PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Emergency Water Filter

CountryBertha
03-22-2011, 10:30 AM
If you are looking for a really good, really reliable inexpensive emergency water filtration system, one you can build yourself, try the Monolithic filter and two plastic buckets. This thing can be mounted on two #10 cans for emergency water, or even two large plastic garbage cans.

I am very pleased with the Monolithic and am including one complete system in each of the emergency storages for our family/extended family.

The Monolithic is a ceramic filter, it was developed by the Baptist Men organization who are emergency first responders during disasters. I paid $23.50 for the ceramic .5 filter, sock and spigot (plus tax/shipping), and bought 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot. The system comes with complete instructions for building it yourself. They will also sell you the system already mounted in buckets. All you add is dirty water.

To ensure that the emergency equipment is easily and quickly "grab and go", I am packing our emergency equipment in large roller suitcases or large curbside roller trashcans (for those family members who have pickups). Country dwellers likely won't have to worry about "grab and go", but as we've all seen from Katrina, cities are not where you want to be if the shtf. Emergency equipment/food will do nobody any good at all if you have to leave it behind.

The filter is a bit slow getting going when it's new but once the saturation point is met the flow rate really increases. I can definately see the need for a few gallons of canned emergency water to get the family through until the filter kicks in.

farmerj
03-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Couple links.
http://www.fortlewis.edu/academics/school_arts_sciences/physics_engineering/ewb_webpage/Current%20Web%20Page%20Supporting%20Docs/BSF/Basic%20info%20on%20BSF.htm

And the filter you actually refer to...

http://shop.monolithic.com/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter

CountryBertha
03-23-2011, 04:37 AM
farmerj, the link on the sand and rock filtration system is exactly the same type of system that was used to purify the water when I was a girl -- if the water had to be taken from a lake, river or creek. We didn't filter or do anything to the water from any well that was at least 1,000 feet deep or harvested rainwater. The only difference is we had the sand and rocks in trays and the water ran over each tray like a waterfall.

When I tell people about the "sand and rock system" they look at me like I just flew in from la-la land. Thanks for that link as well as the one for the Monolithic filter. I should have put on a link.

farmerj
03-23-2011, 07:17 AM
No problem. Always nice information to have on hand.

J R Adams
03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Just ordered an monolithic filter system and got very quick delivery. I would love to try it but don't want to activate the charcoal. Has anyone tried one of these things? I have seen the Babtist men in action and think it would be good if they developed it.

J R

farmerj
03-27-2011, 08:42 PM
I got buckets for free from my local bakery.

NCLee
03-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Just ordered an monolithic filter system and got very quick delivery. I would love to try it but don't want to activate the charcoal. Has anyone tried one of these things? I have seen the Babtist men in action and think it would be good if they developed it.

J R

If this system has instructions for replacing the charcoal, lay in a supply of same. Then, go ahead and try it. Get the learning curve behind you.

In a SHTF situation, it's far better to have experience with anything applicable, than it is to have to pull out the instructions and attempt xyz in times of stress.

The example that I most often use is to learn to bake biscuits. When supplies are critical and fuel is scarce isn't the time to burn the biscuits. Something that often happens to beginners. I know I've burnt my share. And have done the equivalent when trying to learn the how-to of many other things, too.

Just 2-cents, for whatever they may be worth these days.

Lee

farmerj
03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
The filters are pretty much single use. Much like a Berky.

Prairie
04-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Farmerj, I should have my slow sand filter up and running in a few weeks if the weather cooperates. I'll let y'all know how it goes, complete with the water sample tests.

farmerj
04-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Farmerj, I should have my slow sand filter up and running in a few weeks if the weather cooperates. I'll let y'all know how it goes, complete with the water sample tests.

Kewl, would be nice to see how it works and what you think of it.

I have the plans printed out and no excuse other than lazy for not having made one yet.

Winter here keeps me from projects like this.

Prairie
04-16-2011, 01:09 PM
My well water is not that good and I have been hauling water from town in 20 litre Reliance jugs. PITA is a good motivator. I'm just waiting for warmer weather since I don't want to do a bunch of work then have it freeze. I have the means of getting the water out of the well, and the materials to make the filter system, all I have to do is git 'r done!