PDA

View Full Version : Long-term Storage for Components?

Lanark_Sixgunner
06-12-2010, 08:56 PM
A question about long-term storage of reloading components: How long can primers and powder keep in a cool, dry storage environment? I am planning on storing a large quantity of Unique and primers. Let’s be wild……… will they work 20 yrs. Down the road? 50? Also, how about black powder? And, should you vacuum-seal it all?

Thanks!

- L. Sixgunner

gunsmoke
06-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Vacuum seal?

You bet! I would and I do commercial vacuum sealer, mylar bags, oxy absorbers.

I even do it with my magazines loaded (usually 5 rounds shy of capacity the springs where possible swapped out for chrome silicon) vacuum sealed individually and stashed in .50 cal cans.

Kept temperature stable, I think storage life is indefinite or at least beyond my life expectency.

Teg
06-13-2010, 01:28 PM
There was a recent article in American Handgunner where they were reloading with some 40 or 50 year old powder as an experiment and it worked fine, they didn't recommend it for day to day use but the powder did survive for a very long time with no special prep and was still potent.

175lt2
06-14-2010, 03:12 AM
I have some turkish 8mm mauser ammo from 1931 and it still works fine,I don't see why cans of powder and primers wouldn't last just as long if properly stored.

gunsmoke
06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
On this subject Weidners has a pretty good sale on WOLF brand primers, I've never used WOLF components or ammo so I cannot speak to their quality.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|737