PDA

View Full Version : Water Bricks

boatchick18
03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Water Bricks?

http://www.waterbrick.org/index.php

Looking for some different ways to store water and although these are more pricey than your standard water jugs, it appears they will have a longer life.

There are several reviews on-line but looking for some real life users.

Thanks!

grumble
03-05-2012, 08:16 PM
...although these are more pricey than your standard water jugs...

Umm, yup.

Never used them, and don't guess I will. They do look pretty convenient and handy, though.

DavidOH
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
An interesting concept. I'd like to see them build that using blocks filled with water.

They will hold dry goods too. Imagine a years supply of grains stacked to form a wall.
Yup, over priced for now.

offgridbob
03-07-2012, 12:44 AM
A great concept except the price is a little steep at 17.95 then add at least another 3.00 for shipping, now it's 21.00. I can buy a 55 gal water container new for 35.00 without shipping (home Depot) That would be about 15 water bricks @ 20.00 a brick, Gee only 300.00 dollars. I'll pass unless I can get them for about 5.00 apiece. I bet they don't sell them to the poor african nations for twenty a piece.

randallhilton
03-07-2012, 04:36 AM
I do like the 3.5 gal. size since it would only weigh a bit over 30 lbs - easy enough for most people to toss around.

But to use them to store a meaningful supply of water - let's say a meager 1 gal. per day X 4 people x 14 days would require nearly $300 worth of jugs when a $15 - $50 barrel would hold the same amount.

Academy sports has somewhat similar jugs for about half the money.

boatchick18
03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I appreciate the opinions and they are all very fair.

I can't find a 55 gallon drum that I can get here for less than 90 dollars.

There are some places that sell the Water Bricks with Free Shipping so that does help with costs.

Currently I have my water in 2 liter bottles but was looking for something more. I don't really have a place to put a 55 gallon drum of water unless it's outside - not sure how smart that is to do though...

I appreciate everyones help.

oldtimer
03-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Those things are the coolest Legos for grownup kids I've ever seen.

However, if I had money to invest in water storage I would invest it in constructing an underground cistern which could hold thousands of gallons long term while being under ground and out of the way yet easily accessible if I need it.

In fact, this cistern can be built so as to collect the water from off your roof so you can continue to add to your water supply even when the municipal water source is not there and when the power is out.

MooseToo
03-08-2012, 10:37 AM

There are some places that sell the Water Bricks with Free Shipping so that does help with costs.

Currently I have my water in 2 liter bottles but was looking for something more. I don't really have a place to put a 55 gallon drum of water unless it's outside - not sure how smart that is to do though...

I appreciate everyones help.

if you're limited to something like the "water bricks" why not try a google search for plastic containers and see if anything similar turns up -

Faith123
03-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Those water bricks look pretty cool.

We built a 2500 gallon pond and bought a water purifier. That's our emergency water. The pond liner was probably only $200 or so, but now it is a full time hobby with fish (emergency food!), pump, UV clarifier, and filter. Still surprisingly cost effective if you are innovative with engineering things yourself....

For everyday use, I have a bunch of these coleman 5 gal dealies:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Expandable-Water-Carrier-5-Gallon/dp/B000088O9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331331395&sr=8-2

They are CHEAP. I wouldn't use them for long-term storage, though. Amazingly, at that price, they aren't completely water tight! They do the job for now until we get a well in, though. They don't make the water taste 'plasticy' either.

karlamaria
03-09-2012, 07:31 PM

I appreciate everyones help. murdocks selling 55 gallon barrels once used for olives, 35.00 and they have spigots on them! If you can find a murdocks I say get these.cheaper and holds more.