a bit wet so I am looking for a 50 -60 horse Kubota. Know nothing about tractors so it should be interesting.
I was told Kubota was the best brand name. Is that true?

MooseToo
03-19-2011, 02:23 PM

well, of course it's true - it's a guarantee that EVERY kubota dealer in the country will swear to it -

amassing personal experience with tractors can be a very expensive process - perhaps best to copycat from neighboring tractor owners and operators - identify a number of folks in your immediate area who put a lot of hours on their own tractors and ask where and why they'll be looking to buy their next one -

such advice based upon the local personal experience of others can be priceless - you can pretty much ignore the internet advice you get regarding brands - brand "x" might be the perfect tractor to do some specific task in some specific location - but it might be terrible in another location (especially if you are in the used tractor market) - a wide range of things varying from soil conditions, climate and moisture statistics to dealer proximity and service reputation and even readily available sources of required fuels, etc can be determining factors in deciding on the bestest one for you - don't be shy about asking around - who knows, you might make contact with a neighbor willing to lend or rent you his favorite tractor for a week or two in order to try it and see if it fits YOUR specific needs - just don't break it -

Wyobuckaroo
03-19-2011, 10:08 PM
The color of the tractor in YOUR yard is the least important issue.

Like has been said.....
Your needs, availability of brands and sizes, service, parts, and implements will be the most important factors to consider when you write the check.........

KnowwhatImean

Good luck
Wyo

AZTimT
03-24-2011, 06:07 AM
I have tractor envy. The ground on our property is a bit wet so I am looking for a 50 -60 horse Kubota. Know nothing about tractors so it should be interesting.

I researched for several years before purchasing the perfect tractor to do everything for me. After working as a field mechanic and service tech in the construction field for several years I had my eyes opened a bit. I have had more experience than I really wanted with repairing the newer offerings of some companies out there that have chosen to live off their reputation rather than living up to it.

Partial list of needs:
Didn't want to buy a forklift so it needed to be something big enough to lift a fully loaded 4,000 lb pallet of whatever I needed to load/unload.
Didn't want to buy a mini excavator, so it needed to be a backhoe that could reach down/out past 10 feet that could be operated from the same seat.
Didn't want to buy a skidsteer, so it needed to be something that could use the same kind of attachments up front and still be nimble at turning.
Didn't want to buy a big heavy truck just to pull a super heavy machine if I need to move it to another location for side work or favors, so it needed to be something I could pull safely and legally with a 3/4 ton pickup and a 12-14,000 lb gvw trailer.
Didn't want to buy a separate farm tractor, so it needed to have a removable backhoe with 3 point attachments.
Didn't want to buy a machine that was made from mostly parts sourced from foreign factories NOT OWNED by the manufacturer that often close down/lose a contract and cease to deliver parts, so it needed to be a machine that is almost completely made in house with the exception of rubber components.
Didn't want to buy a machine that didn't have a good dealer close by, so it needed to have a local dealer that had been in business long enough to know they will still be there if I need them.
Didn't want to be fighting/frustrated with simple engineering rectal cranial inversions that could have easily been avoided, so it need to be made with some common sense from the view of a mechanic more than a number cruncher.
Didn't want to be repairing machine on a regular basis due to low quality parts with a high rate of failure, so it needed to be reliable.
Didn't want to be going broke keeping it running, so it needed to be efficient.
Didn't want to ever go through this process again, so it needed to be good enough to last me a very long time.

There is more, but it is unnecessary as I thought I may already be asking for too much from one machine, but it turns out I wasn't. Bottom line, I narrowed the options down to a John Deere 110tlb, a JCB I forgot the model number to, and either a Kubota L48 or M59.

After spending almost a year just researching those machines, the only tractor that met every single need on my list turned out to be the Kubota M59 TLB. I bought it used with 69 hours on it and it is the most expensive thing I own besides my property, but it has already almost paid for itself in less than two years with everything I have done so far if I had to rent a separate machine for everything that I couldn't have done with just one of anything else. For much less than the price of a new one I have 4,000 lb lift capacity forks/receiver hitch for trailers/bale spear, 1 yard heaped bucket that doubles as a sweet snowplow, 12 ft backhoe with 8,000 lbs of force and hydraulic thumb as well as a hydraulic back blade that works almost as well as real road grader. Oh, and the homemade hydraulic log splitter! I absolutely love this machine and it still has room for expansion. I can see a front grapple post hole auger or T-post pounder being a useful addition pretty soon.

Here are some pics of one of my best investments ever.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2z5u7om.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/24oaepw.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/70gyu8.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2v1q15z.jpg

bopperman
05-21-2011, 12:57 AM
I have a Ford 3550 Industrial with a 735 loader . Also a Satoh Beaver 373D which I use for anything that can be done with a 17.5 horse diesl . The Beaver will do the same as the old gas engine Ford on about 1/10th the fuel . All of the Japanese tractors are serious workers and fuel sippers .When I grade my very long and hilly driveway it takes 7 to 8 gallons of gas with the Ford and only 1/2 gallon of diesel with rthe Beaver to do the same job . The Beaver is much lighter but with the 4WD it will pull almost as much as the much bigger Ford. As for Kubota being the best , I would take any of the Japanese tractors but stay away from the Chinese stuff . They got a long way to go in the tractor field . My neibor soends more time working on his and trying to find parts than he does working the Chinko piece of sh!t.

opsrto
07-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Lets see. I got on a Ford kick a few years back. Figured it would be easier to have a tractor per implement. That way I can spend more time in the seat and not on the ground changing stuff out.
1946 8N
1955 641
1957 641
1955 841
1958 871

3 FELs (not installed)
2 bottem disk plow
2-14 bottom plow
boom pole
mid buster
7 ft drag blade x2
7 ft box blade
8 ft brush hog
5 ft brush hog
3pt carry all
28 in cordwood saw

But the tractor I use most is the 86 hp Yanmar with the FEL with bucket, hay spike and grapple. And soon to have a 10 ft brush hog.

The 2 671s are in varius stages of repair. The 841 caught fire twice last year and I wasnt even home. The 8N has a 6 ft woods belly mower on it. It is my lawn mower. But it is also the next one going into the shop. I was able to get my hands on a 94 cu in Merc flat head V8. So she will get a shot of paint, new crome and about double the HP. and remain the lawn mower. I like toys, but they need to be useful... which is why I have mules and not horses

TickFarmer
07-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Mahindra 4025 (40 HP, 31 HP on the PTO), 2 wheel drive with loader.

'53 Ford gas powered. Bigger than an 8N, smaller than a Jubilee. Has a loader and became sidelined when the Mahindra took over as the 'main' tractor.

headhunter
07-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Mine is a JD 4100. The smallest compact JD makes. 4-wheel drive with a 1 liter 3 cyl. yamar diesel. Bucket w 700# lift, 54" snowblower, 54" mower and a 4' drag. It replaced my JD 140 with 48" mower and mounted tiller ten years ago. Life is much easier.

Wyobuckaroo
07-20-2012, 05:14 PM
HH

CONGRATS on your new JD.

Do you have gear or Hydro ?

If hydro, it will be in about the same class as the 755 series tractor. I have an 855. Next size bigger and 24 hp.

You will find it is a brute for it's size and weight. I think most of the complaints people have about this size tractor is that they are trying to do work at the same rate as a 3 ton tractor with a 1 ton tractor.

It will do the same work, just not as fast or in as big a bites as a bigger tractor.

Enjoy

PICTURES............ WE NEED PICTURES.......

J R Adams
07-20-2012, 08:01 PM
HH

CONGRATS on your new JD.

Do you have gear or Hydro ?

If hydro, it will be in about the same class as the 755 series tractor. I have an 855. Next size bigger and 24 hp.

You will find it is a brute for it's size and weight. I think most of the complaints people have about this size tractor is that they are trying to do work at the same rate as a 3 ton tractor with a 1 ton tractor.

It will do the same work, just not as fast or in as big a bites as a bigger tractor.

Enjoy

PICTURES............ WE NEED PICTURES.......

Mine is a JD 4100. The smallest compact JD makes. 4-wheel drive with a 1 liter 3 cyl. yamar diesel. Bucket w 700# lift, 54" snowblower, 54" mower and a 4' drag. It replaced my JD 140 with 48" mower and mounted tiller ten years ago. Life is much easier.

Gentlemen,

You bring back memories. In 1979-1981 I was the Factory Program Manager at the John Deere Waterloo Tractor Works for Utility Tractors.

The JD 850, 950 and 1050 tractors were my babies to coordinate the manufacturing of US produced opitons for those tractors and cocodinating the Marketing Introrduction. Later the JD650 & JD 750 were brought into the product line. At that time those units were manufactured in Japan to JD specification and tested in the US. Power steering, Loaders, Backhoes and Box Scrapers were designed and manufactured in the US.

The JD855 is a later series and the 4100, I have no idea where it is assembled. Maybe Georgia or North Carolina, I've been retired for 20 years and haven't kept up with the products.

Thanks for the memories.

Wyobuckaroo
07-20-2012, 10:04 PM
FANTASTIC JR
Always neat to run into someone who is in the know of things.
Now........... Old Buddy.......... If you know where I can get a nice #7 back hoe with mounting frame.......... for cheap............
A little eye candy....
---------
Oh... Snap.......... web site conplaines the files are too big. I don't know how to fix that.

Plowpoint
07-20-2012, 11:02 PM
I am not a huge fan of the color of tractors, I just LOVE tractors.

We have had them all, Fords, Farmall's, John Deere's, Kubota's, and New Holland's...they all have done well in reality. I say that because we have always worked them for every horsepower then had and put them in places no tractor was ever designed to go, but that is farming.

My favorite tractor right now has got to be Big Blue, a 9684 New Holland that is amazing to run, but I will tell you, it is not the most practical. Yeah it can move lots of snow, push up and pack the silage piles and disk 10 acres in 15 minutes, but most of our equipment is not sized for it yet.

A few years ago I got to run a smaller tractor, a 8730 Ford on a new farm we now lease. Years ago we used to custom hay that field with a 140 hp Massey Ferguson 2wd tractor and worried on the steep hillside we would slip on a cow turd and end up going backwards since we had a haybaler and hay wagon on behind it. My Uncle shook his head with amazement as I plowed up that 15% grade, pulling a 7 bottom plow behind me just watching the sod roll off. Tractors have come a long way.

Which one is best...I have no idea. I had some great memories on a John Deere 1010 bulldozer which we had all growing up, but I got a lot done with a 850C John Deere Dozer as well, along with a 450 John Deere Dozer and a Caterpillar D-4...same thing with the wheeled tractors....silage choppers, and wheel loaders...it is the memories of what was done with them that is special. They all had their place.

J R Adams
07-21-2012, 06:54 PM
FANTASTIC JR
Always neat to run into someone who is in the know of things.
Now........... Old Buddy.......... If you know where I can get a nice #7 back hoe with mounting frame.......... for cheap............
A little eye candy....
---------
Oh... Snap.......... web site conplaines the files are too big. I don't know how to fix that.

Wish I could help. My first day of retirement was April 1,1993. I never looked back. You have to be a farm boy with tractors in your blood to want to keep up with the product. They've got compurters, GPI and so much other stuff programed into the equipment now it makes my head swim. I don't know how they can train anyone to trouble shoot and repair the stuff. Like I said,"memories".

Mad_Professor
07-25-2012, 02:03 PM
After 20+ years of running a Ford 9N I have added a late model Ford 2000 (3-cyl gas w/PS and diffy lock).

A lot more tractor, but, A LOT MORE TO WORK ON TOO. And that is a circa 1974.

I pity the folks who have to work on the newer Chit.

On my N all I need is a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench. It runs a 5-ft brush hog all day on less than a 7-gal tank of gas, strarts to plow snow on +ground 6V system at -10oF , and the tools in the supplied toolbox are all I need to work on it.

Plowpoint
07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
I rented some big dozers this year to get some land clearing done and I had a dozer go down and ended up talking a lot to their mechanic.

They just bought a huge excavator...brand new and put a rock hammer on it. Within 3 weeks, the vibration had blown every circuit board on the machine...a $270,000 dollar machine. When they called the manufacturer of course they said, "well you should not have put it on our machine because its not rated for it", yet when he called the hammer manufactuer they said, "hammers vibrate the machine they are on", so they were in a quandary; a massive machine, expensive and completely shot. I am not sure if their insurance will pay or not, but either way the bill is going to be high.

As a side note; I watched the mechanic calibrate the dozer I rented and it was pretty scary. For 20 minutes the computer on that machine ran the bulldozer completely, complete with back and forth movements, throttle, blade orientation and all three travel speeds...forward and back and all without operator input...and that was a 1997 machine! It is scary that the new ones will do even more than that!

Wish I could help. My first day of retirement was April 1,1993. I never looked back. You have to be a farm boy with tractors in your blood to want to keep up with the product. They've got compurters, GPI and so much other stuff programed into the equipment now it makes my head swim. I don't know how they can train anyone to trouble shoot and repair the stuff. Like I said,"memories".