PDA

View Full Version : quart vs 1/2 gallon

Mad_Professor
09-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Any body have process times for 1/2 gallons?

Fruit, tomatoes, and Veggies. Hot/cold packs. Pickeled too if you have if

I'm over run and need to do 1/2 gals, in my big old mirrormatic canner....

Thanks in advance. MP

DiggingDogFarm
09-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Juice is the only thing that can be safely canned on 1/2 gallon jars.

Mom5farmboys
09-24-2010, 09:28 AM

Thanks in advance. MP

I canned whole turkey legs in 2 quart jars before. I put one jar in the middle of my pressure canner surrounded by 6 1 quart jars of turkey meat. I added 15 min to the processing time and it kept for well over a year until we finally ate it.

JarDude
09-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Juice is the only thing that can be safely canned on 1/2 gallon jars.

More precisely, grape and apple juice.

That said my old blue book says to increase the processing time 20% over what is listed for quarts. Take it FWIW.

Mad_Professor
09-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I saw the new recommendations only for grape/apple juices in BWB, and concerns of proper convection for other foods.

What I do not understand is why high acid foods such as tomato sauce, using a hot pack and a pressure canner cannot safely reach the proper temperatures? You could increase the pressure to 15 psi and get the works even hotter than 240 oF.

I'll play it safe and use up the rest of my quarts, and save the 1/2 gallons to store the sauerkraut in cold storage.

Will also try research past recommendations for 1/2 gallon canning to see what was done with success in the past.

JarDude
09-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I saw the new recommendations only for grape/apple juices in BWB, and concerns of proper convection for other foods.

What I do not understand is why high acid foods such as tomato sauce, using a hot pack and a pressure canner cannot safely reach the proper temperatures? You could increase the pressure to 15 psi and get the works even hotter than 240 oF.

I'll play it safe and use up the rest of my quarts, and save the 1/2 gallons to store the sauerkraut in cold storage.

Will also try research past recommendations for 1/2 gallon canning to see what was done with success in the past.

I wonder this myself. Technically tomato isn't a high acid food but that is why we acidify them.

The best reading about canning in 1/2 gallons is in the Ask Jackie archives.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/advice/aj61.html

After reading this I will be trying our favorite soup in 1/2 gals once I find a large enough pressure canner.

momma_to_seven_chi
09-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Times have changed to much. My grandma canned everything in a waterbath canner and mostly used half gallon jars because they had such a big family.
And..... nobody even died from it! LOL

I just add 20min to the qrt time. I figure it must be ok cause we are still alive and well.

JarDude
09-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Thanks in advance. MP

What size Mirro do you have?

Mad_Professor
09-24-2010, 05:20 PM
What size Mirro do you have?

Not real huge but I can do 7 qts and the double rack some pints on top.

JarDude
09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Not real huge but I can do 7 qts and the double rack some pints on top.

Ahh. So it is a 22 qt. I believe.

I tried to buy one on Ebay but didn't start looking until canning season was in full swing. Hopefully the prices comes down as we go into winter.

Mad_Professor
09-24-2010, 07:00 PM
I've got a whole bunch that Mom don't use any more, she is a "collector" that grew up on a farm in the depression, family of 12 that never had $$$ but never was hungry..

Also quite a few NOS gaskets. I prefer the wisteler canners to the gauged ones.

The mirrormatics are nice. I 've got this big one and two smaller ones ( 12-14 qt and 8 qt?) w/extra gaskets. She still won't part with the rest.....

JarDude
09-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I've got a whole bunch that Mom don't use any more, she is a "collector" that grew up on a farm in the depression, family of 12 that never had $$$ but never was hungry..

Also quite a few NOS gaskets.

NOS?

I prefer the wisteler canners to the gauged ones.

Whistler as in the Mirro weighted gauge type?

The mirrormatics are nice. I 've got this big one and two smaller ones ( 12-14 qt and 8 qt?) w/extra gaskets. She still won't part with the rest.....

Thats awesome. I have my moms 12 qt, my sisters 16 qt an 8 qt and 4 qt that my wife found at garage sale for 3 bucks each. All Mirros.

I would like to get the 22 qt for doing 1/2 gals and double staacked pints. I think it would really help speed up the big days of canning.

Sorry about the questions.

Mad_Professor
09-25-2010, 02:46 AM
NOS = new/unused old stock

Yes, the "wisteler" is the weighted type gauge

yotetrapper
09-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I would be lost without my 22qt........mine's not Mirro tho, it's Presto. Cooking for just me and Dh, I do mainly pints, and that thing holds a bunch of pints, lol.

Mad_Professor
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Not a recommendation nor an endorsement. Use at your own risk!

But talked to my mother who started canning in the depression. 10 psi for 20 min for 1/2 gallons of tomato sauce, hot pack. Guess I've been WAY over processing my quarts.

Her whole family (12) lived on a farm and off the woods (hunting, trapping, foraging). Grandma showed me which Boletes (shrums) were edible. They never had a food related problem and grew up on raw Jersey milk. They milked by hand and gave the barn cats a squirt every now and then....... : )