PDA

View Full Version : water bill

daffodil
06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
This whole water bill thing just sends me into a frenzy everytime I get it. I can't believe I used EXACTLY the same amount of water as I did on my last bill. Another $95.11 bill! Plus late charges added so past due is $104.62. I owe $199.73! And they claim it's an actual reading. It says on the back they mail bills monthly but service period is 3/10 to 4/21 on one and 4/21 to 5/20 on the other. The one is almost 6 weeks. I'll be glad when I can disconnect from them! I think I'll take the time to hang the other gutter this week and get some more collection containers. It's supposed to rain for a couple days. Don't want to miss out on the free stuff! I'm waiting to hear back on a wringer washer:). And I think I'll start force flushing tomorrow. Then if I get another $95 bill I know they're ripping me off!

12vman
06-10-2010, 10:48 PM
If you're on city/county water, don't they have a basic bill that they charge up to "X" amount of gallons used per month and charge extra for any usage over that amount? Do you have a septic system or are you tied into a county/city system?

AlchemyAcres
06-10-2010, 10:58 PM
At the rental property I own....water is billed bi-monthly...a minimum of 6 units....a unit is 100 cubic feet/748 gallons...$4.47 per unit.

So, the bi-monthly bill is exactly the same unless more than the 6 units are used.

~Martin

daffodil
06-10-2010, 10:58 PM
If you're on city/county water, don't they have a basic bill that they charge up to "X" amount of gallons used per month and charge extra for any usage over that amount? Do you have a septic system or are you tied into a county/city system?

Yes. The basic is $25 a month, billed whether you use any water at all. no septic. we have sewer included in the bill. all one bill.

12vman
06-10-2010, 11:01 PM
WoW.. there's no way that you will get out of paying that bill. They'll assume if you have a water connection, you'll be making sewage in one form or another.

daffodil
06-10-2010, 11:01 PM
At the rental property I own....water is billed bi-monthly...a minimum of 6 units....a unit is 100 cubic feet/748 gallons...$4.47 per unit.

So, the bi-monthly bill is exactly the same unless more than the 6 units are used.

~Martin

They are supposed to bill monthly for us but I've had billing periods with just 3 weeks on them and others with 6 weeks. It seems they do whatever they want. Mostly they want to disconnect people. We've got the nastiest water company around. Everyone who talks to them agrees. It's not just me.

daffodil
06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
WoW.. there's no way that you will get out of paying that bill. They'll assume if you have a water connection, you'll be making sewage in one form or another.

When I lived here before they were separate bills. They've changed things. They also charge a 10% late fee and a $5 fee for sending out a disconnect notice.

12vman
06-10-2010, 11:08 PM
They've changed things alright.. to their advantage! You can't have the water shut off and live there. Bummer.. :(

daffodil
06-10-2010, 11:10 PM
They've changed things alright.. to their advantage! You can't have the water shut off and live there. Bummer.. :(

If you want to pull the meter so you don't have any costs (summer people) it costs $160 to have it turned back on.

12vman
06-10-2010, 11:12 PM
That sounds like the gooberment. Gotcha any way you move!

12vman
06-10-2010, 11:26 PM
About the only thing that you can do is keep your water usage through the meter as low as possible. They don't know how much sewage you are putting into the system. They assume that by the amount of water you use through the meter.

Collect all of the rain water you can and use it for anything that you can. Do your laundry at the laundry mat. Get your cooking/drinking water somewhere else. That's the only way to keep that bill low..

sewserious
06-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Doing laundry at the laundramat won't save any money! Not when it is $2 or more to wash one load of clothes! That is just putting the money somewhere else and paying someone else's water bill.

daffodil
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Doing laundry at the laundramat won't save any money! Not when it is $2 or more to wash one load of clothes! That is just putting the money somewhere else and paying someone else's water bill.

$2!!?? It's $4.50 here! And usually about .50 to dry. I line dry though. Was costing me $20 a week when I was going.

175lt2
06-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Where I live in PA if they run a sewage line past your house you are forced to hook up to it even if you have a perfectly good sand mound or septic and then they charge you $4000.00 for the privilege of city sewage,,they base your monthly bill on water used so if you have a well now you have to put a meter on it. It probably won't be too long before they want to bill you for the well water used,,but I'm just a conspiracy nut they would never do that:sarcastic::sarcastic:

cinok
06-11-2010, 10:47 PM
How many gallons a month does your bill show.

keydl
06-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Is the meter where you can read it? Keep a log of gallons used. They sent a bill for a full turn on a meter because the reader was filling in the paper at the cafe and the sub did the job. An engineer calculated that it would take over 7 weeks to run that much water through the pipe if it spilled on the ground.

daffodil
06-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Where I live in PA if they run a sewage line past your house you are forced to hook up to it even if you have a perfectly good sand mound or septic and then they charge you $4000.00 for the privilege of city sewage,,they base your monthly bill on water used so if you have a well now you have to put a meter on it. It probably won't be too long before they want to bill you for the well water used,,but I'm just a conspiracy nut they would never do that:sarcastic::sarcastic:

That's getting scary! They want to keep track of everything.

daffodil
06-12-2010, 09:21 AM
How many gallons a month does your bill show.

Says "consumption 7" "readings from 785 to 792" actual reading they add a "adm fee $2.00" too.

daffodil
06-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Is the meter where you can read it? Keep a log of gallons used. They sent a bill for a full turn on a meter because the reader was filling in the paper at the cafe and the sub did the job. An engineer calculated that it would take over 7 weeks to run that much water through the pipe if it spilled on the ground.

My meter has a wire run to a plastic box on the side of the house. You can't see anything on the box, doesn't open or anything. A neighbor opened the meter on the ground for me and the dial wasn't spinning at all.

johnny
06-12-2010, 03:25 PM
My meter has a wire run to a plastic box on the side of the house. You can't see anything on the box, doesn't open or anything. A neighbor opened the meter on the ground for me and the dial wasn't spinning at all.

Best post--for your sake--you've made thus far.
Not spinning means one thing--NO LEAKAGE!

Using 7 'units' in one month with no leaks would mean that you have to use over a hundred gallons and almost 2 hundred gallons a day.
State should have a Utilities Board so if the water crooks wont help then contact or file a complaint with the state board.
An anonymous tip to the EPA might settle some of your 'nasty' water probs.
Most of those companies do not want any state or govt folks snooping or checking on them.

daffodil
06-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Best post--for your sake--you've made thus far.
Not spinning means one thing--NO LEAKAGE!

Using 7 'units' in one month with no leaks would mean that you have to use over a hundred gallons and almost 2 hundred gallons a day.
State should have a Utilities Board so if the water crooks wont help then contact or file a complaint with the state board.
An anonymous tip to the EPA might settle some of your 'nasty' water probs.
Most of those companies do not want any state or govt folks snooping or checking on them.

WOW!!!!! I think I'd know if I was using that much water a day! Thanks Johnny!

keydl
06-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Does the meter have usage numbers to show gallons or liters, or just a vane to show movement.

You can add a meter that shows usage, convenient just after the house shutoff valve.

If the numbers are far apart it could be certified and the basis for a fraud in trade lawsuit. You will also learn where the water goes by reading the meter every day.

One place that I rented had a neighbors irrigation on my meter, meter turned with the house shut off, so I looked for the leak. Few min with a hacksaw and a pipe plug solved that.

daffodil
06-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Does the meter have usage numbers to show gallons or liters, or just a vane to show movement.

You can add a meter that shows usage, convenient just after the house shutoff valve.

If the numbers are far apart it could be certified and the basis for a fraud in trade lawsuit. You will also learn where the water goes by reading the meter every day.

One place that I rented had a neighbors irrigation on my meter, meter turned with the house shut off, so I looked for the leak. Few min with a hacksaw and a pipe plug solved that.

I think it had the usage numbers on it.
I thought maybe someone was hooked into mine but it had been off for about 2 years while the house was empty.