PDA

View Full Version : Trailer skirting material...?

jen_in_southtexas
12-29-2007, 10:46 AM
What is the least expensive kind of material that can be used to skirt my 32ft. camper trailer? I dont want to spend an arm and a leg on it. I originally wanted to use lattice but there is a good strong draft under the trailer especially when its cold and windy so i want something solid. Any suggestions would be appreciated. *Note: this trailer isnt going anywhere for a loooooooong time.

-j

DM
12-29-2007, 03:16 PM
The last one i did i wanted to last a while... So i waited untill Menards (box store) had pole barn metal siding on sale. I measured the lengths i needed (measure twice-cut once) and had them cut it all to length for me. They cut it for FREE!

I then dug a little trench around the mobile home, and stood the pieces of siding up into the trench, against the underside of the trailor. I overlapped the sheets and shot self tapping screws into the sheets with my cordless drill to hold them together... Then i back filled the trench to hold the siding up properly...

That was a few years ago, and it's still there and still looks great.

DM

MadTripper
12-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Funny as I was just checking some skirting out last night at my wife's uncle's place. I see osb being used around here. It is typically painted and mounted one way or another. I've also seen hay bales used but that seems like a bit of a fire hazard to me.

I like the metal roofing idea if you can dig that up. If you plan it right, you could re-use the roofing for your house or an outbuilding in the future.

Tripper

mike82934
12-30-2007, 05:27 PM
My trailer came with only corrugated metal (similar to what you would use for a metal roof) for the skirting. I knew that it wouldn't hold up against the wind, so I used OSB, trimmed to size with a jigsaw and attached with self-tapping screws. Then I laid the metal over that, to protect the wood from the weather a bit.
With a camp trailer, I see a lot of people using bales of straw, but I would try to cover them with plastic or a tarp to keep some moisture off of them. They'll probably still have to be replaced every once in awhile, though.

jen_in_southtexas
12-30-2007, 11:32 PM
I feel dumb asking this but what is OSB?

-j

mike82934
12-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Oriented Strand Board...I've heard some people call it chipboard.

DM
12-31-2007, 02:58 AM
Oriented Strand Board...I've heard some people call it chipboard.

Of course, chip board is something different. It's just chipped wood, chipped into small pieces and saturated with glue, then pressed into a board..

OSB has "waterproof" glue in it, and the wood that goes into it is cut on the "long side" of the grain of the tree... That's why it's called "strand" as in strands... It's called "orientated" because the long strands are orientated in the board in an "interlocking" fashion... All of that makes it a lot stronger board that resist water damage...

It still should be painted if you want it to last, and it's not bug restiant either... Ants and termites will eat it...

Long term, the metal is a lot better, i guess it all depends on how long you want it to last...

DM

leera
12-31-2007, 11:53 AM
When hubby and I needed to replace some of the skirting on our mobile home(we're in a park) we priced skirting,then went to Home Depot and got the metal roofing sections,and cut them to the length we needed.....we only needed to buy one piece,rather than spend $80.00 on actual skirting.

The metal roofing was brown on one side and white on the other,we just used it with the white side facing out to match the trailer.The cost at the time was around $15.00........not sure how much it runs now.

mike82934
01-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, you're right, DM. OSB is more durable, and also heavier.
Heck, you could even use chipboard for skirting if you really wanted to, so long as you painted/waterproofed it in some way. You could use just about anything, it's just a question of how long you want it to last.

Mac_Muz
01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
As of late I see Hillory signs in 4x8 plastic sheet, and so if it were me I would grab (at night) all I could find and face then to the inside and have a wild time doing it, for FREE.

eeyore
01-15-2008, 01:23 AM
The problem i have in using OSB for exterior or interior is it will swell with moisture. We quit using it on floors in bathrooms and kitchens because of the water and swelling problems tat developed in the one year warranty period. Once it swells it cracks and lets in more moisture and caused more problems.

If you use it, keep both sides painted and i would caulk the exposed ends to seal them before i screw it into place.

Danielle
01-15-2008, 07:19 PM
:D Mac Muz.....Hillary signs is really funny LOL.
Jen, have you ever heard of using straw bales and digging out the centers, filling them with potting soil or dirt and planting food and flowers in them? Not something I've ever tried but I think it'd sure look neat. If I remember right, a bale will last a couple of years that way although it will weather, of course.

nancy1340
01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
:D Mac Muz.....Hillary signs is really funny LOL. *
Jen, have you ever heard of using straw bales and digging out the centers, filling them with potting soil or dirt and planting food and flowers in them? Not something I've ever tried but I think it'd sure look neat. If I remember right, a bale will last a couple of years that way although it will weather, of course.

Dang Danielle, where have you been hiding? Great idea!
I knew about bales as skirting and for planting but never about combining the two.

Your good girl! ;)

Danielle
01-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Nancy....do you think they'd still be a fire hazard is used as planters? Seems like they'd stay too damp to be much of a problem.
Have you ever made a strawbale planter?

Deberosa
01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Nancy....do you think they'd still be a fire hazard is used as planters? Seems like they'd stay too damp to be much of a problem.

Here is a link to my blog where I wrote how I created a straw bale garden:

http://deberosahomestead.wordpress.com/2007/12/14/straw-bale-gardens/

nancy1340
01-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Danielle, You would want to make sure that there was no dry grass or shrubs near the bails if you were going to use them as skirting. A good way to make sure that if something did happen is to have a soaker hose laying on them at all times. If you had a grass fire near your home you could turn the sprinklers and that would pretty much assure that it wouldn't spread to you home. But then you'd have to be there to do that.

I don't know, I guess it's trade off. If you were short on yard space for a garden that would be a way to have one and not need a lot of working on it.

Deb's post shows you just how to use them as planters if you so choose. BTW Very good post Deb.

Harry_Chickpea
01-19-2008, 07:30 PM
If you have the time and the stamina, 6" concrete block is generally less than $1 per block, is fireproof, won't rot, and can be laid up with or without mortar for a few courses. Sometimes you can even get 8" block for free by asking after a mason has finished his work.

Re: OSB. The OSB used for flooring may be especially water resistant. In interviewing manufacturers that offered an option of OSB subfloors vs. plywood in trailers, ALL of them noted that the OSB was less likely to be a problem during flooding than plywood, which would de-laminate. The chipboard used under kitchen counters is generally NOT OSB.

bantyhen
01-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey--haven't been on this forum for a loooooong time--but wanted to tell you about what I discovered and used for skirting on my 30 ft trailer. There is a manufacturing place here in Western Washington that makes metal doors for regular housing. They sell off their doors that are not up to standard or cutouts from the doors that have windows in them, or even doors that have been previously sold but the buyer didn't pick up for either free or next to nothing. They even have made garden sheds and such from them at their place to give people ideas of how they might be used. I am here to tell ya--they sure have made one heck of a great insulated skirting for my trailer!!! If you look around in the local thrifty paper or on Craigslist, there might be something like that near you that you could use. Is at least worth the trouble to check around and see!!

Deberosa
01-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Hey--haven't been on this forum for a loooooong time--but wanted to tell you about what I discovered and used for skirting on my 30 ft trailer. There is a manufacturing place here in Western Washington that makes metal doors for regular housing. They sell off their doors that are not up to standard or cutouts from the doors that have windows in them, or even doors that have been previously sold but the buyer didn't pick up for either free or next to nothing. They even have made garden sheds and such from them at their place to give people ideas of how they might be used. I am here to tell ya--they sure have made one heck of a great insulated skirting for my trailer!!! If you look around in the local thrifty paper or on Craigslist, there might be something like that near you that you could use. Is at least worth the trouble to check around and see!!

Where in Western Washington do you get the doors? I am near Shelton and would like to score some of those doors!

bantyhen
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back on here!! Too many 70 hour work weeks--- :-/ If you go to the Seattle Carigslist site and type in trailer as you look through the ads there will be one that advertises for insulated panels--it shows up under the trailer heading as the word " skirting" is in the ad. They are based out of Yelm/McKenna and I think out of Puyallup as well. Nice to know there is someone on here so close--my property is out in Satsop, but I am still working on getting out there full time! Let me know if you can't find it--PM me and we can go from there!!

cordwoodguy
02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
GO TO A LOCAL BUILDING SUPPLY PLACE AND TRY AND BUY THE TOP / BOOTOM SHEETS FROM THE OSB SHIPMENT.THE STRAPS RUIN THEM AND I BUY THEM LOCALLY FOR $1.00 FOR A 4'X8' SHEET.

CORDWOODGUY