PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to add lemon juice to applesauce?

MotherCharlotte
09-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I made two quarts of applesauce yesterday, and today I'm going to make up two more and then can the lot. But I'm not sure if it's needed to add lemon juice. I poked around online and found a page with a discussion on the matter, and one woman said she contacted Ball about it and Ball responded that older recipes usually don't call for lemon juice, but that many newer varieties of apples are lower acid so the lemon juice is the new recommendation.

However I don't like those new sweet varieties of apples. I'm making my applesauce out of tart McIntosh apples, with a few Granny Smith thrown in. It tastes quite tart (even after I added a bit of sugar), and I'm worried if I add lemon juice it will be so tart my kids won't eat it. Am I safe to leave it out?

Anon001
09-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Keep in mind that I haven't canned applesauce, just apples. However, if you are using the water bath method, you must add the lemon juice, because the apples are not high enough in acid and water bath is for canning only high acid foods.

So.... is there a reason you can't use the pressure canner instead? If you can safely pressure can applesauce, I would think you wouldn't need the lemon juice. After all... the pressure canning is for lower acid foods.

JMHO,
Paul

MotherCharlotte
09-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Yes there is a reason...I don't have a pressure canner. :)

Thanks for the advice Paul, I will add some lemon juice then to be safe.

Anon001
09-26-2010, 12:18 PM

....oops..... can you borrow one?

MotherCharlotte
09-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Nope, I can't borrow one as I don't even know anyone else who cans. But, a pressure canner is certainly on my wish list. Maybe next year I'll get one. :)

JarDude
09-26-2010, 11:36 PM
I made two quarts of applesauce yesterday, and today I'm going to make up two more and then can the lot. But I'm not sure if it's needed to add lemon juice. I poked around online and found a page with a discussion on the matter, and one woman said she contacted Ball about it and Ball responded that older recipes usually don't call for lemon juice, but that many newer varieties of apples are lower acid so the lemon juice is the new recommendation.

However I don't like those new sweet varieties of apples. I'm making my applesauce out of tart McIntosh apples, with a few Granny Smith thrown in. It tastes quite tart (even after I added a bit of sugar), and I'm worried if I add lemon juice it will be so tart my kids won't eat it. Am I safe to leave it out?

I don't use or think you need lemon juice.

The USDA doesn't say anything about using lemon here either.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/applesauce.html

I loving using my pressure canners for things that they are needed for but will not use it for things that can be water bathed. I have canned all of my applesauce in the water bath.

ScrubbieLady
09-27-2010, 02:35 AM
I don't put lemon juice in my applesauce and I waterbath can it. Maybe the lemon juice is to put the apple slices in while preparing to prevent darkening of the flesh?

JulieBaby
09-27-2010, 12:49 PM
The instruction manual to my Presto 23-quart pressure canner specifically warns against pressure canning applesauce because the little bits that get in the water can clog the steam thingy.

Aseries
09-27-2010, 01:03 PM
The Ball Blue book doesnt even say a thing about it, other than using it to keep your apples from turning brown, and there is more than sufficient acid in apples depending on variety to keep it fine. I have 4 year old apple sauce canned in my pantry no lemon juice added. Its fine.

I just did 20lbs of Mc Intosh apples for sauce and didnt add a speck of lemon juice to anything. I just boiled it down, used a blender added cinnamon and bathed it according to the BALL Blue book directions...

But if your a paranoid cook add some, makes apples look pretty...

sissy
09-27-2010, 01:46 PM
I didn't see it in my ball book ether, I use fruit fresh or lemon juice to soak while peeling then rinse before starting. I also checked my notes for what apples ph is & looks like they have low enough ph level not to add acid. Hope this helps.
sissy

MotherCharlotte
09-27-2010, 03:31 PM
I didn't end up using the lemon juice after all, because I realized I didn't have a lemon! But I'm sure it's okay, judging from the amount of people who don't put it in.

tomato204
09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Some apples, (also some tomatoes) are advertised by the sellers as "low acid" when they are talking about the taste, not the actual ph. They taste sweeter because they have more sugar, not less acid. The tomato variety Jet Star is the only actual low-in-acid tomato that's commercially available, the others are high in sugar and so TASTE like there's less acid but there's plenty to can them in a water bath. If it makes you feel better, add lemon juice to whatever, but to be sure you could always get test strips from a brewing supply place, cheap by the hundred.

Bondo
09-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Haven't had any issue not using the lemon juice, and I do love to make applesauce! I think it is one of the easiest things to start with in fact.

liberty
09-28-2010, 03:17 AM

Thanks for the advice Paul, I will add some lemon juice then to be safe.

This was a while back but I remember pressure cookers and canners lined up at the salvation army. I imagine every time there is an estate sale they end up there. I used to find lost pieces like the weights at thrift stores.