PDA

View Full Version : German Shepherd ear problem

bopperman
01-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Does anyone know what might be affecting our Leo Thunderpaws ? His ears and especially his right ear itch him . He shakes his head and scratches it till it bleeds sometimes . The vet gives us an otic solution that gives temporary help for a week or two at best but it's 28 bucks a whack.We tried the purple stuff made with Gentian Violet and after a couple weeks his ear was swollen terribly. I can't see any mites or anything else that might be the problem . My old Long-haired Shepherd bitch has no such troubles despite living in close proximity everyday . Leo is 5 years old and from German parentage of the Shutzhund type . Very aggressive and high strung . Loves him some farm people though . And bacon .

Teg
01-05-2012, 12:48 AM
You can give them Benadryl, like 2 a day to help, we also used some anti itch spay from pet smart on our Shepherd when she had a hot spot during her last Heat. You can also try this Sentry HC Skin Remedy (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3604711) stuff they sell at Petsmart, works very well and seems to soothe itches, just have to rub it in.

Teg

Junie
01-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Try a few drops of slightly warm olive oil. It seems to help my shepherd when his ears get itchy.

Tarvae
01-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Try a few drops of slightly warm olive oil. It seems to help my shepherd when his ears get itchy.

You might try adding a drop of tea tree oil to that as well.

Mike LI
01-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Olive oil is also good for removing wax, in both humans and dogstheyalso sell ear wash kits at petco could be something in there, could be a bite. Could be some kind of algery. Any enviromental changes? Grass blankets soaps food treats? Sounds simple but I would start with the obvious. Benadril 100 MG per day and maybe either calamine or cortizone to relieve the itch.

Find the cause first the drugs are a temporary relief.

Food IMO is always a big culprit, had a problem with one of my dogs getting lumps changed his food lumps gone. Tests and biopsys showed nothing, go figure. Good luck with the pup let us know what ya find.

Mike

Junie
01-06-2012, 01:25 AM
You might try adding a drop of tea tree oil to that as well.
So far the olive oil has been working, but, if it doesn't, I'll sure keep that in mind. Thanks!

leera
01-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Well,if the vet is giving an otic solution,is he first checking for a bacterial infection or a yeast infection....each require different meds...

You said you tried the purple stuff,by that I'm assuming the Gentian Violet/Boric acid powder/rubbing alcohol solution....???

Our old dog had chronic ear infections his entire life,the poor dog,we'd get it cleared up,he'd be fine a for month or so,and then it would come back....

The only thing we found that worked was regularly cleaning his ears with a cleaning solution,then using the purple stuff once a week....

fizzle7033
01-08-2012, 02:01 AM
I would have the vet re check. It could be that your dog is getting different infections, one time could be bacterial another yeast. That being said, if your dog is prone to allergies I would think yeast. One thing that worked for our dog is changing her food to an alternative protein source, like some of the allergen foods made with potato and fish. We did this for her gastrointestinal problems (she almost died from an allergic reaction which caused internal bleeding) but as a secondary benefit her ear infections are completely gone! This is from a dog who was almost constantly battling ear infections! We also give her 1/4 cup of yogurt everyday. She is a bull terrier which weighs about 50 pounds, so your GSD could probably use the same or a little more. We feed her plain yogurt that isn't sugar free. Good luck!!

momma_to_seven_chi
01-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Most dog ear infections start out as yeast, then when the dog scratches it becomes bacterial.
I would clean the dog's ear with alcohol or vinegar once a day. Yeast it recurrent, so you will have to just watch it for life and keep killing it off with either alcohol or vinegar. It's just a candida infection that becomes more external in the ear. Sometimes switching foods to a higher protein, no corn, type helps. But it is usually simply yeast as the underlying issue.

annabella1
01-10-2012, 04:50 AM
vinegar is both an antibiotic and an antifungal it also has antiviral uses. If you don't know the source of the itching it is the best bet for treatment. It does tend to dry the skin so use the oil afterwards.

opsrto
01-12-2012, 10:48 AM
We used black walnut extract but I think that was for mites.

Teg
01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Something I found, not sure if it will be useful but information nonetheless.

Ear infections fall under two different categories based on their location:

Ear disease—the medical name is “Otitis Externa” (inflammation of the Outer ear canal)
Middle & Inner Ear Infections
Causes of ear disease (Otitis Externa)/ear problems can be a result of the following:

Allergies: atopy (allergies caused by airborne particles; sources include: pollens, molds, and dust mites; often seasonal) or food allergies
Parasites: ear mite; itching can be intense
Infections due to bacteria and yeast Malassezia pachydermatis; (if ear environment changes due to allergies, changes to hormone levels and moisture, breakdown of ear’s defenses will cause bacteria and yeast to multiply)
Foreign Bodies; presence causes irritation
Trauma
Hormonal abnormalities; Thyroid hormone, glucocorticoids, and sex hormones have a bearing over skin and ear conditions
Ear Environment; Conditions for bacteria and yeast to thrive: a warm, dark, and moist ear canal
Other causes: Rare hereditary diseases for certain breeds and lines.
Other notes:

Tell-tale signs of an ear infection: foul odor, yellow or brown waxy discharge
Left untreated, infections can develop more problems and eventually reach the middle and inner ear regions.
About Middle & Inner Ear Infections in Dogs

Requires prompt attention for treatment and diagnosis
Hearing and balance control are controlled by the middle and inner ear
Hearing loss, loss of balance, and other neurological problems are observed
*Conditions of the middle and inner ear are extensions of infections from the outer ear.

Infectious agents that are isolated as infectious agents in middle & inner ear infections include:

Staph, Strep, and Pseudomonas bacteria
Malassezia or Candida yeast

(Source: Drs. Foster & Smith Educational Staff)

http://www.cesarsway.com/askthevet/skincare/Facts-on-Ear-Infections-in-Dogs

Landscape Lady
02-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Your dog probably has a common problem..Called a piece of grass seed (foxtail, etc) deep in the ear. All the medications in the world won't help. The shaking of the head is a definite indication. Your vet should know this. A light anasthesic is given and the object is removed.