PDA

View Full Version : Bookkeeping/accounting /spreadsheet

stickbowhntr
01-24-2012, 07:22 PM
What are you guys using for small business stuff? I am looking to get something to keep records and its been along time since I was in business and lots of improvements to what I had.Checking, accounts recievable/payable , inventory...etc.

J R Adams
01-24-2012, 07:28 PM
What are you guys using for small business stuff? I am looking to get something to keep records and its been along time since I was in business and lots of improvements to what I had.Checking, accounts recievable/payable , inventory...etc.

JMO but what ever you use you better understand it and keep hard copy back up that you can manually keep when TSHTF.

backlash
01-24-2012, 09:52 PM
My brother used Quickbooks.
It isn't cheap but it saved him a lot of headaches.

BWHLover
01-24-2012, 10:46 PM
I use quickbooks. With that said, I also purchase file folders and portable file buckets. I have keep a hardcopy of each and every receipt.

My husband tells me that I am the paper queen:
I have cancelled checks from 1985 forward. (My CPA stated for me not to ever get rid of them).
I have completed tax forms from 1979 forward. (My CPA stated for me not to ever get rid of them).

Paper is king in an IRS Audit. (Been there done that).

farmerj
01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I use quickbooks. With that said, I also purchase file folders and portable file buckets. I have keep a hardcopy of each and every receipt.

My husband tells me that I am the paper queen:
I have cancelled checks from 1985 forward. (My CPA stated for me not to ever get rid of them).
I have completed tax forms from 1979 forward. (My CPA stated for me not to ever get rid of them).

Paper is king in an IRS Audit. (Been there done that).

I'd be finding a new CPA or at least get a clarification on what to keep.

Anything over 7 years is pointless and a waste of space.

Ourselves, we use quicken home and office. Simple enough and covers anything else we want to do with it.

BWHLover
01-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Ourselves, we use quicken home and office. Simple enough and covers anything else we want to do with it.

We do payroll so Quicken will not work.
The IRS Auditor told my CPA after the Audit that I was the most organized small home business he had ever seen. (The audit was personal & business together).

DavidOH
01-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Some of the popular ones are
Quickbooks: Easy to learn, not cheap, look for rebates
Peachtree Accounting: Complete Accounting software package, Not cheap, more difficult to learn

GnuCash: Free, huge file
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-personal-finance-software.htm#GnuCash

Plowpoint
02-24-2012, 02:40 PM
I could not find what I needed to really run my sheep farm right, so starting in 2008 I made my own spreadsheet using Excel. It is always being fine tuned, but I am happy with the results now, I especially like how Excell and Dates work well together. With my custom system I enter a daily worksheet (about 10 inputs) and from that it generates a lot of averages, and my farm's worth per day.

I keep tabs on what my farm is worth every day as it subtracts out the value of my hay stockpile, silage stock pile, grain stock piles, etc as the sheep dwindle it down, while keeping track of what my lambs, breeding stock, wool and pelts are worth as they grow. From that I can tell you every day what my farm is worth.

I also track how many sheep are on the farm, my lambing averages, average flock size, and predicted flock sizes based on averages since 2008.

And finally I keep track of my expenses and income as well. That is the more simplistic side of the Spreadsheet, but so far I am quite happy. I recently went to the FSA for a loan (more sheep) and they were impressed that I had all the production records that was required without hunting for it. Granted it takes awhile to develop, but once it is made, Excel works great because you can customize it to your farm, and how your farm works.

farmerj
02-24-2012, 02:48 PM
you could also look into a program called pc/MRP.
http://www.pcmrp.com/

MRP is Manufacturing resource planning. Sounds big, but you can set it up for farming. Just takes some thinking of the process.

You can also look into Farm Management software like this.
http://www.farmfiles.com/demos.html

Bondo
03-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I would have to 2nd quickbooks if you are able to cover the cost. I work for a decent sized small business ($2.5 mil a year sales), and it keeps us together.

For my small media company that I am trying to get rolling, I am trying out gnu cash as mentioned above. It is free, but seems pretty clunky. Quickbooks is cake to use, just to darn expensive to justify for something I don't have off of the ground too far.

Other than this, I have a big envelope for receipts and one for invoices. That's it.

Tod
10-28-2012, 04:13 PM
I was dissatisfied with quickbooks and nothing else looked particularly good either so very quickly I started working on a custom spreadsheet that meets my needs exactly. Data entry is about as simple as it can get and the output is exactly the information I want and need. For the first few years I refined it each year as I noticed improved ways of doing things, but now it is about perfect for me. It would entirely useless for someone in another field, but for me it works well.

Selena
10-30-2012, 01:40 AM

Not if it is payroll related - those records should be kept. And depending on what type of deductions you claimed, keeping the records may be necessary. The other wild card in the record keeping equation is mergers/acquisitions/fed shutdown. While I am all for secure disposal of no-longer-needed records, I error on the side of caution.

I've used Quickbooks for years - always did payroll manually (not difficult with a single employee). Quickbooks payroll is an add-on I believe (aka more money) - may not be worth the cost.