PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene smell

offgridbob
02-22-2012, 01:22 AM
kerosene heaters even when adjusted right always seem to leave a small bit of kerosene smell. Is there anyway to get rid of that ?

12vman
02-22-2012, 11:38 PM
The best way to avoid the smell is not to spill a drop anywhere outside the tank. Running the flame too high or low will make 'um stink too..

Does your wick have any black build up on it? Is there any possibility of moisture being in your fuel?

MichaelK
02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I have a Corona DK heater. It helps a lot to light it outside and let it get hot outside first before moving it in. Once at operating temperature you get less fumes. You'll get the least fumes when burning at a medium high setting; one that gives you a clean blue flame at the burner.

If you're going to burn kerosene inside the house, then you must get one of these CO detectors.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?keyword=carbon+monoxide+detector&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1

Don't kid yourself that everything will be OK. I woke up one night with a bad headache. Maybe a little later and I would have woken up dead. After purchasing a detector, I could see that I was producing detectable CO every single time I was using my kerosene burner. You can operate the heater safely, but the detector helps a lot in knowing how best to run your heater.

Axehandle
02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Instructions for wick type heaters always state to use CLEAR kero.
Where I live both clear and dyed kero are sold , but clear is harder to find.
I have replaced wicks for many neighbors who complained of a strong odor after using dyed kero for only two tanks in their portable heaters.
The dye contaminates the wick and more or less plugs the fibers. This results in very uneven burning.
Changing the wick then flushing out the tank and filling with clear kero solves the problem.

offgridbob
02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
I was wondering if the die might be part of the problem

hunter88
02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Sorry I do not have a brand name, but I bought a kerosene additive at Menards. It came in different scents like pine or some kind of flower. I never could smell any scent, but it did seem to cut the kerosene smell. I also noticed the condition of the wick was much better, and didn't require a cleaning, the way it did before using the additive.

The only time I ever got a kerosene smell was when I turned off the heater. So in my case I always set it out on the deck when I shut it off, then brought it back in a few minutes later.

12vman
02-24-2012, 01:56 AM
That red kerosene isn't good. I ran it for a short while and it ruined my wicks. Had to replace all 3 of them..

I made it a habit to add a little dry gas to my kerosene. ~3 tablespoon full per 5 gal. seemed to work for me.

offgridbob
02-24-2012, 09:59 PM
OK I'll bite, what is dry gas ?

Axehandle
02-24-2012, 11:02 PM
OK I'll bite, what is dry gas ?

Ethanol , the additive we in the North put in our cars in the winter to remove any water in the fuel.A common brand name is HEET.
Seldom need it now since the gas companies add it to the fuel already.

12vman
02-24-2012, 11:18 PM
I just bought a bottle at a car parts store and dumped a little in my 5 gal. can before I filled them.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/STP-5-25-oz-gas-treatment/_/N-262d?itemIdentifier=248088_0_0_

J R Adams
02-25-2012, 12:29 PM
That red kerosene isn't good. I ran it for a short while and it ruined my wicks. Had to replace all 3 of them..

I made it a habit to add a little dry gas to my kerosene. ~3 tablespoon full per 5 gal. seemed to work for me.

I thought you ment Heet or a similar product and not gasoline. I'm glad that was clarified.

12vman
02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
A little snort of good vodka, gin, or moonshine would work too but that might be considered alcohol abuse.. ;)