PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnuts

yotetrapper
09-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I have them, now what do I do with them? LOL. Whats the easiest way to remove the green hulls? And then, once I do, I just crack em with a hammer and pick the meats out? Also, I've tried to keep them uncracked before after getting the hulls off, and they got infested with little white worm thingys. So, start to finish, how do I handle these? Thanks for any help!

Angela

Mom5farmboys
09-12-2010, 04:52 PM
We always throw the walnuts in the driveway and let the car break off the green outer shells. As they become free of green layer simply pick them up until you have them all. If you use a knife to remove the green outer layer your hands will become stained a dark brown and it will stay there for a LONG time! (ask me how I know this! :))

Then we always put them in a pillow case or a mesh bag and let them hang for a few months to dry out. Over or near a wood burning stove is a great place for this, but not necessary.

For cracking we use a cinderblock and a hammer. If you do have a wood burning stove save the shells and use them as fuel. They burn hot and last a long time.

tomato204
09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
If the hulls are still green, fill a bucket with nuts and then water, let soak till they turn black. Makes a nice dark wood stain. Remove the nuts to the driveway as was said. After you have cracked the black walnut in half, I find a small pair of side-cutter pliers can free up the nut meats without too much more smashing.

yotetrapper
09-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

How do you use the side cutters? Do you use them to cut the piece of hard shell in the middle to more easily remove the meat?

DM
09-12-2010, 08:17 PM
It's easy to stomp on them in the drive, rolling your foot, and the husk will come right off. I then put them in an onion sack in the garage, and after drying i use a vise to crack them.

DM

MooseToo
09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
It's easy to stomp on them in the drive, rolling your foot, and the husk will come right off. I then put them in an onion sack in the garage, and after drying i use a vise to crack them.

DM

how high do you lift the vise in order to crack them on the first drop ?

DM
09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Not very high, IF the vise is heavy enough!

DM

tomato204
09-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Yes, use the cutters on the shell parts to get larger nut meat parts and less crumble.

Pokeberry Mary
09-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Is it vice or vise? You know the thingy in the basement attached to the work bench.

Also-- wear some rubber gloves. Black walnuts will turn your fingers black and they'll stay that way a LONG time.

The taste--I never was personally that fond of them--they don't taste like english walnuts, they are good in things like brownies that have a surrounding taste of their own.

Butternuts often grow in the same woodsy areas as black walnuts--if you find those on your land-- try to get some before the squirrels do. Very good!

mozarkian
09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
The driveway thing works, but be warned that the squirrels will rob them. Some years we put several buckets on the driveway just to pick up a small bucket full when they are ready...of course, sometimes the squirrels get ate too!

nhlivefreeordie
09-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Yote,

Pete probably already knows this, but that dye you get from soaking the green hulls in water is a good trap dye...:wink:

tomato204
09-13-2010, 09:07 PM
The best, and a good price.

Nancymw
09-14-2010, 12:18 PM
As Pokeberry Mary says - not fond of the taste. Gave them to our neighbor (the ones the squirrels did not get first) and he ran over them in the drive. I did save two and put in a bag and froze in case I needed it for medicinal purposes.

yotetrapper
09-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Oh yeah, I knew that Wayne, lol, it's what I've dyed my traps in since I was knee high to a grasshopper. The husks will certainly be being used for that!

BigOBear
09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
FIL long time ago told me you could put them in a toe sack and tie it off in a slow moving creek to kill fish downstream. Said the fish were still edible. Never really knew whether he was pulling my leg or not and didn't try it. Your post reminded me of his story so I went and looked...
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Trees-739/BLACKWALNUT-TREE.htm

bookwormom
09-25-2010, 01:30 PM
I read that if you put them in the freezer after they are hulled, they are easier to crack. Have not tried it. It is just too work intensive for me. When we still had the kids home, we had several banana boxes full and the kids hammered them open as they felt like it, and they did get them all done and eaten.

journey149
10-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I have not had them since we move from ga, where can you purchase them from

ohara1000
10-14-2010, 02:29 PM
I usually put on rubber gloves then step on the green hull and kind of roll it around. Then you can remove the hull easily. Spread them in a sheltered place to cure and dry out. After a couple of weeks they should be ready to crack. This year I plan to can them in 1/2 pint jars according to Jackie Clay's recommendations.
Sarah:meeting:

yotetrapper
10-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I ended up putting them in a gunny sack, tying it shut, and putting the sack of them on the dirt road out front here. Then I just kept running over them in my truck about 20 times or so and they were a breeze to de-hull. Now have them inside drying in the shell.