PDA

View Full Version : home remedy ear cleaning

sunflower
05-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Does anyone have a home remedy for cleaning a dogs ears? I brought my dog to the vet because I thought she had ear mites. She had been scratching her ears so much that she was starting to lose hair around them. The vet said that she doesn't have mites and recommended "Swim Ear" to use in her ears once a week to clean them. My dog is a lab and loves to lay in the dirt and of course swim, so I guess that could be why her ears were dirty, duh! Of course she had some of the "Swim Ear" at the office made for pets, but its really expensive. I priced the "Swim Ear" for humans at my local drug store and although it is a little more reasonably priced, I think that I could make an all natural remedy. I was using peroxide, but after doing some research I found out that it could actually be worse on her ears.

Any suggestions or ideas would be ever so kindly appreciated!:) Thanks!!!!!

grumble
05-18-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but I've used warm vegetable oil. Warmed to maybe 100*, just enough to not burn or be too uncomfortable. The dog doesn't feel it when you put a few drops in his ear, but after a few seconds, he'll shake his head and clear it all out. So, don't do it next to your favorite couch or on your expensive rug.

This also gets rid of small ticks in the ears.

backlash
05-18-2011, 06:36 PM
To make an effective ear drying solution, you will need rubbing alcohol and distilled white vinegar. The mixture requires 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% distilled white vinegar. You will also need a small medicine dropper to administer the drops into the ear canal.
Read more: How to Make Your Own Ear Drying Drops and Prevent Swimmer's Ear | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_4475955_drying-drops-prevent-swimmers-ear.html#ixzz1MjaoBQBS) http://www.ehow.com/how_4475955_drying-drops-prevent-swimmers-ear.html#ixzz1MjaoBQBS

I made my own and it was cheap and it worked.
Should work for the dog as well.

12vman
05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I always used rubbing alcohol and boric acid powder. Pour a few ounces of the alcohol in a clear glass container, add about 1 level teaspoon of the boric acid and stir. Wait until the power settles and pull the clear liquid from the top. Make enough to fill the ear canals up. Let 'um shake it out and get the other ear the same way. If their ears stink or itch, they'll luv ya!

I've used this mixture on my dogs and cats for years. Cleans them out nice and pink. Heck, I use it myself so I know it's good... LOL

oldtimer
05-19-2011, 03:26 AM
Put in some hydrogen peroxide then once you've "boiled out" their ears, put a few drops of baby oil in them. This works great for rabbits too.

momma_to_seven_chi
05-19-2011, 02:27 PM
To make an effective ear drying solution, you will need rubbing alcohol and distilled white vinegar. The mixture requires 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% distilled white vinegar.

Yes, yes, yes. It's yeast in the ear that causes this not mites. You want to kill the yeast by drying the canal out. I wouldn't use the oil for yeast like "swimmer's ear" for mites, maybe, but not yeast. It will make yeast worse. I use rubbing alcohol plain, but you can certainly mix it with vinegar or simply try vinegar plain. Just do something that will kill the yeast.

Freya_Dawn
05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi there,

My dog woke me up around 2:30am this morning with an ear problem. I did a search on the internet and found these two recipes for cleaning out ears- here are the links:

Boric Acid recipe: http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html

Basic ear solution recipe from another source:

"I raised and bred Shar Pei. They are notorious for ear infections. I got tired of spending big $$$ for vetrinary or OTC remedies that just weren't that good.

Made my own and it worked very well and is simple and cheap.
1 part Hydrogen peroxide
1 part plain white vinegar
1 part rubbing alcohol
1 part water
(mix it fresh before each use please)

Apply into ear canal gently with (very clean) eye dropper.
rub it in well.
Clean and dry the ear with cotton balls.
Use weekly and I had very few ear infections again.

Source: Breeder, trainer---25 years"

Good luck, I'll be trying the solution on my dog's ears tonight.

Freya Dawn

grumble
05-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Excellent posts! Few things are better than learning something new.

Proof, once again, that I should listen before shooting my mouth off! Thanks!

sunflower
05-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Thats exactly her problem is that the moisture in the ears are causing infections. Thanks to all of you. As always a wealth of knowledge! I now have remedies to use and to share with others as well. Isn't knowledge a beautiful darn thing! :D

Again Thanks soooo much!

momma_to_seven_chi
05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Excellent posts! Few things are better than learning something new.

Proof, once again, that I should listen before shooting my mouth off! Thanks!

I bet the oil would be good for mites. Isn't that what we do for rabbit's ears when they have mites? We put in a couple of drops of baby oil. But he already has the diagnosis of swimmer's ear from his vet, so he knows it's not mites, it's yeast. It just takes a different treatment.

grumble
05-19-2011, 08:28 PM
I have a bottle of Swim Ear. If I'd done at first what I just now did, namely read the ingredients, I wouldn't be sitting here with my face hanging out. <G>

Ingredients: isopropyl alcohol 95%, anhydrous glycerin 5%

sunflower
05-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Grumble the previous post was right, the oil would have worked for ear mites. I am so happy that you took the time to post in the first place! Please don't let you face hang anymore!

sunflower
05-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Momma, for whatever its worth, I'm a girl. Forgot to insert the smiley face!!

momma_to_seven_chi
05-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Momma, for whatever its worth, I'm a girl. Forgot to insert the smiley face!!

Sorry. Her dog...her dog...her dog. Sorry. LOL

maritimemama
08-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I am curious too, my lab has the same issue but his is caused by yeast infections, i have taken him to the vets many times and their product never really works, the vet did say to feed him dry dog food with lamb base instead of wheat products

momma_to_seven_chi
08-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I am curious too, my lab has the same issue but his is caused by yeast infections, i have taken him to the vets many times and their product never really works, the vet did say to feed him dry dog food with lamb base instead of wheat products

Dog's ear infections are almost always yeast any more because the monthly HW preventative and flea preventatives kill mites.
Just stick something in the ear that kills yeast. A few drops of rubbing alcohol a few times a week will keep it under control once you get it killed off. Unfortunately, yeast reoccurs, so you have to do it on a regular basis. It's just part of a system-wide candida infection from too much grain and carbohydrates in the diet. People who feed raw actually have less problems with the yeast growth just because it doesn't have as much grain in the diet.