PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal on a used reloading setup??

CountryGuy
06-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I've been looking at getting into reloading and there is a guy close to me selling his setup. I think it's a good deal but I'm hoping y'all can tell me if it is or not. From what I've read and heard this lock-n-load is supposed to be a great rig. Any thoughts?

Also any points on things I should look at to make sure it's all OK and not busted or anything before I pay him. I'll paste his listing below listing what is included. Thanks

hornady lock-n-load ap press with powder drop $325
hornady 44 dies $25
lee 308 dies $15
lock-n-load shell plates #2 #30 $20 each
lock-n-load powder cop $20
10pc lock-n-load bushing set $30
lee hand auto primer $10
rcbs case lube pad with case lube $5
rcbs powder trickler $10

all this stuff comes to $480 if you take it all $350 cash what you dont want you can put on ebay and get top $
this is pick up only

blackpowderbill
06-04-2010, 04:49 PM
I sell reloading equipment that is a good price

CountryGuy
06-06-2010, 12:53 AM
BPB - Thanks. I called and left a msg for him so now wait to hear back.

Besides die's for the caliber's I want to do, powder, primers & bullets and a Hornady reloading book what else do I or should I get in order to get busy?

Teg
06-06-2010, 02:44 AM
You didn't mention it in your plans and it is seperate from plain old reloading but if you plan on eventually casting your own bullets you will need to look into a melter furnace (the bottom pour versions are pretty smooth in my opinion), safety gear, lubricator and appropriate molds for starters. :)

NotSoFast
06-06-2010, 03:17 AM
One thing I noticed is that the list doesn't include a powder measure. I like the RCBS 5-0-5 myself. This and a good reloading manual are absolutely essential for reloading. For manuals, I like the Hornady manual overall.

NotSoFast
06-06-2010, 03:22 AM
How much would you estimate it would cost to get into casting your own bullets, say for just one size, like .357 magnum with two types of bullets, wadcutter and a hollow point? If I did, I would be starting from scratch as far as equipment and supplies.

Teg
06-06-2010, 03:39 AM
How much would you estimate it would cost to get into casting your own bullets, say for just one size, like .357 magnum with two types of bullets, wadcutter and a hollow point? If I did, I would be starting from scratch as far as equipment and supplies.

If you look around over at Midway and other spots you should be able to get a basic set up for less than $300 as a rough estimate, maybe a bit cheaper if you can find some used pieces.

CountryGuy
06-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Thanks all, I think casting is a ways down the road for me to consider. Got to see if I like reloading and if I'm any good at it before I get over my head on $.

Left a message for the guy but no call back yet. Don't know if that means he sold it or just hasn't gotten around to calling