PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene for heating oil?

SevenCreeksSap
01-26-2012, 12:16 AM
I dont want to have to purchase a minimum of 150 gals of home heating oil ( 500-600 bucks)for the furnace because we're burning wood during the days. I probably have 40-50 gallons of oil in the tank. Is it okay to mix kerosene from the pump at the station into the heating oil to stretch it thru march-april? Maybe 15 gallons at a time.

MichaelK
01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi SCS
Kerosene is physically thinner than heating oil. This may or may not be a problem for your fuel pump and the burner orifice.

Diesel fuel may be a closer match than kerosene, thickness wise, and likely more commonly available also. Off-road diesel might be cheaper if it's available in your location. How much is a gallon of kerosene there?

Best thing for you to do is look up the manufacturer of the furnace and contact them directly. They'll know what would work with their product.

lunghd
01-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Agreed. Run what ya brung. I won't say that every oil furnace is the same... only what I did when I had an oil furnace in an old mobile home.

Yep - there are different burner nozzle orifice sizes and your furnace will burn better with the proper orifice for the fuel being used. They aren't hard to change with basic tools and common sense. (Same with the thermocouple - which is the most common thing to fail on oil, gas, propane appliances. Easy fix.)

Having said that; years ago I burned primarily heating oil until I realized the darn thing ran quite well on K1 kerosene. K1 was at the time cheaper than heating oil. I also put in diesel as it was often cheaper than kerosene. Off road diesel is even less expensive. I also dumped the oil from oil changes into the tank but NEVER when it was low on fuel.

I'm not recommending you run any fuel "straight" other than the type oil your furnace takes... however, I personally mixed & matched with a notion of trying to maintain the same overall viscosity of the fuel. A little waste motor oil... a lot of kerosene...

I personally would not have any issues running kerosene on that same furnace today - my son, in fact, lives in that trailer now and that's all he can afford to do is buy K1 for it. Running fine all these years later.

I would change the filter (about $2.00 new) annually if you are mixing and matching. Debris will clog the orifices if you're not careful.

If you're concerned about different fuels - talk to a heating oil guy about what size orifice to run for your furnace and fuel. True Value hardware had orifices locally.

Wyobuckaroo
01-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I haven't bought any "home heating oil" But know that in this area, the price at the pump for K1 kerosene is $4.59-9. And 60-40 mix red off road diesel is $3.43-9 right now.

I guess the first thing to do is check with your furnace, furnace pump manufacturer to see what fuels are recommended.

Good luck

JarDude
01-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Heating Oil=Diesel Fuel.

J R Adams
01-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Heating Oil=Diesel Fuel.

Burn whatever you want. The difference between Home oil, K-1 and J-1 is the refining, primarilary the amount of wax in the fuel that will cause it to solidify at low temp. D-2 & D-1 have additional additives for internal combustion engines. My organic chemistry is rusty but I think the biggest difference you might experience is odor.

SevenCreeksSap
01-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Okay Thanks. K 1 is btw 3.80 and 4 right now and I'd just like to stretch it out and not have to buy bulk. We're having a really mild winter and I keep an eye on the thermostat (much to her delight). I figure I might get through with 30-40 gallons if this weather holds out, but it is only january. Still got lots of wood too.

JarDude
01-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Burn whatever you want. The difference between Home oil, K-1 and J-1 is the refining, primarilary the amount of wax in the fuel that will cause it to solidify at low temp. D-2 & D-1 have additional additives for internal combustion engines. My organic chemistry is rusty but I think the biggest difference you might experience is odor.

More or less. So why burn K1?

It costs more, is lighter fuel, has less BTU.

If you're going to the pump to buy fuel buy D2, preferably off road. No/less taxes yet higher BTU then K1. Even D1 is heavier and cheaper then K1.

J R Adams
01-26-2012, 10:24 PM
More or less. So why burn K1?

It costs more, is lighter fuel, has less BTU.

If you're going to the pump to buy fuel buy D2, preferably off road. No/less taxes yet higher BTU then K1. Even D1 is heavier and cheaper then K1.

There's so little difference, burn what ever is least expensive and works for you.

JarDude
01-26-2012, 10:29 PM
There's so little difference, burn what ever is least expensive and works for you.

Gasoline is cheaper. Throw some of that in there.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

12vman
01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I'd be worried about pump lubrication. When they changed diesel, a lot of trucks had issues with fuel pumps. Many were adding crankcase oil to the fuel to save the pump. An oil furnace pump is a lot like a fuel pump.

K-1 will cut the heating oil somewhat and cause it to lose some lubricating properties. I wouldn't thin it out too much but a blend should be OK. I've done it before when I got low..

lunghd
01-27-2012, 03:21 AM

Dear God, don't even joke about that! (I know you're joking... but guarantee that someone, somewhere will think "Why not!?") Mobile homes will burn fast enough without any help from a furnace bomb.

SevenCreeksSap
01-28-2012, 09:52 PM

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

I guess I know better than that :rolleyes:, although I agree some people might try it. I heard on radio news yesterday about an amish guy in Pa that was stoking his woodburner with kerosene, and it must have atomized and flashed back in an explosion, and killed his 4 year old boy, and put him and other son in hospital with 3rd degree burns. Thats why I wasnt sure about the kerosene in the oil furnace. I know it doesnt burn like gas but knew there's a difference.

J R Adams
01-28-2012, 10:46 PM

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Good you brought that up. A lot of KEROSUN heaters blew up because someone put kerosene in a used gasoline container to fill their kerosene heaters.

If you're going to hand carry any fuel oil etc. in to supplement your supply be sure NOT to use any containers that have been used for gasoline.

kfander
01-29-2012, 09:43 PM
It probably depends on your furnace. We use kerosene in the winter, fuel oil the rest of the time, which is what a lot of people do here, and is recommended by the fuel company that we buy our heating oil from. We have an outside tank and, being thinner, there are fewer cold-related problems with kerosene. Yes, when we switch to kerosene, it is just added to the fuel oil that is already in the tank, with never a problem relating to mixing the two. I just can't state that this is true of every unit available.

Mad_Professor
01-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Jet A, a higher grade of kerosene will work too.

Airports have it from repairs that they cannot reuse in planes.

It's much better than any diesel.

JarDude
01-30-2012, 02:15 PM
It's much better than any diesel.

How???????

gregabob
02-22-2012, 03:04 AM
JET-A is more like Kerosene than Diesel. More highly refined than either. It has to be able to flow at well below zero temps. I haven't used it in a furnace, but it works well in oil lamps, just has a smell to it.

J R Adams
02-22-2012, 11:46 AM
JET-A is more like Kerosene than Diesel. More highly refined than either. It has to be able to flow at well below zero temps. I haven't used it in a furnace, but it works well in oil lamps, just has a smell to it.

That's to get the pariffin (wax) out of it.