PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Fruit Fresh

sally
08-17-2010, 12:23 AM
I read in my Sunset "Canning Freezing & Drying" book that instead of using a commercial antioxidant, you can just put the fruit into a mixture of 2 Tblsp salt, 2 Tblsp vinegar, and 1 gallon water. No need to rinse before cooking or placing in jars.

I tried this last year when canning pears. It worked beautifully. I still have some quarts left, and the pears still look and taste great. I'm using it now for apples. They are soaking in it while I'm playing on the computer. :)

I've also read that the sugar in the syrup also helps preserve color and firmness, so I'm sure that also helped with the pears.

laf1110
08-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Fantastic!

Gracie
08-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Sally, Thank you a million, it's great to have this recipe...will never have to buy fruit fresh again!

nhlivefreeordie
08-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Gracie, you can get bulk Ascorbic Acid at the Amish store a lot cheaper than fruit fresh.

Genevieve
08-17-2010, 09:31 AM
well, I guess in an emergency situation it'd be ok. But, I don't use salt in anything unless I have to.
wonder if it's just the vinegar that keeps the fruits from browning? I mean, when you use lemon juice, you don't need salt.

CapeCMom
08-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Thank you for this recipe!!!! I just ran out of my fruit fresh and it's really stupid money to buy it. The little jar is like 4 dollars here so I didn't feel like spending more money on something that I can make myself.

iowasue
08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I use vinegar when canning potatoes - it works really well. I don't think you really need the salt in this recipe - I would think the vinegar alone would work. Thanks for this idea.

Gracie
08-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Wayne, Thanks for mentioning the Ascorbic Acid substitute, had forgotten it and Fruit Fresh were interchangable...there is an Amish Market not too far from us...txs. again.

Iowa Sue, Please, how much vinegar do you add to your potatoes when canning them...hadn't thought to add anything to keep them from discoloring. Thank You!

momma_to_seven_chi
08-17-2010, 05:25 PM
any acid works
I squirt a lemon into fruits to preserve the color, or add a couple Vit C tablets as suggested, or even squirt a lime. Any acid works, but vinegar seems to have a stronger flavor than others IMO.

TEX
08-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Ascorbic acid is also pretty inexpensive at health food stores - also look in the vitamin section at your local wallyworld/big box store/drug store. A lot less costly than fruit fresh even from a health food store.

nhlivefreeordie
08-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Wayne, Thanks for mentioning the Ascorbic Acid substitute, had forgotten it and Fruit Fresh were interchangable...there is an Amish Market not too far from us...txs. again.

Iowa Sue, Please, how much vinegar do you add to your potatoes when canning them...hadn't thought to add anything to keep them from discoloring. Thank You!

You are most welcome Gracie, I use it most of the time, especially on fruit, something about mixing vinegar and fruit that I can't get my head around. Lynn puts vinegar in French Fries...YUK!!! Really the only place I like vinegar is on my salads.

yotetrapper
08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Don't knock vinegar on french fries unless you've tried it, Wayne, lol.

nhlivefreeordie
08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Don't knock vinegar on french fries unless you've tried it, Wayne, lol.

I have.....***barf***

Now gravy on french fries is AWESOME!!

momma_to_seven_chi
08-19-2010, 02:04 PM

You sound like my daughter. When we go to a buffet, she covers FF with brown gravy, bacon bits, and shredded cheese. Too icky for me or her siblings and dad.

nhlivefreeordie
08-19-2010, 03:52 PM
You sound like my daughter. When we go to a buffet, she covers FF with brown gravy, bacon bits, and shredded cheese. Too icky for me or her siblings and dad.

Good stuff, the girl knows what is tasty..;)

TEX
08-19-2010, 06:36 PM
I have.....***barf***

what he said

BUT I did try something different last night. DH had made a comment that most people in Europe eat mayo on their french fries and that when he was there he had a hard time finding catsup. And then I saw that new commercial for flavored mayo's so the little light in my brain came on. Mayo and horseradish mixed together - dip your fries - it was great - I may have found my new favorite way to eat french fries.

nhlivefreeordie
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
what he said

BUT I did try something different last night. DH had made a comment that most people in Europe eat mayo on their french fries and that when he was there he had a hard time finding catsup. And then I saw that new commercial for flavored mayo's so the little light in my brain came on. Mayo and horseradish mixed together - dip your fries - it was great - I may have found my new favorite way to eat french fries.

Tex, never thought of it on fries, but it does sound delicious, I have had a similar sauce with blooming onion...YUM!!!

TEX
08-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Tex, never thought of it on fries, but it does sound delicious, I have had a similar sauce with blooming onion...YUM!!!

lots of horseradish - does anyone know if it will grow down here in our heat - I sure hope my weather bug thingy on the computer is malfunctioning because it says the heat index is 121.

nhlivefreeordie
08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
lots of horseradish - does anyone know if it will grow down here in our heat - I sure hope my weather bug thingy on the computer is malfunctioning because it says the heat index is 121.

My Nourse catalog says zones 4-8 and a soil acidity of, 6.0 - 6.8.