PDA

View Full Version : Solar windmill pump

randallhilton
07-23-2011, 01:59 AM
We have a 20' deep or so hand dug well that we don't currently use. It can probably produce about a gallon a minute, maybe more, but that's plenty for our gardening needs. I've been looking at 12v well pumps and most are overkill for what our well can produce (not to mention the budget).

So, I'm wondering if I can build a small pump cylinder that uses leathers, a foot valve etc. that could be powered by a windshield wiper motor. I figure the pipe size would be 1" to 1.5". We wouldn't need a big flow, we'd just keep a storage tank topped off.

The wiper motor might be too weak so maybe a more robust motor is available without spending an arm and a leg?

I appreciate any experience you might care to share.

J R Adams
07-23-2011, 12:19 PM
We have a 20' deep or so hand dug well that we don't currently use. It can probably produce about a gallon a minute, maybe more, but that's plenty for our gardening needs. I've been looking at 12v well pumps and most are overkill for what our well can produce (not to mention the budget).

So, I'm wondering if I can build a small pump cylinder that uses leathers, a foot valve etc. that could be powered by a windshield wiper motor. I figure the pipe size would be 1" to 1.5". We wouldn't need a big flow, we'd just keep a storage tank topped off.

The wiper motor might be too weak so maybe a more robust motor is available without spending an arm and a leg?

I appreciate any experience you might care to share.

Clever idea. Question to clarify my understanding of your idea. You plan to use the reciprocating action of the wiper motor to operate a small home made piston pump as in a hand pump?

grumble
07-23-2011, 03:57 PM
I agree, that's a clever idea. Just out of curiosity though, wouldn't a $30 12v bilge pump from Harbor Freight and a float switch be easier?

randallhilton
07-24-2011, 05:09 AM
Clever idea. Question to clarify my understanding of your idea. You plan to use the reciprocating action of the wiper motor to operate a small home made piston pump as in a hand pump?

You're correct. I've already performed a proof of concept by installing a simple foot valve on the end of a section of 1" pvc pipe. When the pipe goes up and down, the action of the ball in the foot valve was able to raise water 20 feet.

I do have another plan that would look more like the stripper well pumps we Texans have for pumping crude out of the ground. The process is the same but it could work with any motor that's robust enough to spin a flywheel.

If I can get 1/2 gal. per minute during a 4 hour solar day that would be 120 gal. which is far more than I need for my small patch of dirt.

I agree, that's a clever idea. Just out of curiosity though, wouldn't a $30 12v bilge pump from Harbor Freight and a float switch be easier?

I don't think a bilge pump can lift high enough (over 15 feet). I've found another, relatively inexpensive pump (http://www.envservprod.com/Water-Spout-1-Complete-Pump-P1289C99.aspx), that might do the job but it has a stated service life of only 400 hours - I suppose it would last a couple of years so that might be worthwhile (but it doesn't win any Rube Goldberg points!)

I appreciate your questions!

grumble
07-24-2011, 01:35 PM
"I don't think a bilge pump can lift high enough (over 15 feet)."

My "emergency backup" water pump has a 23' lift and is 8 gpm. Obviously, the 8 gpm is at zero lift and would just be a dribble at 23' But, at 15', it should be more than 2 gpm.

Y'got me on the Rube goldberg points, I just can't compete there. <G>