PDA

View Full Version : scrambled eggs

momma_to_seven_chi
07-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Has anyone ever tried to can eggs? not pickled eggs, just eggs--

Our fridge is FULL to the brim with eggs, so I am going to take a few dozen, mix them like scrambled eggs, stick them in jars raw, add a bit of salt, and process. I kind of assumed since they are a protein, 65min at 15lb would do fine for pints. I figure all the jars will sterilize along with the eggs in the canner. And it would seem a pint would hold six or eight eggs, that would be a good meal sized portion with leftover for the chihuahuas.
I kind of thought they would be good to warm in butter, add some onions, mushrooms, grn peppers and serve as huevos rancheros wrapped in a tortilla with some cheese and salsa when I open them to use.

My only concern is that they will turn out rubbery. Has anyone ever tried this or have any thoughts on it? Do you think they would turn into a soft ball? Maybe I should add a tablespoon of water to keep them moister or maybe some butter. I figure if I process them like a meat, they should be ok.

randallhilton
07-19-2010, 12:51 AM
BHM has an article referencing the subject.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/case66.html I don't know squat about it but apparently it's not real popular.

Gracie
07-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Momma_to_Seven_Chi, I've never had too many eggs :), but wonder would it be a consideration to freeze your eggs. Could you take, say 2 eggs @ a time, scramble them, vacuum seal them, write the date on the bag and stash them in the freezer. So the next time you made, oh, lets say a batdh of cookies, just take your eggs from the freezer and defrost them in your microwave, either in the bag, or in a micro-safe bowl, and then add them to the rest of your ingredients. Wouldn't think there would be much if any taste difference, yet don't know how long they would 'keep' in the freezer. Hope this is of some help.

momma_to_seven_chi
07-19-2010, 12:46 PM
BHM has an article referencing the subject.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/case66.html I don't know squat about it but apparently it's not real popular.

I read that, but it didn't sound appealing to me. I am going to do it just like you do chicken or pork or beef. My only concern was that they might be rubbery.
I will try it, and let everyone know how it turns out later.

Mom5farmboys
07-19-2010, 01:01 PM
When I get too many eggs I make french toast (a dozen beaten eggs will coat about 1 loaf of store boughten bread)
I fry the toast up and let cool, then I freeze it all in a bread bag, when the kids want a slice or two they just take out what they want and pop it in the toaster.

Another thing I have done is to boil eggs, peel and chop them (like for egg salad) and freeze when I want to make egg salad, or potato or macaroni salad, I simply put in the frozen chopped egg, although its not as good as fresh it is ok.

I'm interested to hear how canning them turns out, if you decide to do that please share your results.

randallhilton
07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Re: Rubbery eggs. . . as long as the nutrition is there and they are safe to eat why worry about texture. Just call them "egg jerky" or "hen chews." Add a little picante sauce and you have "Mexican Blubber."

Besides. . . could they possibly be any worse than cafeteria food? :sarcastic:

TEX
07-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Actually I don't think I could choke down canned scrambled eggs but thought this was an interesting article on egg preservation.

http://www.oldandsold.com/articles11/miscellaneous-recipes-13.shtml

just part of the article

1. EGGS-How to Preserve Them, Pour Plans. Whatever excludes the air prevents the decay of the egg. What I have found to be the most successful method of doing so, is to place a small quantity of salt butter in the palm of the left hand and turn the egg around in it, so that every pore of the shell is closed; then dry a sufficient quantity of bran in an oven (be sure you have the bran well dried). Then pack them with the small ends down in a layer of bran and another of eggs until your box is full; then place in a cold, dry place. If done when newly-laid, they will retain the sweet milk and curd of a new laid egg for at least 8 or 10 months. Any oil will do, but salt butter never becomes rancid, and a very small quantity of butter will do a very large ,quantity of eggs. To insure freshness, I rub them when gathered in from the nests; then pack when there is a sufficient quantity.E. Alexander.

NCLee
07-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Mama, in all my years of canning and reading about canning, I don't think I've ever seen instructions on canning eggs.

Have seen lots of talk about how to preserve them. Usually, what I see is to freeze them in ice cube trays and then tranfer to freezer bags for storage. The other method is to store them in water glass (sodium silicate) http://www.millennium-ark.net/News_Files/Food/storing_eggs.html Available from Lehman's. http://www.lehmans.com/store/Tools___Farm___Farming___Poultry_Equipment___Water glass__liquid_sodium_silicate____10406?Args=

Lee

bookwormom
07-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Freezing was my way of preserving the extras. I wonder though, could they be frozen scrambled and fried already? Never did that. My first attempt was to freeze them in their own, natural packaging. Must have been 1972. they all busted, the yolk was like rubber. We ate them, but I can not remember how.

NCLee
07-19-2010, 05:50 PM
As a general rule, cooked food, has a relatively short shelf life in the freezer, when compared to the storage life of the equivalent, if frozen raw. Our home cooked stuff doesn't have all those chemicals and what-have-you that commercial frozen heat & eat have to prolong the shelf life.

So, while I don't know for sure, I suspect that frozen cooked eggs would probably be rubbery and would have a fairly short life in the freezer. You might want to try one or 2 and keep it for a week. Thaw, heat, and put in a sandwich. If OK, try again, extending the time in the freezer for a month. If if doesn't work, you've only lost a couple of eggs that didn't turn out to be good to eat.

Lee

neparose
07-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I've done fried eggs sandwichs with sausage on muffins and froze them. They turned out just fine, never noticed any rubbery-ness.