PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Tank Maintenance

KarenBC
08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm wondering if I should be doing any regular maintenance on the electric hot water tank?

I found a brand new insulating kit at the swap shed, to wrap a tank in...anyone else have their tank wrapped?

nhlivefreeordie
08-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Wrapping will save you some, especially if the tank is located in an area that is colder than the rest of the house.
If you have an older tank, draining and checking the elements for mineral build up is a good idea, the more buildup you have, that more juice you need to maintain your temperature.

keydl
08-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Tank wraps are good - cut the heat loss about in half.

The other thing to do is to drain the crumbles out of the bottom of the tank the first time you need to depressurize the tank replace the boiler drain with a ball valve so the stuff stirred by the incoming will go out the drain. The stuff can also be vacuumed out with a wet or dry vacuum.

For DIY people the anode rod might be checked, it is sacrificial to protect the tank from corrosion. Depending on the pricing it may be cheaper to buy a new WH than a couple of anodes.

keydl
08-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Wrapping will save you some, especially if the tank is located in an area that is colder than the rest of the house.
If you have an older tank, draining and checking the elements for mineral build up is a good idea, the more buildup you have, that more juice you need to maintain your temperature.

Watts are watts - if they go in the tank they heat water, but when the elements are insulated they run hotter and fail sooner. Be very careful in cleaning them - used ones are delicate. I prefer to just replace for $8 the each - they will usually last 1 1/2 years with no anode.

KarenBC
08-19-2010, 02:31 AM
Thank you for the info. I'll definitely be wrapping the tank. It's fairly new - about 4 years, but no maintenance has been done. Now that I'm going to be responsible for all of the upkeep on the farm, I'm on a learning curve.

Will see if I can find some of my "how to" books and see if there's one on plumbing/water systems that will have an illustration of what the anode rod looks like and where it's located.

keydl
08-19-2010, 09:29 AM
It generally looks like a plug in the top, fits through a 3/4 pipe thread, most are 3-4 ft long. Find a source first, best I could do was $80 and a new WH was $230.