PDA

View Full Version : Pectin help plz

NancyJo
06-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone!! I just love this site!!:)
I have bought bulk pectin this year. Could anyone tell me how much I need to add to jam recipes? Most recipes I see are for 1 box of pectin. and that does not help me, as I don't have a box to see how many oz are in it.

Thanks so much

NancyJo

Junie
06-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a bag of Dutch Jell (bulk pectin) from the Mennonite store. It says to use 1/3 cup for 1 box of Sure-Jell.

Grendal
06-30-2011, 10:27 PM
I have a ratio.... 1/3 c pectin for 4 c fruit for most recipes.

NancyJo
06-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Thank you so much!!

BonnyLake
06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
There is a website called 'pick you own" that has lots of great info for DYI food projects - here is their page on pectin... very good stuff!

I always learn something new!

http://www.pickyourown.org/pectin.htm

NancyJo
07-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Now I need help with a recipe. I went to my amish freind today and got 20 quarts of strawberries. I would like to make strawberry rhubarb jam. I have bulk pectin ( from mennonite store). So If I did 2 cups berries and 2 cups rubarb and 1/3 cup pectin how much sugar would I put in it?

Thanks again
Nancy

Grendal
07-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Now I need help with a recipe. I went to my amish freind today and got 20 quarts of strawberries. I would like to make strawberry rhubarb jam. I have bulk pectin ( from mennonite store). So If I did 2 cups berries and 2 cups rubarb and 1/3 cup pectin how much sugar would I put in it?

Thanks again
Nancy

if you did 2 1/4th cup berries and rubarb, you can use 7 tablespoons pectin, and 10 cups of sugar...thats my most demanded version of it anyway...(very sweet variety)

The other way is 4 cups of crushed berries, 2 pounds rhubarb chopped and cooked in cup water, 4 to 6 cups sugar or honey (or a 50-50 Splenda/sugar blend), plus a 1/4 cup lemon juice. Rhubarb and strawberries, don't have a lot of pectin, so you'd need a package and a half of the boxed pectin, (boxes are 1.75 oz), so 5.25 tablespoons pectin will work. (none tooth decaying version)