PDA

View Full Version : Water is energy

randallhilton
07-16-2011, 11:35 PM
There was a discussion about shavers which led to a discussion about saving water while shaving, showering etc. We use water saving methods here because water = energy. It takes energy to pump the water and some energy to filter it. If I can use less water, I use less energy, it's that simple.

So, I decided to see how much water is required to shower and shave. We have a 1.7 gallon per minute shower head and it also has a shut off valve so that it's easy to stop the water flow. My shower routine is something like this:

Pre-soak from the head down.
stop the water
Lather my body
Lather my head
Start the water again and rinse everything
Stop the water
Shave (I don't use soap or shaving cream, just a disposable razor and water but you might want to use bath soap as a lubricant).
Start the water and rinse everything head to toe one more time.

This process gives me a shave and a shower with 2.5 gallons of water. If I'm extra dirty, it might double the amount. In the winter time I'll lose most of a gallon waiting on the hot water to get to the faucet.

If I have a big problem to solve all bets are off because I seem to do some of my best thinking while standing in the shower stream. :sarcastic:

I hope this helps you save water and energy.

patience
07-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Our shower had is supposed to be 2.5 GPM, just installed last week. We are did that and several other things to conserve water, since we are trying to live exclusively on rainwater catchment for our cistern. So far, so good. We have a city water hookup for a backup, but are trying this year to live without it. Paying the minimum monthly charge for the hookup is cheaper than hauling water if the cistern ran out.

Our other conservation efforts include a wringer washing machine that saves a LOT of water. 12 gallons in the washer and 6 gallons in the rinse tub will do 3 or 4 loads of laundry for us. The old automatic used 12 gallons to wash a load, and 12 gallons to rinse it, or 24 gallons per load. So, 3 loads of wash took 72 gallons!!! We are getting by on 1/4 of the water for laundry!

By using a dishpan in the kitchen sink, we save about 2 gallons each time we do dishes, too.

Showers, laundry, and dishwashing all use some HOT water, and that is a major energy user. The less hot water we use, the more we save on the electric bill.

AlchemyAcres
07-17-2011, 02:26 AM
I'm living away from my homestead temporarily......

We have the 1.5 gallon per minute Ultra Saver Showerhead here with the one/off button...makes saving water super easy.

The toilet is high-efficiency, ultra-low water consumption (1.28 gallon per flush)
It's amazing how well it works with such a small amount of water.

Hot water for showers and dishes only.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5YCS4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000H5WY9I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FMB6H9WMMZG67DCSA8B

~Martin

nadja
09-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Well, I think my wife and I are the ultimate in water savors. We live off the grid, totally on solar/wind. My water is in a 1500 gall above ground tank and brought into the house via a 12volt water pump. Since I have to have my water hauled in and it does get expensive, we have over the years learned a few tricks on saving water. First of all , we use all the left over dish water to flush the toilets with. In other words, when done with the dishes, we pour the dirty water into 5 gal buckets and use them to flush. Two for the price of one. When starting the shower, we use a 2 gal spicket under the faucet until the temp is right and also use that for flushing. You would be amazed at how much water this will save you over the course of a month.

I am also in the process of building a roof collection system for both my house and shop/solar building. I imagine I will get more then just a little water when it does rain.

randallhilton
09-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Excellent suggestions on re-purposing water.

Re rain catch: Depending upon your rain cycles, you might consider expanding your storage capacity if you get occasional gully washers.